got dana front when i bought my path 02' need dana 44 rear

I am not sure ware to get a dana 44 rear for my pathy I now have stock rear end and a dana 44 straight axle front on leafs the back has been converted to coil springs i am new to pathy's and need advice on ware to find this rear end and how hard it is to do it your self, any advice will be great ty.

First why do you want to use rear 44 ? The ring and pinion is smaller then nissan . You would have to adapt parking brake to work . You would have to redo brake line fitting s and any type of spring perch to mount to your pathfinder . Oh ya almost forgot driveline u joint . The ONLY advantage I could think of is ring gears are cheaper . There is no advantage in running front 44 and rear 44 . WE as a group are more or less forced to use 44 fronts or build custom front axle's. I think if you ask most people here ,they would use a nissan axle if it were available. (Steven at Rugged Rocks has new diamond axle available using h233 3rd member) Good luck on your choice .

First why do you want to use rear 44 ? The ring and pinion is smaller then nissan . You would have to adapt parking brake to work . You would have to redo brake line fitting s and any type of spring perch to mount to your pathfinder . Oh ya almost forgot driveline u joint . The ONLY advantage I could think of is ring gears are cheaper . There is no advantage in running front 44 and rear 44 . WE as a group are more or less forced to use 44 fronts or build custom front axle's. I think if you ask most people here ,they would use a nissan axle if it were available. (Steven at Rugged Rocks has new diamond axle available using h233 3rd member) Good luck on your choice .

I think you are misunderstanding. He thinks he needs a Dana 44 rear to match the Dana 44 front. He thinks that a dana 44 front and Nissan rear are incompatible due to the gear ratios. So he's asking where he can get a matching Dana 44 rear and how hard it would be to install.

Edited by 1994SEV6

Sorry I think i only read what I wanted . HAHA Reminds me of my 10 year old. OK I am sure you could find a gear ratio to match front 44 . It will be easier in long run . I think these are the ratio's available. 4.11,4.37,4.62,4.88(HARD TO FIND),4.90,5.14 ?,5.38 . I think that covers it. This is what I found when I was looking for gears to match my toyota front axle. I might of missed one ,but these should cover most axle ratio's unless you have something like 3.55 in front which you do not want.

yes i got dana 44 front need to match gear ratios what is my best bet? thanks for calling me a ten yr old had a 93 rx7 ran 9's in Q mile but this is new just need help is all

ok i got a dana 44 front what u suggest i do with my stock rear end i need four wheel drive again this is all new to me just wana run with the jeeps this summer

ok i got a dana 44 front what u suggest i do with my stock rear end i need four wheel drive again this is all new to me just wana run with the jeeps this summer

I think the next step is to find out what gear ratio your front is.

I am not sure ware to get a dana 44 rear for my pathy I now have stock rear end and a dana 44 straight axle front on leafs the back has been converted to coil springs i am new to pathy's and need advice on ware to find this rear end and how hard it is to do it your self, any advice will be great ty.

First off, Welcome to the forum bud! I used to live in Yakima, Grandview, Mabton and Nachez...certainly miss the NW!!

Second, doing a solid swap is a lot of work, but if your patient you will have a sweet ride when your done. I have done several, and am in the process of gathering parts to do my WD21...this forum provides a lot of great information, but sometimes you have to weed through the BS to find the gems. ;)

If you are mechanically inclined, this will be nothing for you...and by your post about the track time, I assume you know your way around a tool box.

Sorry I think i only read what I wanted . HAHA Reminds me of my 10 year old. OK I am sure you could find a gear ratio to match front 44 . It will be easier in long run . I think these are the ratio's available. 4.11,4.37,4.62,4.88(HARD TO FIND),4.90,5.14 ?,5.38 . I think that covers it. This is what I found when I was looking for gears to match my toyota front axle. I might of missed one ,but these should cover most axle ratio's unless you have something like 3.55 in front which you do not want.

I have yet to find a place that sells a 4.62 ratio for a Dana 44. Link me please?

I think the next step is to find out what gear ratio your front is.

Dana axles (if they are un tampered with) are all pretty universal, and have a tag bolted onto the differential cover with the ratio stamped onto it. It will be on the left side of the diff cover (long tube side). You can also run the numbers that are stamped in the side of the tube online, and get all the information you will need...(if you can find the numbers that is.)

According to the pro's you can run a gear ratio within 5% meaning that if your Pathfinder has the HG46 ratio (4.62) you can safely run a 4.56 ratio in your new Dana 44 front. I just recently did some serious digging to try and match ratio's with my current build... I spoke with tech's from Randy's R&P, and Yukon Gear, both of which advised that the above 5% threshold is true and correct. Closer is better, but sometimes you have to deal with what you have, especially if you are on a budget...(like me.) :D

Keep us updated, and for the love of gravy take some pictures!

Hi czseven . I was refering to my reading on 10 year old comment not you. The first thing you will need to do is pop front cover off of dana 44 . If your hubs are unlocked you should be able to turn front driveline . There should be a stamped number on side of gear that says ratio.From there you can find out what type of gears you need for rear end . I was running a IFS in front and detroit locker in rear and was able to go where most jeeps went. With your SAS and gears you should have no problem following your friends.(although lockers would be nice).Tmoore is right max 5% on ratio difference. I run 4.88 front 4.90 rear.

Sweet, looking forward to seeing your rig....

You could go with a spool in the 44, they can be had pretty cheap...or go Lincoln Locker baby!!! Weld that sucker up! With manual hubs it makes the possibility's endless!!!

so i can just go with difrent gear set in back and delete the swap to a different complete rearend correct then just need some lockers i am new but cant i just do a little welding or lockers that important? by the way like i said i am new to alot i have a toggle switch in cab not sure what it does could it b for locker in front i know it does nothing when i flip it. so how to tell if there is a locker in front?? one more thing lol my exhaust is in the way in front for my drive line sure i can take it to a local exhaust shop for that?

Edited by czseven

You will need to have exhaust work done, also need to do some fab work on that cross member also. I will post some pics of mine. DO NOT weld front diff gears unless all you do is mud.From looking at pics it does not look like you have air locker. I did not notice front bump stops .Being you have front spring under make sure front pumpkin won't hit oil pan . This would be VERY bad. You do not have to do anything to your front end except figure out gear ratio. A lock right or other brand of lunch box locker will work just fine. Also cheap and EASY to install .

• Like 1

Looks good! Did you do all of that or did you buy it that way?

Getting the front ratio as close to the rear is the goal with gears.

Fabricate a custom crossmember, and have your exhaust worked so you can hook up that drive shaft.

If your axle has lock in lock out hubs (manual hubs), welding the front is not an issue. I have done it on just about all of my rigs and have yet to have any issues. Of course you would not be running the hubs engaged on the pavement anyway....

i bought it this way and no manual hubs infront. so i need to get or find a set of gears for front that matches the back wich is??? also just what kinda fab work on cross member??? boy i cant wait to get this done...

does anyone make or sell cross members?

Edited by czseven

As for gears, on your passenger side fender there is a tag riveted to the inside of it (under your hood) towards the firewall. On that tag there will be an HG43, or an HG46 designating your gear ratio. It is more than likely going to be HG46 which is a 4.62 ratio. Unfortunately there is not a 4.62 ratio for the Dana 44 that I have been able to locate. So you have three options:

1. Find a 2001+ Frontier or Xterra 4WD with the V6 and automatic trans with the HG49 body axle code, either take the entire rear axle, or just the ring and pinion out of it. That is a 4.90 ratio. Then purchase and install 4.88 gears in the Dana 44 you already have. You would be well within the 5% maximum ratio. (This is the ideal option)

2. Check your gear ratio on your body tag as instructed above, if it is the HG46 (4.62) then simply purchase a 4.56 ring and pinion for the Dana 44 and install it. You will still be within the 5% ratio.

3. Find a rear axle with the same lug pattern 6x5.5, and match the gear ratio's.

As for a cross member, there are several guys who have already covered that in detail, let me see if I can find the thread...

Found it... http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=32312

Either way, not a whole lot to it, you can modify the original factory unit or manufacture your own.

As far as someone who sells one...I am not familiar with anyone that does. Someone in your AO may be able to manufacture you one however.

Edited by tmoore4512

I posted some pics of my cross member its in solid axle section. I have since redone it using a 4" .250 piece of pipe . I just cut pipe in half and added some extra bracing. I will try to go out and add some more pics.

• 4 weeks later...
  • 1 year later...