was looking for 4x4 hardbody's last night

ahardb0dy

Was on autotrader looking for a 4x4 hardbody, searched 100 miles from my zip code and came up with a grand total of NONE, took off the 4x4 filter and a bunch of 2wd's came up. The 4x4 pickup (hardbody) seems to be getting harder to find.

I checked multiple tags on craigslist. There are only 3 within 100 miles of me for sale. When I last checked, Autotrader barely had anything over 10 years old or so. A few months ago, I think there were 6 or 7 4x4s on Craigslist. I like to look now and again. Those 2wds are a dime a dozen. 2wd std. cab, 5spd, 4cyl.

I know I mentioned this before and you guys suggested I get a trailer but I'm really missing having a pickup, had to get a co-worker to go with me after work to pick up the new toolbox and than this past weekend had to borrow my neighbors truck to take trash to the dumpster we have here. So I thought I would look to see if any hardbody's were available and possibly get rid of my PF, luckily I've only done a few things to it so I wouldn't be losing much if I sold it, has the new JDM engine and Warn manual hubs and that's about it, hell right now it needs a starter so I can't even drive it. Anyway if I did get a hardbody it would have to be a certain model, I would be looking for a (preferably), 95 king cab 4x4 V6 manual trans. I know good luck!!

95 king cab 4x4 V6 manual trans. I know good luck!!

that's the only way to go. That's exactly what I have. except mine is a 94. Funny enough, the standard options between 94 and 95 are vastly different.

I completely understand you. Even though an SUV does have some rear cargo space, it's really not that realistic to be hauling stuff around. A pickup truck offers so much function that nothing else can even come close to. If you own a farm or haul stuff around daily, then a pickup truck is your only option. If it's a rarity, then not so much.

When I got my christmas tree, I just threw it in the bed and went. It took all of 5mins. If I had a PF, I would have to fold down the seats (they fold down, right?), put down a tarp or something, carefully slide the tree in, worry about it not being too long to close the hatch, and then drive carefully because of my limited rear view. You have to be much more careful with an SUV.

I think you're feeling a "the grass is greener on the other side" type thing. Sometimes, I REALLY want an SUV. Preferably a pathfinder. With my King cab, I can seat 2 comfortably, and 4 semi-comfortably, but that's it. The Wd21s can seat five just fine. Also, when I make some more money over the summer, I plan on totally re-doing my audio system. Without losing my ext. cab area, I don't have a place to put an amp or subs. With an SUV, put it in the cargo area, no prob. The PFs seem to be much more luxurious anyway

Yep, I've been looking for a while myself, but not terribly hard. I'd prefer a SE v6 king cab 4x4, but at this point probably auto as then the wife can drive it and I have more parts that are swappable with my WD21. It's damn hard to find a good one for a decent price and most people seem to want to hang on to them. Either they aren't what I am looking for or they are beat up/high mileage/rediculous price. Or is it at this time?? :shrug:

Stick with the pathy and buy a utility trailer, it will address your needs...

B

I don't actively look but there's generally 1 or 2 locally (usually with a rotted frame) on CL. I don't got time, space, or money right now for another lingering project, even if I did I am gonna be picky about certian aspects of the starting basis. With my hitch mount basket and a rubber mat in the back, my pathfinder (2 door at that with "less easy access" to the rear) has done all the same work I've ever used my HBs of the past for (including as a roadside service truck). A pickup is nice sometimes but by time you need more room than a wd21 can give, you generally need more than a d21.

Yep, I've been looking for a while myself, but not terribly hard. I'd prefer a SE v6 king cab 4x4, but at this point probably auto as then the wife can drive it and I have more parts that are swappable with my WD21. It's damn hard to find a good one for a decent price and most people seem to want to hang on to them. Either they aren't what I am looking for or they are beat up/high mileage/rediculous price. Or is it at this time?? :shrug:

Stick with the pathy and buy a utility trailer, it will address your needs...

B

I completely understand. It's funny. Sometimes the 2wd std. car 5spd 4cyl models with 250k miles trying to be sold for $3500, while the SEV6 5spd, 4x4, king cab models sell for $2200 in good condition with low miles. I just don't understand it sometimes.

Maybe they are starting to be like those Toyota trucks. People want $4k+ for a 92 toyota truck no matter what model or condition.

Maybe because it's winter? People either keep the 4x4s for the winter, or sell them at a higher price because they know they are valuable. Prices rise and drop throughout the year due to various things. Prices might drop during Christmas so people can get some money for gifts. Prices might be affected during tax rebate season. Prices are also higher during this recession because the seller has more control.

So you have a pickup? Want to trade? I think part of the reason I want a pickup too is because I miss my 87 hardbody, I really don't need an SUV because my wife hates the PF anyway and I don't have anyone else besides a random passenger to ride with me. Only reason I bought the PF is because It was a good deal at $500 and I couldn't find a 4x4 pickup at a reasonable price. I wouldn't buy any other brand since I know the Nissan's so well. Well bed time for me my wife is giving me dirty looks have to be up in 4 hours. later

Deleted by author...

I don't actively look but there's generally 1 or 2 locally (usually with a rotted frame) on CL. I don't got time, space, or money right now for another lingering project, even if I did I am gonna be picky about certian aspects of the starting basis. With my hitch mount basket and a rubber mat in the back, my pathfinder (2 door at that with "less easy access" to the rear) has done all the same work I've ever used my HBs of the past for (including as a roadside service truck). A pickup is nice sometimes but by time you need more room than a wd21 can give, you generally need more than a d21.

A very good point that I generally agree with, other than some things I discovered as a new home owner. Lumber racks are invaluable and the majority of appliances won't fit into a Pathy. I could have used a small pickup time and time again, but no need for a Dodge Ram dually either. I'd love to have a D21 as the 3rd vehicle, maybe enough to replace the R50... :whistle:

B

Trucks are normally expensive because they are trucks. Lots of people with big gas guzzling trucks looking to move down to a little 4 cylinder but keep the utility. As for being careful putting your Xmas tree in the back and such, why wouldn't you just plop it on the roof if you had a Pathy?

Deleted by author...

Lumber racks are invaluable and the majority of appliances won't fit into a Pathy.

B

Really? The only thing I haven't been able to fit in the back of mine was a fridge, and even then I would just have to leave the hatch open. I've put a stove, dryer and washing machine in there. Obviously not all at the same time. I really like that you can fit a 4x8 sheet of plywood in the back.

Trucks are normally expensive because they are trucks. Lots of people with big gas guzzling trucks looking to move down to a little 4 cylinder but keep the utility. As for being careful putting your Xmas tree in the back and such, why wouldn't you just plop it on the roof if you had a Pathy?

This. I would never put a tree in the back of the truck, what a mess.

My guess is that they weren't in any packaging? My stove, my deep freezer and a water heater would not fit at all. I have moved washers and driers and I can pack a lot of stuff in the Pathy but many items won't fit, not to mention it is so much easier to set something on the tailgate and push it into the bed rather than wrestle it into an enclosed, carpeted space. :shrug:

I've put a stove, dryer and washing machine in there. Obviously not all at the same time.

Haha, that reminds me of my buddy. He bought a Pathy in the Bay Area from a "hippie" as he described him. He used to scour freebie stuff off craigslist. The guy actually built his own rack for the top, and used to haul a variety of odd stuff, including a Hide-a-Bed. I dont even like carrying one of those a foot off the ground, let alone putting it on top of a Pathfinder. I'm guessing with the stuff you hauled and the rack he made, you could move an entire house.

is it me, or is hauling bicycle(s) the biggest pain in the neck?

I drove my truck to school today for exams (crazy stupid school schedule). After school I hung out with some friends. One of them brought his bike. there were 6 of us. Another friend of mine had a Toyota Yaris. Hell if a bike was gonna fit in that.

I said "just throw it in the back". Even then, he somehow managed to break a reflector and give my bed liner a nice gouge. Lifting it up and over is so much easier than finagling it through a hatch.

I was thinking. "Wow, that would be complicated as hell with an SUV." My uncle has some 90s Grand Cherokee and he is a huge bike fanatic. He must have 25 bikes.

I've gone with him to pick some bikes up, and it's always so complicated. Gotta take the front wheel off (if it has a quick release), gotta lay it down, have to put the wheel somewhere safe, and hope your hatch can shut.

That's just one bike. Think about having 2 bikes, or if your wheel doesn't have a quick release.

It's just stuff like that where an SUV just can't compete.

I know, I know. "That's what we use our roof racks for" or "that's why you buy a bike rack". I guess so.

Trogdor, putting the christmas tree on the roof is definitely the proper idea. I didn't even think of that. The roof might actually be the best place. It doesn't obstruct your view and it can be very secure if you have a roof rack.

I put 2 mountain bikes in and out of the back of mine (with front wheel still attached and other attachments on both bikes) with no issues...(I use a cooler rack now, don't have to lift as high :lol: ) You don't have the coordination to get a single bike in the back of an open pickup, you proably shouldn't e riding a bike period :lol:

That is what this is for,I use it all the time in the summer:

267918_10150272562414233_510114232_7314583_3012574_n.jpg

what...wutttt.

Is that a bike rack that fits over the spare?

You should be taking advantage of that roof bin!!

Actually there is a bracket that slides onto the tire carrier and the tire bolts over it, and then the rack slides onto a tube sticking out of the hub center in the wheel. It can hold 4 bikes and it allows you to open the hatch/tire carrier unlike those stupid hitch ones.

for me, the utility trailer beats the truck. I back the trailer up to the house and spend a week throwing drywall bits in while I renovate. No need to drive around with hundreds of pounds of crap when the depot isn't open til saturday. Plus I'd hate loaning out my truck to some pepole, but the trailer: no big deal. And the trailer is cheaper than trading to a limited seating/scant secure storage pick-up. Trailer has but one drawback: you need a place to put it. Ok, maybe two, you also need some halfway decent driving skills. :D