skid plates

918pathy

Are there skid plates available for the 95 and older Pathfinders, either aftermarket or OE? I have one for the gas tank, but do they make one or did they come with one for the transfer case from the factory

Are there skid plates available for the 95 and older Pathfinders, either aftermarket or OE? I have one for the gas tank, but do they make one or did they come with one for the transfer case from the factory

From the Factory you should have a Gas Tank Skid Plate , Small Front skid plate, and A transfercase skid plate that bolts on the transfercase.

As for aftermarket 4x4parts.com Makes a really nice heavy front skid plate but thats it.

There's no company that i'm aware of that makes any other skid plate for the wd21 pathfinder which sucks since i would really like a oil pan skid plate.

When we meet up for the sway bar you can have a look at my skid plates. I have the AC front skid and diff skid, custom oil pan skid and I have two stock gas tank skids bolted into the factory mounting spot. My '91 also has the stock t-case skid, but my '95 does not. I suppose it could have been removed or rattled loose somewhere along the line. It should be a pretty easy find at the JY along with the extra tank skid. If I were going to do a custom one I would probably go with HDPE for weight and ease of cutting. I have a plasma cutter though so cutting out a new steel one wouldn't be too bad.

SOrry, I used UHMW PE.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=6031&st=0&p=64248&hl=+uhmw%20+&fromsearch=1entry64248

I still have a piece in my garage to make one for my WD21...

Most any plastic supply place but I think I ordered mine from MSC Industrial Supply.

IIRC Anti static is black, fiberglass impregnated is blue and the pure stuff is white. I used 1/2" but 3/8 is probably sufficient. JJ_BIG_SHOE has the one I made on his truck, he said he hit a tree stump at over 20mph and all he did was slide back off of it with barely a scratch in the plate... :aok:

http://www1.mscdirect.com/eCommerce/NavigationServlet/Plastic-Sheets/_/N-77dt7?cm_re=Category-_-BodyLink-_-Plastic+Sheets&Ntk=All_MSC&Ntt=uhmw+pe&Ntx=mode+matchallpartial&Nty=1&rawInput=uhmw+pe%C2%A2uhmw+pe

B

When we meet up for the sway bar you can have a look at my skid plates. I have the AC front skid and diff skid, custom oil pan skid and I have two stock gas tank skids bolted into the factory mounting spot. My '91 also has the stock t-case skid, but my '95 does not. I suppose it could have been removed or rattled loose somewhere along the line. It should be a pretty easy find at the JY along with the extra tank skid. If I were going to do a custom one I would probably go with HDPE for weight and ease of cutting. I have a plasma cutter though so cutting out a new steel one wouldn't be too bad.

that would cool I have a front plate but it does not cover the front diff. and one on the gas tank, I also do not have a T-case skid plate. I would like to check yours out when meet to get the sway bar. Would a older model skid plate fit on a 95' or are they year specific

that would cool I have a front plate but it does not cover the front diff. and one on the gas tank, I also do not have a T-case skid plate. I would like to check yours out when meet to get the sway bar. Would a older model skid plate fit on a 95' or are they year specific

My stock front skid is off a 4 door wd21 and my transfer case one is one I had still from my 91 HB. Tank skid was actually still there when I got him. So the front one and transfer case ones I can say will interchange between wd21s, they share the same frame anyway. Apparently Xterra front skids will work too, stock X skid images I find look cosmetically the same to me only lacking the hole for the rad drain hose :shrug: . (Curious on that stacked tank skid idea too... You got any pics of that KovemaN?)

thanks for the link with dead pics B :lol:

Damn!! jj big shoe's thread doesn't have pictures in it anymore either. That was 2 hard drives ago for me so I doubt any pictures still exist. Let me see if jj has any... :shrug:

B

The only picture I can find is here...

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=17159&view=findpost&p=278787

I was actually kind serious... I think they are made out of PE and some of them are reasonably thick. But if you are really interested in UHMW or whatever, then it's going to be hard to figure out what kind of plastic they are really made of. Of course, there could be some other reason why it is a terrible idea...

The plastic cutting boards are usually made of textured HDPE. Just like the large food prep surfaces in restaurants and fast food places. Sometimes it's impregnated with an antimicrobial agent for obvious reasons. I believe that HDPE is FDA certified while UHMW is not.

Hmm, didn't know that...

I was actually kind serious... I think they are made out of PE and some of them are reasonably thick. But if you are really interested in UHMW or whatever, then it's going to be hard to figure out what kind of plastic they are really made of. Of course, there could be some other reason why it is a terrible idea...

Yes, they can be used but I suspect they would be more expensive than buying it in raw sheet form. PE is tough stuff weather ir is HD or UHMW, but I do know that the UHMW is used for conveyors and mining chute linings, ideal in my mind. Besides, the tougher it is the thinner you can go with, making it cheaper and easier to form.

My knee jerk reaction is from someone actually bolting or wiring a cutting board underneath their truck. While it may work and be better than nothing, it still makes me cringe. I'm not the ultimate custom fab guy, but come on!! :rolleyes:

:D

B

My knee jerk reaction is from someone actually bolting or wiring a cutting board underneath their truck. While it may work and be better than nothing, it still makes me cringe. I'm not the ultimate custom fab guy, but come on!! :rolleyes:

Heh, yeah, I guess the thought of seeing an unmodified cutting board strapped to the bottom of the truck is a bit dumb. I was more thinking of trying to find a big one and then cutting it up/bending etc.. But it's probably just easier to order some sheet instead of searching the city for a big cutting board.

1/4 thick UHMW PE antistatic (black) 24x48" runs about $80 here (can be had a little cheaper)

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=86209939&PMPXNO=4472528&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

1/4 thick HDPE (white) 24x48" runs about $50 here (can be had a little cheaper)

http://www1.mscdirect.com/cgi/NNSRIT2?PMAKA=52421575&PMPXNO=1928249&cm_re=ItemDetail-_-ResultListing-_-SearchResults

A local supplier should be cheaper with no shipping...

B

:D

B

so stealing food trays from fast food joints to screw to my frame ain't the idea? :lol:

there is a junkyard about 10 miles from my house and they have like 6+ Pathfinders I think i should be able to find the skid plates I need there, maybe even a couple of other cool things

By all means, go see what you can find. Heck look in the 'parts wanted' section to see of you can set someone up with a random part too. :aok:

I doubt you'll find much armor for the Pathys. There isn't a lot from the factory and what there is isn't exactly robust or impressive...

so stealing food trays from fast food joints to screw to my frame ain't the idea? :lol:

No. What you want to do is glue trash can lids under your truck using epoxy. Make sure to cover the length of the exhaust very well...

B

By all means, go see what you can find. Heck look in the 'parts wanted' section to see of you can set someone up with a random part too. :aok:

I doubt you'll find much armor for the Pathys. There isn't a lot from the factory and what there is isn't exactly robust or impressive...

No. What you want to do is glue trash can lids under your truck using epoxy. Make sure to cover the length of the exhaust very well...

B

Should I use the metal/tin lids or even better the rubbermaid ones cuz they will bounce back

The UHMW PE is used primarily for severe industrial abuse applications so yes, it works well for this.

Should I use the metal/tin lids or even better the rubbermaid ones cuz they will bounce back

Plastic ones, of course. 1/2 the reason to is the bounce back factor, the other is it is far easier to wrap around your exhaust...

B

The UHMW PE is used primarily for severe industrial abuse applications so yes, it works well for this.

Plastic ones, of course. 1/2 the reason to is the bounce back factor, the other is it is far easier to wrap around your exhaust...

B

the heat from the exhaust would be like a really cool shrink wrap