pitman arm nut size

unccpathfinder

95? You're gonna need a BIG wench, 45mm? 47mm? its huge...

I think you share the same arm as the 93.5 and later models. I think you can also use first gen xterra and fronty arms. You will need a good STRONG puller. DO NOT USE A PICKLE FORK OR PRY BAR.

I just went to my local yard for the same thing. for a 94-95 its a 1"5/8 or a 41MM Socket. I'll tell you what else. They don't like to come off. I brought a 2' Breaker Bar, A can of PB, a BFG, a deep impact socket that fits the handle of my breaker bar and a 1 foot extension for it for extra leverage as a cheater bar. After all that, and no luck, I used the closed side of a wrench on the end of my extension to give it another foot of extension. basically a 4' bar and pulled like hell. All I was going to accomplish was bending the breaker bar. I tried shocking it with the BFG on the bar as well to no avail. My yard charges $50.00 if you need air from one of the drivers driving around. I opted to use my own and haven't gone back to break it loose yet. Don't forget a Pitman arm puller and good luck. :aok:

*edit*

The socket information was handed to me from Precise when I asked about 2 weeks ago. Just a shout out for you B.

Edited by Dowser

So what was your trick? I couldn't get mine to budge, and that was at home with heat and I bent a pitman arm puller while pounding on the arm with a hand sledge. I finally gave up and that doesn't happen often...

B

I have the puller from Harbor Freight (#1752) and it has pulled three Nissan pitmans for me with no problem. Her are the steps I take.

1. Soak overnight with PB Blaster or your favorite penetrating lubricant.

2. Loosen the sector shaft nut, but don't remove it completely.

3. Keep the puller aligned with the arm while tightening. Maintain as much surface contact as possible while keeping it even on both sides of the arm.

4. Tighten gradually and hit the end of the arm with a BFH.

5. Repeat until the arm pops.

What exactly do you mean by "hit the end of the arm"? Do you hit the free end so that it is acting like a "lever"? I guess it isn't going to bend...

No. You smack the forward facing part of the arm. The shock helps to loosen arm especially when there is tension on it from the puller.

BP blasted....used the pipe wrench to get the nut and lock washer off...ran the nut up without the lock washer to break the rust free...loosened the nut...broke the puller...took the center link loose rotated Pittman to where I could hit it with my 5lb hammer as close to.the splines as possible...after about 6-12 whacks they were both off...I compared the first one to the other to make sure i don't bend anything and i hadn't so I will be reaming one out to make a 1 ton front susp