Failing U-joint?

4doordrift

Hi guys..

yet another problem, separate from the rolling resistance one. I think a U-Joint might be failing. The truck has 170000kms on it, I get a vibration, not through my wheel but through my seat, only under power, while accelerating in between 60-90 kms/hr.

I cant imagine it being the wheels being unbalanced, because i dont feel it in the steering wheel and i recently got them balanced.

Has anyone experienced a failing U-joint, like a gradually wearing U-joint? What are some symptoms? obviously im not driving around with a drive shaft dragging but i feel like it needs to be replaced, just from where the vibration is coming from and the fact that it happens under power only.

mine had no play in it, but the needle bearing in the cup were almost square.... I'v written a post on this somewhere... your 2002 fits in the timezone that they need to be changed... usually it starts with the front ones... this is easily verifiable by removing the front driveshaft.... if the vibration stops, then change the ujoints... and if you're like me and don't like doinf things twice, change them at the back too...

I used neapco ujoints from theujointstore.com

S.

Not saying it isnt...I would have someone sit int eh back and see if they feel it coming from under them on each side and in the cargo area.

withe he 60-90 kmph thing I would look to the following as well, a combination of:

rear wheels out of balace/wheel minor bent and/or rear sway bar bushings

Dude I get this too. I've been trying to track it down. Have you made any progress on this?

Nope not yet, still saving to replace them. I also suspect u joint causing the kick during shifting from 1st and 2nd gear, vibrating during deceleration. I'll update as soon as I have them replace.

Yesterday, I had a similar experience on my vehicle, vibration when I pulled out from the intersection. I was thinking to fix it on Monday. I need to do some shopping today. Can I go on the highway? How much does it usually cost?

well guys,

I found the problem! The vibration that was being transfered through out my car, was due to a 3inch rock, stuck in between my front diff and the cross member. So when i engaged 4wd it transfered all the normal vibration from the diff, through my crossmember instead of through the rubber mounts.

Strange find but happy its nothing serious!