MM manual hubs

shasdakota

hey guys,

yesterday i got my Mile Marker #430 manual hubs in the mail.

but i wasnt able to install them.

the spline count is right, but they dont seem long enough.

i have a Terrano, but i dont see how this would change things.

the hubs didnt come with any good directions, and i presumed it would be as easy as removing my old hubs, and installing the new hubs.

what am i doing wrong?

102_2715.jpg

102_2713.jpg

see how there's a gap between the hubs, and my rotor plate (the thing the wheel sits on- not sure on the proper terminology). i cant push it on anymore than that. what am i missing?

EDIT- after re-reading the instructions, i realized i was possibly removing the wrong snap ring. they ask you to seperate the dust cover and a snap ring from the hub assembly before installing. today i found another snap ring inside the hub assembly. i removed it, and now the hub assembly is free, but it doesnt help me to get the hubs on. still seem to small...

thanks for your input,

josh

Edited by shasdakota

here's some pics.

the instructions ask for you to seperate the dust cover and snap ring from the hub assembly, and then i should be able to install them, but they're still coming up short.

from left to right this is the hub assembly, snap ring, and dust cover:

102_2735.jpg

anyone know what i'm missing?

so the instructions also ask to remove the drive flange, but i dont know what that is...

i still think i might be doing something wrong, because they ask you to remove this snap ring before installing the hubs, as if that changes something, but i dont see any difference between trying to install the hub with the snap ring in place or with out it.

Never mind i just read your first post where you stated you have part# 430 which is only for the older 27 spline 86 to 89 pathys.

Those will never fit you need part# 435 which is for all 90 and up pathfinders, terranos and hardbodys that have 28 spline shafts.

Here's a link to the mile marker application chart that shows yours is that wrong one for your year.

http://www.milemarker.com/pdf_downloads/hubs_appchart.pdf

Edited by wd21overland

@!*%. the desprcription of the hubs said they were for a 27 spline Pathfinder. but now i realize its for a D21 not WD21. crap.

so, what, no manual hubs for the Terrano??? gonna have to ask the NZ/AUS guys whats up...

i can only find 28 spline hubs for the WD21. even in that link you posted.

i'm positive i have 27 splines. the 27 spline hubs i just bought fit on, they just arent long enough.

i still think i'm missing something about the install. do you guys have to remove anything besides the auto hubs when your swapping to manual hubs? is something off my cv axle spindle supposed to come off?

EDIT- Just read the second post 27 and 28 spline hubs are interchangeable?

Edited by shasdakota

a 91 Pathfinder is going to have 27 spline hubs. They did the switch to 28 in 1993 or 1992.5. Same time they changed the centerlink business.

Also, the only different between a D21 and a WD21, is a bunch of glass and sheet metal. All the mechanicals are pretty much the same. At least your issue was simple! I was going to suggest that you probably don't have all of your old auto hub removed.

a 91 Pathfinder is going to have 27 spline hubs. They did the switch to 28 in 1993 or 1992.5. Same time they changed the centerlink business.

Also, the only different between a D21 and a WD21, is a bunch of glass and sheet metal. All the mechanicals are pretty much the same. At least your issue was simple! I was going to suggest that you probably don't have all of your old auto hub removed.

As far as I can see, this conflicts with the information on our stickied page:

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=25662

There it basically says that 90+ is 28 spline...

Shasdakota, regarding the CVs, I think the attachments to the diff are not the same for the different spline counts, so I'd be careful...

That's completly wrong i have a 92 and a 90 and there both 28 splines.

Also the factory service manual shows 90 and up to have 28 splines.

Now keep in mind that it has to have the V6 in the early 90's to get the 28 splines 90 to 93 4 cyclinder hardbodys that were 4wd did have 27 splines.

Also here are a few sites to show that.

http://www.milemarker.com/pdf_downloads/hubs_appchart.pdf

http://www.warn.com/truck/hubs/premium_application_chart.shtml

http://www.courtesyparts.com/40250-hub-assy-free-running-pathfinder-wd21-08/1989-4wd-cyl-f/free-running-hub-f/free-running-hub-manual-p-549971.html?cPath=5572&

http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/nissan-pathfinder-wd21-r50-manual-hubs-c-38_39.html

yep, according to my research, all '90+ WD21 are supposed to have 28 splines. and i also read that the terrano I is supposed to have 28 splines, and the terrano II is supposed to have 27 splines. but that doesnt mesh with my truck. i have a terrano I w/ 27 splines... so it would be cool to hear from other terrano owners how many splines they have...

what about the pre '90 4cyl pathy, does it have 27 splines? do you think i could get cv shafts for that model to use on my truck?

or maybe i can get 27 spline cv shafts from japan. although i was really hoping i could find some on this side of the water...

adam- you said the attachment to the diff might be different for the different splined cv's, but i dont want to change my cv to one w/ different splines, i just want another 27 spline cv to fit on my WD21 terrano. so maybe the D21 27 spline cv will work? (since i already have a 27 spline cv)

Thanks for the correction! I don't know why I thought they changed the spline count and the center link stuff at the same time, I KNOW the center link and tie-rods changed in 92.5 or 93.

Also, I'm not sure if it matters that your truck is a Terrano? It's a WD21 with a cooler name.