Steering Column Grinding

Tungsten

I think you need more details than that...

1. Can you tell whether the grinding is under the hood or in the cab

if its in the cab it may be something to do with the ring for the horn/cruise or the clamshell (steering column cover)or turn signal cancel

if its under the hood did you check the U joints for debris/wear

2. which wheel...steering wheel...or actual wheels

3. more details on the sound and when it happens...

To answer your questions:

1. In the cab, from the steering wheel itself.

2. The steering wheel.

3. Happens as I am turning the wheel. Feels like something lost its lubrication or the bearing exploded.

My wheel makes grinding and crunching noises when I turn it. Is there any way to fix this? Both wheels still turn as far as I know.

:headwall: That is one of the dumber things I've read on here in a while.

First thing I'd check is the sliding contact setup for the horn/cruise/etc. Mine sounds a little crunchy from the crap accumulated in there.

This is where I'd start. My wheel is starting to make a bit of noise I've just been too lazy to do anything about it yet.

First thing I'd check is the sliding contact setup for the horn/cruise/etc. Mine sounds a little crunchy from the crap accumulated in there.

I checked that today, it even does that if I rip the horn box out. You can literally just pull them out on earlier models! The noise is most audible between the steering column and the steering wheel. It sounds like you are rubbing two pieces of paper or two pieces of hard plastic together or something like that and it's really irritating. Before I thought that the steering wheel was rubbing on the column but now I don't know. I removed everything from the wheel today and tried turning it and nothing changed.

To adamzan: relax dude, I was tired. That was a joke.

haha...yeah..

but. mine does the same thing occasionally, i think mine seems to be the cancel gears for the turn signal...if you find a fix, let us know? :D

Maybe but I have it all the time. Looks like I will be taking my steering wheel off next.

Edited by Tungsten

:rofl: :rofl: :rofl::lol::chairfall:

HAHAHAHAHLOLOL..hahahaha...

I don't get it... :blond:

Column grinding, eh?

Have you tossed $1 bills at your steering wheel lately?

• 3 weeks later...
  • 3 weeks later...

I found the problem...

They were the horn contacts behind the steering wheel. Just a quick conductive grease and the noise is gone. Sounds pretty scary without it. :lol: