Problems starting

Rocky88

So I was in my pathfinder finishing up the speedometer cable got it all done, big wop. Well, I haven't driven it for a couple of weeks. I started the pathy and it cranked and started just fine. Then it died, it cranks and starts for about <30 seconds. But if i touch the gas petal it dies even faster. I'm lost as to what to test to find what is wrong. :puterpunch:

Any tips on this issue would be very kind.. Thanks!

look at your dist cap mine gave me issues last year when it snowed or was moist out.....i could start it only when i had the gas pedal to the floor....( this tells the computer something,something)....the night before gone i replaced the cap and all was good.....pull it and hold it up to the light.....hope that helps

Doesn't the central contact look kinda bad? On mine it had basically turned to dust and fell off entirely.

actually it does i had a second look, do you think i should replace the cap? Could this be the reason it does not keep idling? Also do you think it would have been wise to disconnect the negative battery terminal before removing the cap? Just things i ponder..

On a second note After this paycheck i'll start the process of buying replacement parts for the timing belt and other various projects ;P.

Edited by Rocky88

It's really impossible to diagnose from pictures like that. If your cap is old, just replace it, they should be cheap. If it IS actually bad then it could cause all kinds of problems. While removing the neg battery terminal is good practice for almost anything, I certainly wouldn't sweat it in your case :) It's mostly just so that if you touch something live with a tool that you don't accidentally short it to ground.

which code reader do you use? I'm going to buy one.

No code reader will work until 1996. Up to there, you need to remove the passenger seat, and put the ECU in diag mode, and read the blinking light pattern. There is a stickied thread on how to do it

For other vehicles, I use the AutoEnginuity system.

i use the ecu under the passenger seat and read the blinking LEDs. before i found that out i was changing parts like crazy spendind way to much money on parts that wasn't the problem. my ecu gave me the codes for TPS and MAF. i changed the TPS now waitng for the MAF to be ship, suck to live HAWAII all parts over here are way to expensive.

Edited by bonehead

Okay i bought some carb cleaner sprayed it down. it starts and runs now!! however one thing i have noticed.. my lights in my cluster do not glow, all of the other lights such as break light do? Is there a fuse i should be checking. God do my normal driving lights suck too. stupid small bulbs. Can't wait for my future projects!

P.s on another note,

I wonder after all the money i'm about to put in this thing if I can sell it for what i put in it.

Did the self ECU test got code 13 which is Engine Coolant Temperature, looks like the guys before me made an aftermarket sensor and did not do it correctly. Valve cover gaskets smoke when running and it's missing a vac. line from the motor to the air cleaner on top of the carb. How annoying :P

Edited by Rocky88

if your cap and rotor look like that, you probably need to replace your spark plugs and air filter as well!

When I get some cash scavenged up, i'm doing the whole deal, timing belt, driving belts, water pump, spark plugs(and wires),air filter, thermostat, and if it's not too hard get the oil pump replaced, and find where that leak is behind the pan.

Thanks for your advice!! :D

Do the parking lights, rear running lights, and other interior lights work? If not, check the tail fuse.

Edit: tail lights do not turn on when headlights are on, turn signals work. dome lights all work.

Edited by Rocky88

Check the tail fuse anyway. Dome lights are on the room lamp fuse.

Tail fuse is fine, no problems looks fine. However I do have another weird thing. I went inside for about 15 minutes after messing with that but i left my lights on parking lights. I went in the garage a couple minutes later to smoke a cigarette but the cluster lights were on. I turned them off and tired the parking lights again no cluster lights. could this be a short somewhere?

P.s on another note This tomorrow I get paid and will begin the ordering process of replacment parts! I washed my engine with gunk(covered battery, alternator, most of the cables around the cruse control). So I washed it with water on a low setting and started the engine after 20 minutes of letting is dry. Lots and lots of smoke was not a pleasant smell. Saw a lot of smoke coming from the manifold on the right side(from the engine) where the vacuum. side is on the left side. Should i replace the valve cover gaskets?

Thanks guys <-- your the best.