89 4x4 lack of power?

90pathy2door

my sons 89 4x4 truck with a v6 5 speed is idling bad and when u take off,it doesn't have any power.Once you get it going,after it warms up,it runs good.

Until you go up a hill.You have to downshift into 3rd,and the thing will take off.kinda hesitates and bucks before it catches and start to pull hard.

If you rev it,it will backfire also.

it has a magnaflow muffler with no catalytic converters on it.

a guy he knows who tinkers on vehicles said that it acted like the mass air is bad.

he does have 2 bad exhaust leaks on it.one on each side at the exhaust manifolds.

There are a few things that your problem could be.

You might want to check your mass air flow sensor as someone recommended. It could be broken or very dirty. It could even be incorrectly connected. There is a thread around here for how to do that.

I would check all the vacuum hoses. They tend to crack after time and make your engine do crazy things.

An exhaust leak at the manifolds wouldn't really affect performance that much. You should still get those leaks fixed. It's not that bad.

Timing also does very weird things to these engines. I would check that the distributor is correctly installed.

Interesting you mention that it starts to get better when it warms up. The others have already mentioned good things to do. I would add opening your hood and checking the Fuel line connections and tighten them up and see what that does to your power and cold idle.

The bad exhaust leaks could be causing the O2 sensor to signal for more gas. I doubt that is the only issue here but it certainly won't help. Pull one of the easier plugs and see if it is obviously running rich.

Other than that, the previous posts cover where I would start...

B

pulled codes today,none came up

truck is struggling to stay idling

try to leave the yard and its like it has no power.

Since we have a parts truck,we have swapped out a few things but nothing helps.

Once you get her going,she runs out fine till u try to pull a hill then it bogs down and you have to downshift to get the rpm back over 2500

Edited by 90pathy2door

Hmm.. Possibly a vacuum problem? Check your fuel pressure regulator hose on the back of the intake? Fuel pump issue?

Check all vacuum lines, including the ones running off the charcoal canister.. What have you done and not done?

I had a problem with my pathy, just behind where the intake grounds are, is a fuel line..mine was loose and leaking..maybe try checking that?

Hope we can figure it out! :ar15:

i had my son come over for me to look at it for him.

it idles fine.when cold,about 1200 rpm,once warm,900. but it will sit there and suddenly idle up high,then after about 45 seconds,idle low and choke off.

start it back up,idles fine.

put it in revers,it goes back perfectly.

throw it in 1st gear and its like it has no power.have to ride the clucth and give it gas to about 2200-2500 rpm to get it to move and then it putters.Take off down the road,it shifts fine but feels like it just doesn't have alot of power.Going up the hill,you have to jump down in 3rd gear.

Bring it back into the yard and it runs fine in 1st around the drive and put it in neutral,idle like a new one.

we have checked gas lines,vac lines,connectors,plugs,wires etc etc.

cleaned the maf and it is idling better today than yesterday.Still runs like crap.

So,I guess next step is locating a maf for it.Not going real well either.

Edited by 90pathy2door