how big is the gas tank?

kodi3482

12 gallons? I hope you transposed those two digits because pathfinder's are supposed to have 21 gallon tanks. Does yours have the rare four cylinder in it? I see that it is an 87 E.

Would be weird that they used different tank sizes, but certainly possible!

might be a 15 gallon tank. when it's on E, you usually still have ~3 gallons left. Possibly, 12 + 3= 15? Because I know there are 21 and 15 gal tanks. I think they tended to use the smaller tanks on the 4cyl models.

yup mines the rare 4cyl.. i feel like the only one here with a 4cyl haha.. i guess i'm going to have to fill a 5 gallon can and run it till it quits, then fill it to see how big it is.. i'm betting its the 15 gallon.. wonder if i can swap a 21gallon in?

it is a true base model, no tach, no carpet (ruber mat in the whole thing rocks btw) no ac, no power anything except steering. the z24 motor gets 20mpg on the freeway averaging 70mph. has no isses with power.. 218k, 5-speed. has 4.63 gears (according to the tag)

i love not having all the extras, really.. its much simpler in every way..

• Like 1

yup mines the rare 4cyl.. i feel like the only one here with a 4cyl haha.. i guess i'm going to have to fill a 5 gallon can and run it till it quits, then fill it to see how big it is.. i'm betting its the 15 gallon.. wonder if i can swap a 21gallon in?

it is a true base model, no tach, no carpet (ruber mat in the whole thing rocks btw) no ac, no power anything except steering. the z24 motor gets 20mpg on the freeway averaging 70mph. has no isses with power.. 218k, 5-speed. has 4.63 gears (according to the tag)

i love not having all the extras, really.. its much simpler in every way..

that sounds kinda cool actually. I don't recommend running your tank dry, it hurts your fuel pump. Just one time won't break it, but you don't know the condition of it currently. It should be in the FSM or your owner's manual.

no carpet?? that sounds like it wouldn't be that bad. Completely unacceptable compared to today's expectations, but you would never have stains!

No tach? but you have a 5speed? Wow, Nissan WAS very unforgiving.

the Z only gets 20mpg highway? Some of our v6s can put that to shame. I guess the smaller engine has to kill itself to do the same work.

Sometimes, having less stuff going on is a lot better. No doubt.

that sounds kinda cool actually. I don't recommend running your tank dry, it hurts your fuel pump. Just one time won't break it, but you don't know the condition of it currently. It should be in the FSM or your owner's manual.

no carpet?? that sounds like it wouldn't be that bad. Completely unacceptable compared to today's expectations, but you would never have stains!

No tach? but you have a 5speed? Wow, Nissan WAS very unforgiving.

the Z only gets 20mpg highway? Some of our v6s can put that to shame. I guess the smaller engine has to kill itself to do the same work.

Sometimes, having less stuff going on is a lot better. No doubt.

i saw a 2door v6 in the junkyard, i think i'll go measure the tanks physical size and compare to mine, that would tell me for sure..

the no carpet thing is awesome, it has this factory molded ruber mat in it that fits like carpet, has padding under it, etc. but its soo easy to clean.. lol it looks new compared to what 25 year old carpet would look like..

the no tach thing isn't too bad, i'm good at telling rpm's by sound so no issues with shifting (my wifes another story) and since the speedo is off, i'm going to hard mount a gps in the big square where teh tach would be. it'll work out fine. a pillar pod with a tach will come later too.

the 20mpg is prolly a power to weight ratio thing.. its the same weight as a v6 with 30 less hp.. it does have the lower gears tho and of course this is still 100% original, all the smog, air injection, etc is still there, and functional.. i haven't done a tuneup yet either and it looks like its got original wires.. so who knows on the plugs.. i have to go through it basic maintenance wise.. engine is clean, quiet, doesn't leak, doesn't smoke, plenty of power considering. (it will run 85 on the flats down the freeway, thats wound out too, most 4cyl cars of this vintage wouldn't do that nowdays)if i cruise at 65-70mph on the flats i'm only 1/4 throttle or so. if i hit a big pass, its 4th gear and 60mph at half throttle without working it really hard.

i'm torn on getting rid of the smog air injection stuff.. it needs exhaust but i'm hesitant on removing this stuff since its all working properly. and of course i can't find much info on it at all cause its 4cyl :(

i saw a 2door v6 in the junkyard, i think i'll go measure the tanks physical size and compare to mine, that would tell me for sure..

the no carpet thing is awesome, it has this factory molded ruber mat in it that fits like carpet, has padding under it, etc. but its soo easy to clean.. lol it looks new compared to what 25 year old carpet would look like..

the no tach thing isn't too bad, i'm good at telling rpm's by sound so no issues with shifting (my wifes another story) and since the speedo is off, i'm going to hard mount a gps in the big square where teh tach would be. it'll work out fine. a pillar pod with a tach will come later too.

the 20mpg is prolly a power to weight ratio thing.. its the same weight as a v6 with 30 less hp.. it does have the lower gears tho and of course this is still 100% original, all the smog, air injection, etc is still there, and functional.. i haven't done a tuneup yet either and it looks like its got original wires.. so who knows on the plugs.. i have to go through it basic maintenance wise.. engine is clean, quiet, doesn't leak, doesn't smoke, plenty of power considering. (it will run 85 on the flats down the freeway, thats wound out too, most 4cyl cars of this vintage wouldn't do that nowdays)if i cruise at 65-70mph on the flats i'm only 1/4 throttle or so. if i hit a big pass, its 4th gear and 60mph at half throttle without working it really hard.

i'm torn on getting rid of the smog air injection stuff.. it needs exhaust but i'm hesitant on removing this stuff since its all working properly. and of course i can't find much info on it at all cause its 4cyl :(

I know all about those Z24s. They pack a huge punch for only having 106hp. My dad had a 1983 720 Nissan truck. Base model, like yours. std. cab, 5speed, no A/C, no front bumper, etc.

My dad always tells me stories about that truck when we drive or work on mine. 270k miles on everything stock when the odometer broke. He must have put another 40k on it when someone slammed into him coming out of a driveway. Even with 300k miles, he pulled a 1974 Ford Maverick with one of those tow bar things around the trailer hitch.

You could load that truck up with whatever you wanted. wood till it over flowed, as much sand as you wanted, mulch up to the ceiling. You wouldn't even feel the difference when starting from a red light.

Just cool to talk about that stuff. You might be able to transplant a bigger gas tank, but it would probably require some fabrication. The tanks are shaped almost identically, just the proportions are different. You might want to snag the brackets from a donor truck and just bolt it up in there somehow.

I know all about those Z24s. They pack a huge punch for only having 106hp. My dad had a 1983 720 Nissan truck. Base model, like yours. std. cab, 5speed, no A/C, no front bumper, etc.

My dad always tells me stories about that truck when we drive or work on mine. 270k miles on everything stock when the odometer broke. He must have put another 40k on it when someone slammed into him coming out of a driveway. Even with 300k miles, he pulled a 1974 Ford Maverick with one of those tow bar things around the trailer hitch.

You could load that truck up with whatever you wanted. wood till it over flowed, as much sand as you wanted, mulch up to the ceiling. You wouldn't even feel the difference when starting from a red light.

Just cool to talk about that stuff. You might be able to transplant a bigger gas tank, but it would probably require some fabrication. The tanks are shaped almost identically, just the proportions are different. You might want to snag the brackets from a donor truck and just bolt it up in there somehow.

i'm deffinitely not in a rush to swap it, but if i did i'd get 400 miles+ to a tank on the freeway before i'd have to stop for fuel which would be awesome.. if i do swap it i'll snag everything since its a pick n pull.. hopefully it will bolt up since the chassis are basically the same.

its super torquey, you can practically dump the clutch from an idle and it will hop and go and not kill the motor..

has 4.63 gears (according to the tag)

it does have the lower gears tho and of course this is still 100% original, all the smog, air injection, etc is still there, and functional.. i haven't done a tuneup yet either and it looks like its got original wires.. so who knows on the plugs.. i have to go through it basic maintenance wise..

4.63 is the same gearing as the VG30 and VG33 as per my 1995 WD21 and the wife's 1999.0 R50.

its super torquey, you can practically dump the clutch from an idle and it will hop and go and not kill the motor..

It's a great motor, I drove one for 10 years in a D720 king cab 4x4...

B

4.63 is the same gearing as the VG30 and VG33 as per my 1995 WD21 and the wife's 1999.0 R50.

It's a great motor, I drove one for 10 years an a D720 king cab 4x4...

B

I thought the VGs (in trucks) had either 4.3 or 4.6? I have 4.3 because my truck came with 31s stock. I think the smaller tires came with deeper gears.

yes, 21 gallons. I had only ever stuffed 17 in to mine, and that was on E, so I took a 2 gallon can of gas with me one day, and ran it til it quit. I went another 70-80 miles. The fill up came out to just over 21 gallons with the addition of the can I had with me.

Also, 5 speeds are 4.3 gears and automatics are 4.6. tire size does not matter, just changes to the tooth count on the speedo gear.

You could conclude from that vote though, that the majority is exactly how I said it.

5 speeds are 4.3, and automatics are 4.6.

It's just like the general knowledge that SE's have standard limited slip and disc brakes at all four corners. But there is the odd bird out there that is open, or has drums, or both even!

yes, 21 gallons. I had only ever stuffed 17 in to mine, and that was on E, so I took a 2 gallon can of gas with me one day, and ran it til it quit. I went another 70-80 miles. The fill up came out to just over 21 gallons with the addition of the can I had with me.

That is very good to know. I have often wondered just how long I could drive after the low fuel light came on. :mellow:

You could conclude from that vote though, that the majority is exactly how I said it.

5 speeds are 4.3, and automatics are 4.6.

It's just like the general knowledge that SE's have standard limited slip and disc brakes at all four corners. But there is the odd bird out there that is open, or has drums, or both even!

If you want to generalize or go by majority I guess that works for you, but I can't agree with that statement. Both auto and manual came with either 4.3 or 4.6 gears would be a correct statement.

Don't want to mislead anyone... :shrug:

B

• Like 1

If you want to generalize or go by majority I guess that works for you, but I can't agree with that statement. Both auto and manual came with either 4.3 or 4.6 gears would be a correct statement.

Don't want to mislead anyone... :shrug:

B

I completely agree. Especially since my truck was an automatic LSD with 4.3 gears.

its kinda strange how nissan just tossed whatever into the pathy's.. i've seen pics of rear diffs that don't have a removeable cover on the rear.

whereas mine does, 8 bolts.. i can't tell if its lsd or not tho..