trailer electrical

Daves94XE

hey guys i keep having the same problem. anybody that pulls a trailer, what did you end up doing to keep from blowing light fuses. i know i have a good ground and i rewired the trailer through the correct plug. i have a 20 amp fuse and it still blows it. what to do... what to do...

hey guys i keep having the same problem. anybody that pulls a trailer, what did you end up doing to keep from blowing light fuses. i know i have a good ground and i rewired the trailer through the correct plug. i have a 20 amp fuse and it still blows it. what to do... what to do...

LEDs ?

LEDs ?

Fix the short. If it's blowing 20 amp fuses something has to be shorted. Is it just when you plug in the trailer? If it is remove all the bulbs from the trailer and test the wires with an ohm meter. With no bulb none of the wires should show any continuity to ground. If the trailer is pretty old just save yourself a headache and rewire it.

James

I work for a truck and trailer parts store, i may try and use breakers and might get new leds cause we can get them pretty cheap. Www.gpartsinc.com might help u guys on stuff we can use

There's NO reason for the fuse to keep blowing unless you have a short somewhere. Swap lights, insert breakers, whatever... you still have a short somewhere. Find it and fix it, the problem goes away. I had this issue with my old Pathfinder that had a U-Haul wiring kit spliced into the factory brake lights in the rear trim panel. Piss poor job equals popped fuses and whacko blinkers.

I don't know anything about towing a trailer, but if you put enough lights in parallel on your trailer (like running lights) presumably you could get the resistance low enough that too much current would flow and you could blow fuses. I doubt this is likely to ever occur in practice, but the scientist in me feels like pointing out this theoretical possibility :)

i rewired it tonite using 4 way cable, in a shield cover.at first when i got it with the tailer hooked up it would keep blowing the pass brake light. thats when i rewired it, didnt have any probs till last nite. thinking bout pulling the pos u haul wiring box out.