Canadian Daytime Running Lights

Dieselboy

On a Canadian spec WD21, which lights come on as daytime running lights, and are they at full or reduced brightness?

Full beams?

Low beams?

Indicators?

Side/parking lights?

I'm required by law in Canada for my imported Terrano to have daytime running lights so that it passes inspection. Which means I can't just run with the headlights on during the day - has to be automatic. And I'd like it to be the same as the original Canadian-market Pathy.

I could swap the DRL module from my old dead parts Pathy out, but looking at the difference in wiring diagrams, it seems easier to drop $40 on an off-the shelf unit.

Edited by Dieselboy

On a Canadian spec WD21, which lights come on as daytime running lights, and are they at full or reduced brightness?

Full beams?

Low beams?

Indicators?

Side/parking lights?

I'm required by law in Canada for my imported Terrano to have daytime running lights so that it passes inspection. Which means I can't just run with the headlights on during the day - has to be automatic. And I'd like it to be the same as the original Canadian-market Pathy.

I could swap the DRL module from my old dead parts Pathy out, but looking at the difference in wiring diagrams, it seems easier to drop $40 on an off-the shelf unit.

Can they really force your vehicle to have something it didn't have to begin with? I know they can't do that over here in the US. Seat belts, for example, are only required on vehicles made after..1964 i think. There are a few other things I think.

Are you sure you can't find a loophole? Especially for imports. I know over here, if it's an import, nothing matters. I can import the cheapest car in the world (some POS from India that sells for like $2800 USD). It has ZERO safety, emissions, or luxury features. But I could still drive it legally.

As far as your actual issue. Can't you just always have the headlights on, but put some sort of resister on a circuit to dim them a little bit? Then run a separate circuit for the full power? That's probably what the system is that you're referring to. A relay that switches between full power and half power with a resistor. The only semi-complicated part is hooking up a photosensor or something.

What are daytime running lights good for anyway? I just don't understand what they do except waste energy and light bulbs. Use them for tunnels or something?

Yeah, its a bit of a PITA having to go through all the compliance stuff. Trying to find out what the exact rules and regs are is a nightmare. Going on different forums for Japanese imports just confuses the issue further as no one seems to know what they're talking about!

But, after ignoring all the misinformed talk on ricer forums out there and going directly to government websites, basically the Canada Motor Vehicle Safety Standard 108 requires DRLs on all vehicles made or imported after January 1, 1990. Vehicles made before this are grandfathered, but it does mean that my '92 Terrano will require them. Same as if I was importing a Pathy from the US.

Like the idea of a resistor and a relay. Wouldn't need a photosensor either as I could have it switch off when I switch on my low-beams. I still want to know whether to dim my low-beams, have my side lights on, or have my indicators on full time so its the same as the Can-spec Pathy.

As to why, well I guess its more useful up here further north with our really short days and low sun angles and crappy weather. I think the mandatory use of DRLs started in Scandinavia, where according to several reports the safety effect is roughly triple the benefit observed in relatively bright Israel and America. In the US though there appears to be very little difference between the safety record of vehicles equipped with DRLs and those without. Nevertheless, pretty much all new GM products now have DRLs, even in the US. Saab, Volkswagen, Volvo, Suzuki, Subaru, Honda and some Toyotas have them in the US too apparently. - thank heavens for Wikipedia for all this info!

Edited by Dieselboy

I know over here, if it's an import, nothing matters. I can import the cheapest car in the world (some POS from India that sells for like $2800 USD). It has ZERO safety, emissions, or luxury features. But I could still drive it legally.

Correct me if I'm wrong, but I was under the impression that to import a vehicle into the US it had to be 25 years old or greater, unless it was your personal property that you had owned and used for a year or more outside the country. That's pretty much Canada's regs too, but we've only got a 15 year limit, not 25.

Don't forget to get your RIV done by Canadian tire as well. I had a Nissan Dealership install my DRL module so it would be a factory install, but to be honest I wish I would have done it myself since I would have done a MUCH cleaner job.

Don't forget to get your RIV done by Canadian tire as well. I had a Nissan Dealership install my DRL module so it would be a factory install, but to be honest I wish I would have done it myself since I would have done a MUCH cleaner job.

The RIV - register of imported vehicles - only applies to imports from the US as far as I can discern from their website. My import broker at terra2imports and the Canada Boarder Service Agency have taken care of things at the Vancouver end after it arrived from Japan. Just waiting to get the Bill of Sale and the Vehicle Import Form 1 so I can get it through the Out of Province inspection and then licensed here in Alberta.

Edited by Dieselboy

The RIV - register of imported vehicles - only applies to imports from the US as far as I can discern from their website. My import broker at terra2imports and the Canada Boarder Service Agency have taken care of things at the Vancouver end after it arrived from Japan. Just waiting to get the Bill of Sale and the Vehicle Import Form 1 so I can get it through the Out of Province inspection and then licensed here in Alberta.

Ah, I wasn't aware it wasn't necessary if the importation isn't from the US. As you said, most likely terra2imports takes care of all the legal regulations pertaining to importation.

Do DRLs specifically refer to the headlights or can you simply add some other running lights (like a set of cheapo fogs) that turn on when you turn the ignition? I don't think that the DRLs that I've seen actuate the rear lights.

I'm all about over complicating issues and using donated parts but can understand the want to make the job quick, simple, and more headache free. I personally would rip out the stuff from the dead truck (but again, like to overcomplicate myself... And the fact I'm cheap and everything 'should' be there) but would most likely suggest if there's an affordable kit that's more strait forward to go that route to others.

I see/don't mind the point to DRLs (which are your high beams running at 1/2 power-no marker lights), they help with visibility for others to see you. Not so much for you to see better. I personally drive with my headlights on any time I go more than 4 blocks. And I ain't even touching the nothing matters for importing to the US comment...

Do DRLs specifically refer to the headlights or can you simply add some other running lights (like a set of cheapo fogs) that turn on when you turn the ignition? I don't think that the DRLs that I've seen actuate the rear lights.

When running DRLs, its only the lights in the front that come on, no tail lights. In North America, and in some other countries, DRL functionality was basically an adaption of the existing lights on the vehicle - be that dimmed low beams, side markers or turn signal lamps. Done this way to save the automakers money.

The European Union has just brought in new legislation that new cars built after February 2011 must be fitted with separate dedicated energy efficient DRLs as factory standard. Most of these are low ampage LED systems. Though the difference in power consumption isn't huge between dimmed low-beams and dedicated LED DRLs, when summed up over a year for all vehicles on the road in Europe, its a huge difference in fuel consumption and carbon emissions - at least that's the EU's thinking. Or maybe its some kind of economic stimulus package as their economies go belly-up!

I'm all about over complicating issues and using donated parts but can understand the want to make the job quick, simple, and more headache free. I personally would rip out the stuff from the dead truck (but again, like to overcomplicate myself... And the fact I'm cheap and everything 'should' be there) but would most likely suggest if there's an affordable kit that's more strait forward to go that route to others.

I was tempted to use the old DRL unit from my parts truck, but then I took a look at the difference in the wiring diagrams. Rather drop $40 for on an aftermarket unit than spend the same amount on meds for my headache!

Besides, if I use the factory unit, which I think dims my low-beams, then I can't install the HID kit that I want ;)

Canadian spec headlights

Canspecheadlights.jpg

US spec headlights

USspecheadlights.jpg

Edited by Dieselboy

The factory kit is dimmed high beams. I have two pathys, one has working DRL the other one is messed up and it runs on full high beam all the time. it wouldn't be hard to wire in the kit yourself. Maybe the harness is already there?

And to who said all they do is waste bulbs and energy. That is not true. There have been a few situations where it was either dusk or raining and I've almost hit cars turning into parking lots because they have no lights on and I couldn't see them. I'm not for all of fisher price ontario's rules but I do like DRL.

You could wire some foglights that come on with the ignition and that would count. As long as you have something it will pass inspection.

Dieselboy:

Did you import the terry yourself? Who did you use for auction/inspection etc?

The little reading I have done on the topic seems that the difficulty of importation depends greatly on the province, I hear BC is tough and Ontario is easy for the requirements such as DRLs for Ontario, but BC might require DOT approved lights and lenses!

Also, if you have not yet found http://forum.ivoac.ca/ I think you will find it a great resource.

It's a safety thing... you probably wouldn't be interested.... :rolleyes:

Ah haha. I see what you did there. Based on me not wanting hood insulation you're openly declaring that I'm against every safety device. Thats very clever of you.

No, I wouldn't be interested in DRLs. I would rather save my bulbs and what very little power they use.

"Ohhhh NOOO! There is a humongous Pathfinder barreling down the highway. Gee, let me look more closely. Ahhh, it's nearing me. I will be mowed down shortly.oh look, I can faintly see the slight glare of headlights. That means this is not a dream!!"

See, with that power I saved from the lights, I can now afford to honk three times at the person on my way WHILE listening to some classic 80s jams.

Dieselboy, I don't want to shoot down that study, because I know nothing about it, but you have to think about those numbers. If 3 people in the US or Israel died because a vehicle didn't have DRLs, but only one person in Scandinavia died because of this, then I could say that the death rate is three times higher in the US.

It is completely true, but not very fair to say. The connotation that goes along with "times three" is bigger than the results.

Dieselboy, I don't want to shoot down that study, because I know nothing about it, but you have to think about those numbers. If 3 people in the US or Israel died because a vehicle didn't have DRLs, but only one person in Scandinavia died because of this, then I could say that the death rate is three times higher in the US. It is completely true, but not very fair to say. The connotation that goes along with "times three" is bigger than the results.

Well, that's statistics for ya. As my old mathematics teacher used to say - "Stats are like a bikini. It's what they hide that's interesting!" Either way, I'm still required to make this mod by law to pass the inspection. :(

Did you import the terry yourself? Who did you use for auction/inspection etc?

The little reading I have done on the topic seems that the difficulty of importation depends greatly on the province, I hear BC is tough and Ontario is easy for the requirements such as DRLs for Ontario, but BC might require DOT approved lights and lenses!

I imported the Terry through terra2imports.ca. They're based in Vernon, BC. Gerry Martselos was the main dude handling my import. Basically, you drop $500 refundable deposit and you gain access to all the Japanese action listings. Its up to you to flag up vehicles you're interested in. Terra2 than get their guys in Japan to check it out and take a bunch of photos, then they advise you on suitable bids. Its up to you how much you bid of course. I was interested in 3 or 4 apparently good looking trucks but after the pre-auction inspection, I got waved off due to bad underbody rust. This one though looked awesome - a 1992 with only 50,000 on the clock.

After you're successful, they calculate all shipping, handling, customs and import duty costs etc and they organize shipping and importing for you. You can either collect and register the truck when it arrives in Vancouver, or get it shipped to you elsewhere in Canada. Mine caught the train to Edmonton. I'm just waiting for the hard copies of all the import docs so I can get a temporary permit to drive it home to get it up to spec to pass the OOP inspection. Another company that does way more and basically refurbs the vehicle to like-new condition before passing it on to the client is Outback Imports in Whitehorse, Yukon. Amazing hassle-free trucks, but pricey.

I think things are pretty lax here in Alberta inspection-wise. But as I have a parts truck, I'll probably swap all the lights over to my old DOT approved units anyway. I'd need to do that for the headlights as they're orientated differently for RHD than for LHD. Thanks for that link BTW - lots of useful info there.

• Like 1