My Pathy project - TPMS Install

ramdala

Hello all

How about to install a TPMS kit (tire pressure monitor system) on our trucks..and at the same time to fill the useless "hole" that we have in the center console?

This is the TPMS that I have bought, the kit comes with this screen and 4 tire valves to replace the standard ones.

IMG_9865.jpg

You have to disassemble the center console (there are some good threads about that on npora). I only need to drill the bottom of the pocket to pass the wire and connet it to the cigarette lighter:

IMG_9871.jpg

IMG_9872.jpg

With everything installed back, this is the final product:

IMG_1397.jpg

Install takes no more than an hour. Hope you like it!

:friday:

Edited by ramdala

That is the one I have used! but I bought it here: http://www.dealextreme.com/p/2-6-lcd-wireless-tpms-tire-pressure-monitoring-system-45222

Rgds

Edited by ramdala

That looks awesome! I wonder how low it will read, for like when you air down would it give accurate reading?

Kind of sad you get the whole system for $155 and when I had a factory sensor fail on my titan it cost $95 just for the sensor and another $85 to install it and program. And mine won't tell me how much pressure in each tire or which one is low. I just get a light telling me to pull over and kick the tires!

James

Wow, clean install. Very nice.

Thanks! :beer:

Very nice. Doesn't get any better than that. :aok:

Thanks again, another :beer:

That looks awesome! I wonder how low it will read, for like when you air down would it give accurate reading?

Kind of sad you get the whole system for $155 and when I had a factory sensor fail on my titan it cost $95 just for the sensor and another $85 to install it and program. And mine won't tell me how much pressure in each tire or which one is low. I just get a light telling me to pull over and kick the tires!

James

I have not tested on routes yet but from other comments I have read on the net, it support low pressure too (4 psi)and its fairly accurate.

The display has over and under pressure alarms and you can see alternatively the temperature of tires.

Edited by ramdala

James

just an FYI, most factory TPMS are programmed to flip the light on when the pressure drops to 25% of what it is set at. most systems allow the ability to set the pressure when going through a reset procedure and it becomes 25% of that set pressure. typically, it works off of OEM settings. 25% of 25PSI (factory for Titans) would approximately be 8-9PSI under factory, which should activate the light at about 27PSI.

Any pics of when the sensors got installed on the rims? Im curious how they look inside and out and if a tire shop has a hard time putting on a tire around them

Looks real nice, got me interested in looking into a TPMS system

Good job ..am gonna look into that.

Thanks! Its a good addon with nice look.

Please give us a review of the product and it's reliability & accuracy. I like the install, very stock "OEM" like.

Thanks, I am sick at bed right now but I will report any issue the next week.

Take a pic of the replacement valve caps too!

Hello, on the manufacturer site there are a lot of pics, I have not take any of the valves.

take a look here: check link

Any pics of when the sensors got installed on the rims? Im curious how they look inside and out and if a tire shop has a hard time putting on a tire around them

Thanks, its just changing valves, except that the new ones have a nut to fix it on the wheel. In fact, I have replaced the valves by myseft while the tire shop person was unmounting the tires (I am not a confident person when it relates to install gadgets that are not common here). The only pic with the valve installed is one that I have found on the web. Good luck!

oro-03.jpg

they're easy to work on if you know what you're doing.

i work on TPMS equipped vehicles (even ones with banded sensors) everyday and they're cake. working on a TPMS equipped vehicle, with low-profile, runflats is a bit of a PITA though!

to the OP, if i were you, i would've gotten banded sensors, honestly. not as much maintenance and you wouldn't have to worry about replacing the sensor or service pack, etc. as opposed to banded sensors.

then again, i don't like TPMS at all and feel they're rather pointless if you stay on top of your air checks, anyway.

they're easy to work on if you know what you're doing.

i work on TPMS equipped vehicles (even ones with banded sensors) everyday and they're cake. working on a TPMS equipped vehicle, with low-profile, runflats is a bit of a PITA though!

to the OP, if i were you, i would've gotten banded sensors, honestly. not as much maintenance and you wouldn't have to worry about replacing the sensor or service pack, etc. as opposed to banded sensors.

then again, i don't like TPMS at all and feel they're rather pointless if you stay on top of your air checks, anyway.

Do you have any links or pictures or brand recommendations of the banded sensors you're talking about?

sorry, i don't delve into the aftermarket TPMS systems. Ford and older Chevrolets were the only ones that i am aware of that use the banded sensors. not really familiar with the aftermarket sensors or if they're readily available.

OEM banded sensors look like this

ford_banded_sensor.jpg

again, the reason i'm a bigger fan of these types are because you still use regular, valve stems, there's no need to replace the sensors or the equipment until the sensor's battery goes out, you break it, you swap it from wheel to another, etc.

with the sensors that have the integrated, metal valve stem (like the OP), there are two kinds of sensors. sensors that have the metal, valve stems that are connected to the sensors and sensors that allow the metal, valve stems to be detached from the sensor.

pros and cons of each. the integrated valve stems (i.e. Pacific or Siemens types) have cheaper service packs/rebuild kits (approximately $2/each). the service packs are essentially like new, valve stems since you always want to replace valve stems when you get new tires and such. bad thing is if you chip the metal stem or what not while wheeling or what have you, the whole sensor has to be replaced.

the sensors with the detachable metal, valve stems (i.e. TRW or BERU type) have more expensive service packs since you'll be replacing the entire valve stem. they run approximately $8-$15/each. however, if you chip the valve stem while wheeling, all you have to replace is the service pack, not the entire sensor.

hope that makes sense. lots of stuff goes into the TPMS system. one other reason why i'm not a real big fan of them.

Thanks, its just changing valves, except that the new ones have a nut to fix it on the wheel. In fact, I have replaced the valves by myseft while the tire shop person was unmounting the tires (I am not a confident person when it relates to install gadgets that are not common here). The only pic with the valve installed is one that I have found on the web. Good luck!

oro-03.jpg

Those look just like the factory nissan sensors. Now someone creative needs to find a place to mount the control in a WD so I can get one. :D

These systems do have a purpose even if you check your air pressure every day. I picked up a nail on the highway one time after driving for an hour. It let me know I had a problem before I ruined a $200 tire. On my pathy with a lockright in the rear if I run one rear tire low I could screw up the locker. The tires I run are soft so I might not notice any more sway from a low tire.

James

• 2 months later...

Hello All,

I forgot to mention that the tpms has been working great.

Compared to my arb deflator, theres a margin of +- 1/2 psi between them so its quite accurate. I have noticed for example if you park with just two wheels to the sun TPMS reflect the greater pressure on those wheels (.. nice way to remember ideal gas law from my chemistry lessons).

I have tested it on trail down to 7 psi with no problem.

Not to mention that I am not using the deflator as often, just let the tire deflate until the desired pressure checking the monitor. Same thing to inflate.

:beer: