Is there any value in having the oil changed at a dealership?

jwblue

The Four(4) Reasons I Change My Own Oil, by B

#1 It isn't hard for me and the 1/2 hour I spend on it I will also use to check all fluids, tires, look around underneath, maybe lube things, etc.

#2 I'm a cheap bastage. I buy cases of Mobil 1 at Costco for about $27 when they are on sale ($4.5ea) and store them on a shelf until I need them. With a Mobil 1 filter from Autozone, I'm looking at about $30 for a full synthetic change; try to find that at the dealer or Kwik Lube!

#3 Due to various (bad) experiences over the years, I have a hard time trusting other people with working on my vehicles. I currently do not know of any mechanic in the area that I would use which is why I am waiting for Derek to move. Still, for something like and oil change, see #1 and #2.

#4 I don't have to leave the house to do it. By the time I drive, wait and drive again, I haven't saved any time and maybe lost some.

Walmart ain't the place to go, though. For anything.

Right. Twice.

The dealer's purpose is to sell cars.

They will sell you parts and service your vehicle, but at an extremely high price because they don't care if you do it or not.

An oil change would be a ridiculous price.

That's reason #1 to not go to the dealer.

From what I recall working at a dealership, the only reason they sell cars is so they will be serviced there and buy the factory parts sold there. Those are the two profitable departments when run correctly. The show room often hardly pays for it's self...

They do care, see above...

Have you priced one? Please do so and report back...

:blink:

I think those places mainly exist for people who have no mechanical skills, no time, or no desire to do their own. Just because oil changes seem simple to you, doesn't mean everybody can do it. Like cooking seems simple to many, others can burn cereal.

Exactly! These days more people don't pay attention to their vehicles and convenience is key. They generally last a long time even with neglect, less and less people work on their vehicles and people tend to turn over cars more often so who cares if you only have it for 50,000 miles.

In my experience, private family owned shops are the best. I tend to stay away from chain places and dealers for my repair and maintenance. :my2cents:

For an oil change?

Any monkey can pick up a wrench and call themselves a mechanic. That same monkey can F up your rig really bad.

What the hell did you call me?!?

:tongue:

B

Here's my 2 cents. I change my oil. There are 4 choice for doing this, although we seem to be really discussing 3.

Choice #1 - Do it yourself. It's easier than you think if you've never done it. It's rewarding. It's cheaper. MOST importantly, you know it was done correctly.

Choice #2 - The one that hasn't been discussed much here - you local independent mechanic....forget about the cost here, but this is good for those that do not want to do it themselves for whatever reason. Where would you take your car if the timing belt needed to be replaced (I take mine to a local shop in the neighborhood that is considered trustworthy)? Well, that guy will change your oil too. And it'll be cheaper than the dealer and a higher quality than the quicky lube....

Choice #3 - dealer = NOT an OPTION

Choice #4 - generic quicky lube = NOT an option

:deadhorse:

Edited by mickyficky