Front Bumper and Grille

Reshma

So Im kinda liking the trucks I see with no grille or front bumper on em. I think they look pretty cool.

So what are the Pros and Cons for removing the bumper and grille and using the truck as a DD.

Also does anyone know if I can legally drive around in NY without the grille and Bumper?

So Im kinda liking the trucks I see with no grille or front bumper on em. I think they look pretty cool.

So what are the Pros and Cons for removing the bumper and grille and using the truck as a DD.

Also does anyone know if I can legally drive around in NY without the grille and Bumper?

no grille? You mean so all you see is the radiator, front support beams, and the head lights?

I'm sure it wouldn't be illegal, but it might not come off as classy if that matters to you. It's definitely not a safety concern or anything.

To be honest, I've seen some crazy stuff done to cars. If people can duct tape their doors on, then I would think you can drive around without a grille.

no grille? You mean so all you see is the radiator, front support beams, and the head lights?

I'm sure it wouldn't be illegal, but it might not come off as classy if that matters to you. It's definitely not a safety concern or anything.

To be honest, I've seen some crazy stuff done to cars. If people can duct tape their doors on, then I would think you can drive around without a grille.

Not a safety concern? being sarcastic there bud?

Would that affect my engine in anyway? What if its raining and I go through a few puddles?

I saw this and I like the look.

NPORA Member. Look.

Not a safety concern? being sarcastic there bud?

Would that affect my engine in anyway? What if its raining and I go through a few puddles?

I saw this and I like the look.

NPORA Member. Look.

How would not having a grille be a safety concern? It's just a cosmetic/trim piece.

If you are talking about not having a bumper..how is that a safety concern? Most of today's vehicles don't even have bumpers from the factories. They have excuses of bumpers, but that's it.

He's got Hardbody lights. The square Pathy lights look a little odd with no grille.

I don't think puddles would be a problem, as the air intake's in the fender. To get water in through the front you'd have to be behind/beside someone plowing through a puddle, and even then you'd get only marginally more than with the grille and bumper installed.

I know in WA it's illegal to drive w/o bumpers. Doesn't stop people though. It's just one more thing for the cops to write you up for after stopping you for something else.

I wouldn't bother. It'd look ghetto as hell, but more importantly, you'd be removing all the protection from the radiator, putting you one moron in a Kia (or one failed attempt at a taller tree stump) away from a busted rad instead of a dented bumper. Also, Pathy bumpers are a royal pain to remove. The bolts are made of soft cheese, they'll all be stuck, and there's no room to swing a wrench.

If you're determined to pull something off the front end, you could pull the grille and cut around the main opening. But again, you'd be opening your rad to damage. You could mesh in behind it but that's fast approaching rice.

stock wd21 bumpers are tinny and only bumpers in a theoretical term to begin with but are still some form of protection for your front end. As for removing the grill, the pic you supplied was as stated a HB front end conversion and the wd21 headlights lacking a grill look rather junk-ish (to each their own though) and your horns ain't cool and bright orange either, more like the one on top in this pic

43d0d5a4.jpg

(probably about as pretty of shape as well :lol: )

he has Hella brand horns IIRC. The grill helps protect all kinds of road hazards (things get kicked up from someones tires all the time) Maby find something to upgrade with bumper-wise if you don't like it and your imagination can help you come up with some neat unique thing for the grill (or copy a grill setup you like) but I would suggest against driving without either on or off the road.

if you can build it then go for it

don't forget that you will have to make new mounts

the existing ones won't do that well if the bumper is on the heavy side

Thats what I was thinking...See what im thinking is to make the Grille part out of some light metal and then the rest of the bumper out of steel or something. In the end it should weigh less than an Arb because i removed that whole center portion. Im pretty much making a really big grille. I then put some Pipes in front of the lower portion in case of a front end accident.

That works too. The only thing now is can you make it look decent and is it worth the effort to make one?

YES and YES. Maybe I will take some direct measurements one day and then I will see where to go from there...

ANYONE WANT TO MAKE IT FOR ME? I WILL PAY...of course I would like to be there standing around watching as it all happens. Just Saying.

How much "reworking" did that Trail Gear bumper require? I like the look of that. I am planning on making my own bumper but if its not too crazy to make it work, that is another option. I'm still not sold on the stinger look though, maybe...

I fabbed up an adapter to make it bolt to my front cross member and cut and rewelded the bumper brackets then shortened the wrap around corners by about 2" also note that I have a 3" bl...my positioning was based off of winch loads, ground clearance and headlight beam clearance