Check your rear wheel wells.

jj big shoe

I'm finally getting around to fixing the rust on my rocker. It's rusted through on the passenger side just before the rear wheel. As I was going through the local junkyards I noticed all five Pathys I saw had the same rust holes as I did. ( I wanted to cut a piece from a junker for a direct weld-in piece instead of having to form one like I did.)

The culprit? A three inch hole inside the rear wheel wells. I'm not sure if it's been discussed here before but apparently it's a common problem. The passenger side of mine has the rocker rust but both wheel wells have the holes.

I have access to a welder so I'm fixing everything this weekend before the driver's side rots out as well.

I have the same problem... SALT!! :o :furious: poor pathy got cancer this year bothsides and I found a spot just behind the front wheel on the passenger side... looks like I have some major work on my hands here and no welder. I might have to do some mending and steal 88 idea on the rockers if he doesn't mind..

lm

As long as its low and concealable, grind it, chemically treat it, cut it, weld it, do whatever. Then prime and paint it with the proper rust inhibitors and treatments, and cover it up with the diamond plate bed rails from a late model Chevy S10/GMC. I used some from a 96 that came cheap on Ebay and with a little trim work, fit and look great. Plus they cover up the scars and repair work nicely.

My "new" 88 has rust holes all over. I'm slowly getting the worst of them. Some spots are going to need cut out and new steel welded in. Probably the worst ones I found were in the front part of the rear wheel wells, both sides have rotted out so that you can see the body mount through the hole. I hit both with the wire wheel, and some rust converter, then piled on some undercoating. I'll rip it apart next spring and get some new steel in there. To cold and rainy here now to work much (especially without a garage).