New guy on a project

rrxx007

Well the other day I checked the engine and apparently one of the spark plug cables is damaged so that must be the reason the engine stuttered to accelerate sometimes so those cables are going new. On the other hand found out that the front headlights arent working only the quarterlights... I really hate having to deal with electronic wirings ughh

Well the other day I checked the engine and apparently one of the spark plug cables is damaged so that must be the reason the engine stuttered to accelerate sometimes so those cables are going new. On the other hand found out that the front headlights arent working only the quarterlights... I really hate having to deal with electronic wirings ughh

yea man...electrical is a killer for me...good luck

The stock headlight harness is weak anyway, might as well redo it with relays and proper wires while you're at it. Before you tear into the wiring, try cleaning out the column switch, mine got to the point where only one of the lights would turn on at low beam.

The stock headlight harness is weak anyway, might as well redo it with relays and proper wires while you're at it. Before you tear into the wiring, try cleaning out the column switch, mine got to the point where only one of the lights would turn on at low beam.

I know Ill sound like a noob but what exactly do you mean by column switch and where is it located?

BTW updating a bit; due to rust on the roof and my wish to keep my pathy living long I am going to give it a full paintjob, for what I have seen itll probably cost me between 1,200-1,600.

Not off-topic I swear! I recently got photoshop and messed around with it and guess what? the pathy pics where my first edit :FartExplode-vi: heres my PS mess

294030_1894431613842_1633137890_1420665_1748246168_n.jpg

what do you guys think about the paint job (red/black )???

Edited by rrxx007

Two-tone looks good. :)

The column switch is the thing just behind the steering wheel that you shove around to make the turn signals and headlights work. You can get to it by removing the column cover (the two-piece cover between the dash and the wheel), and then it's held in by a few screws/plugs/etc. Take it apart carefully, make sure you don't lose any of the little pieces, and give the contacts a good clean. Test it before you reinstall! I bent the contacts around a bit in mine for a better connection, but bent them too far, so I couldn't turn the lights off... glad I discovered/fixed it before putting the column back together.

It's not a difficult teardown, but you might want to take a few pictures as you go to help get it back together!

Two-tone looks good. :)

The column switch is the thing just behind the steering wheel that you shove around to make the turn signals and headlights work. You can get to it by removing the column cover (the two-piece cover between the dash and the wheel), and then it's held in by a few screws/plugs/etc. Take it apart carefully, make sure you don't lose any of the little pieces, and give the contacts a good clean. Test it before you reinstall! I bent the contacts around a bit in mine for a better connection, but bent them too far, so I couldn't turn the lights off... glad I discovered/fixed it before putting the column back together.

It's not a difficult teardown, but you might want to take a few pictures as you go to help get it back together!

just removed the light switch, carefully though because the two parts between the wheel and the dash are about to crack. Anyway tried cleaning the contact pins with a piece of sanding paper and nothing, it seems that there is some corrosion but inside and bellow the copper colored pins

402703_2344105255402_1633137890_1617426_1919332125_n.jpg

404230_2344106375430_1633137890_1617427_1857820646_n.jpg

i dont know if you can notice the greenish hue between the copper contacts. My question is can I remove that white part from the switch to clean it from the inside or should I just by a new one?

Shoop da whoop

Seriously, though, R/B two-tone is always a good way to go. My S12 was R/B two-tone underneath the gray spray...

Im seriously considering doing the two tone because after I paint it I doubt Ill do that again for a looooooong time hahaha not sure if itll cost more because of the color change though

Seems like it would depend if the shop already had one of the colors you want in an open can or something. Plus I would not think a national chain of shops would not have the same policy as a smaller shop. So maybe XYZ paint and body down the road may be the best place to start.

hey guys I decided to by a new NGK spark plug wires wich are $60 in amazon and am probably gonna end up buying a new light switch ($83) at my local dealer with that the truck should be in perfect running conditions!

Sweet. I like NGK's plugs, I would assume a wire set from them would also be of good quality. I need to sort out my power antenna gears or whatever and I will be looking good too : )

Edited by Firehawk