Will This Work found on Ebay

I'll warn you right now, unless you have the inside bracing to install that thing, you won't be able to mount it up, regardless of which year Pathy you have. There are two upper inner braces and two lower inner braces needed, plus the latch and bumpstop that bolt on below the hatch door. My 88 has none of the braces pre-installed inside the body. Also, those things weigh like 80 lbs, no kidding. Unless it's in your town or close by, shipping's gonna be a KILLER.

I inspected the truck a couple of months ago when looking at another one on ebay but someone sniped me on it but my truck had some braces on the passenger side near the rear tail lights that looked like braces for a tire carrier. I could be wrong, shoot, I just double check and there is braces back there but I they are on both sides and they run from the bottom quarterpanel to the top of the light. couldn't really see where they end on top. they are flush with the back on the truck but not on the side. I hope that these are it or that I don't win the bid..lol and you are right about the shipping charges. but it shouldn't weigh more that the brushguard that I got could it? :shrug: The shipping wasn't too bad on that 47 to 50 pounds and its coming from the same area.

Thanks 88, I knew that I should have waited!

Michael

Not saying it would be easy to install the brakets, the only ones I've actually seen were on a Pathy with the top chopped off. I do know where they go and that you should be able to get them in place from the access panel for the tail light. It might be easier with the tail light removed as well. Some people have done the swap so it's not impossible.

Well 88,

I stopped bidding on the carrier after rechecking the supports in my truck. Now if I can find a junk yard that has Pathfinders and can get one cheaper, I'll look into it a little closer. I'm pretty sure that my body shop guys can figure out a way to fix the problem without major surgery on the pathy.. Can you email me good detailed pictures of the mounting backets and of the carrier. I'm thinking about going another route on this subject but I need to know what the brackets look like. I have DSL connection at home and T1 at work so any size file will be fine..

thanks

I've TRIED putting those brackets in with the taillight removed, and they physically don't fit in there with everything spotwelded together. Maybe if I cut them down they'll fit, but the fullsize brackets don't fit in there. And that's just for the top hinge. The bottom inserts are completely spotwelded in and surrounded by sheetmetal. I have no idea how to get those in there.

In th 91 I saw them in they were bolted in place, no welds. :confused:

Nonono, the brackets inside the body are spot-welded to the body and then the rest of the body is spot-welded around them. The tire carrier bolts on, yes. The interior brackets with the captive nuts that the bolts go INTO, however, are spot-welded in.

• 5 weeks later...
Guest armelius

It won't fit the guy selling it didn't have it on his Pathfinder that is why he is selling it. For 88 and above I am sure you can mount this.

• 2 weeks later...
In th 91 I saw them in they were bolted in place, no welds. :confused:

Nonono, the brackets inside the body are spot-welded to the body and then the rest of the body is spot-welded around them. The tire carrier bolts on, yes. The interior brackets with the captive nuts that the bolts go INTO, however, are spot-welded in.

On the 91 the upper and lower hinge brackets were bolted in on the inside. I know, because I unbolted them and removed them from the truck myself. Maybe it had been added as a dealer option on this particular truck and they had bolt in brakets for that, I don't know, but they were not welded at all.

Sorry about that I have had a hard time logging in and this forum has been down a while.

There is a bar on the inside of the 87's you can't bolt it in on the bottom right because of it. I know because I had one and took it to a body shop to install it. They wound up not doing it. For 88 and above you can do it. So far I have never seen a 87 with a rear rack.

I've also seen more than one 87 with a tire carrier. I think your mechanic was just daunted by the spotwelded sheetmetal and told you it had "a bar across it" cause the body was in the way. They only have the one design for the tire carrier and they would really have to find a good reason to change the body shaping internally after the first year to warrant the re-tooling and die cost for the sheetmetal stamps, etc...

They showed me the metal brace bar behind the body. Wasn't any room to put the bolts for the tire carrier bracket. I also looked at a 88 with a carrier on the back and it didn't have that metal brace.

It looks like someone would of had to cut that brace out in order for it to work, unless you spot welded that bottom bracket to the body.

Was the rear tire carrier an option for 87's? I don't remember seeing an 87 that year with it.

I have an 86.5 built Pathfinder. Still an 87 but I have seen the difference in the 88's. If you get a chance you might see what I am talking about.

If you look on that Ebay pic you can tell he never put it on his Pathfinder. Usuallly there is some rust around those braces and I don't see any on the one he was selling.

If you look on that Ebay pic you can tell he never put it on his Pathfinder. Usuallly there is some rust around those braces and I don't see any on the one he was selling.

You won't see any on mine, either ~ it's called "PAINT" ! Probably spruced it up for higher Ebay bidding bucks... :contract: