Pathy won't turn over with proper voltage

NissanNismoZ

At work so I'll give more details later..long story short..Pathy wouldn't start on my way to work. It had 12.6v in battery..

I had to keep turning the key until it would finally turn over.

It never even clicked..like when the battery is low.

I will note the past few days it seems like it would turn over slower than usual but still start right up. Sometimes starting fast as usual and sometimes a little slower..any ideas?? :(

Check all the battery/starter connections, especially the ground all the way to the chassis, frame and engine. Probably the #1 reason for poor cranking when the battery is fine. From there it could be the starter but remember that it is the amps that push the starter, not the voltage.

Do this:Hook up your multimeter to the battery (not having cranked it recently) with the key off. Turn the ignition on and see how much it drops, then try to crank it and see how much more it drops. If there is a large drop (2 volts or more?) your battery may not have the amperage required anymore. Load testing will tell you, most autoparts stores will do this.

B

Also..isn't there a relay or something as well? Coz it acted like I'd turn the key but not to start..I'd turn it and nothing would change other than the sound of the fuel pump where voltage was being drawn, but yet, the starter wouldn't make a noise..it's like.. Sometimes I can get it to crank..it'll crank weak..then of I keep playing with it it'll crank over strong and turn right over..?

Thank you!!

It's all about the draw that a connection can make. Too much draw and connection fails, component doesn't work. The starter is the highest draw of anything on most vehicles...

Yes, there is a relay, usually a yellow piece off of the positive terminal, but it may vary due to year/model.

Weak cranking but spinning surge and firing is usually due to working up compression/fuel/air in the cylinders and getting a cylinder to fire correctly. Once one fires, it drives enough to take the load and the others start firing (at least with a well tuned motor that wants to start).

Start with the voltages after checking the connections, most problems can be solved there... ;)

B

Boss waited to see if I could make it out of the parking lot..that was nice. After how much I brag about it they were all a bit surprised.. Again..got in it, turned the key, not a thing. Kept playing with the key and it turned over really really slow, then I kept trying and kept trying and turned over really fast as it used to and started right up.

I've noticed the lights dim slightly like its trying to give power to it..but it's like the starter isn't getting the power..

I'm actually really scared now.. I'll have to check that stuff out in the morning..I'm screwed if it comes to a starter problem..

Though I've never had an issue with the starter not turning over, I did have a 3.2V drop where the ground cable from the battery meets the ground cable going to the block on the fender well (next to the power steering reservoir). Just goes to show what corrosion and grime can do!

Next time it doesn't crank, hit the starter with a hammer preferably on the solenoid if you can. If it cranks right over there's your problem.

Edited by Kingman

This sounds familiar...intermittent starter issues...

As most have said already start eliminating the simple things first, (+-)connections, cables, relay, all of these are easy to do and don't take a lot of time.

Cleaned Battery posts (brand new battery, wasnt hard to do, cleaned my terminal clamps (a little dirty, but cleaned now)

and now..i cant even get it do turn over..no matter how many times i try..so when it DID crank over before i did the cleaning..i used our snap-on starting/charging tester..and the results came out to:

Battery: PASS

Alternator: PASS

Starter: PASS

During starting voltage went from 12.68v to 11.64v

Battery passed both load tests.

So..shop teacher (ASE certified, also running his own shop..)

said to start with the ignition switch..so ill try that??

I could have sworn i read somewhere about Pathfinders and intermittent start issues..any ideas?

Thanks everyone!!

Ugh..you were right..its the solenoid on the starter, hitting it with the hammer and it turned over!.. 84.99 new (one year warranty) at advanced auto..looks like i have to bum some money out of my next paycheck..

It's a Worldwide brand starter (says the site)

Remanufactured. Wish me luck!

Thanks guys..i appreciate it!

Edited by NissanNismoZ

:aok:

A lot of times you just have to chase problems down by eliminating the likely and easy things first, it narrows the field down quickly. k9sar wrote up how to 'rebuild' your starter (same with 88pathoffroad IIRC) so you might be able to save some $ that way or at least have a spare.

FYI, some people have reported trouble with remanufactured starters so keep the receipt, and maybe even have then bench test it before you leave the store...

B