Antenna length

sewebster

My truck had no antenna so I got one from the pick-a-part (from another WD21). I just unscrewed the antenna itself and screwed it into my mount. So I guess this means it's not a power antenna or anything.

Anyway, I just went into a parkade the other day and I noticed that my antenna was hitting on signs hanging from the roof. Yikes, not really a big deal, but is it supposed to be that long? Seems kinda odd. I suppose I should measure, but I'd say it's about a meter (3 feet) long.

Any idea on whether the WD21 is just a long one, or whether I somehow got an aftermarket one from the junkyard? I guess I could just cut the end off....

Most (I said most, not all) unmodified vechiles the radio antenna is the highest point, I'd rather smack that than the top of my windshield...

I did a quick measure and my antenna is 31.5", a 99 Explorer hear at work has a 32" one as does a 97 caravan. Our GMC 6500 has a 30" and or HD 3500 wrecker (which uses the same cab as the 6500) has a 30.5" one. I'm not gonna measure every antenna here but it seems to be an average height on the couple larger-than-a-neon things I briefly checked.

Mine is 31", so probably the same as your 31.5" and I just measured from a different place. I'll have to be careful with parkades with my ski rack on... must be getting pretty close. Thanks for the measurements!

I smack mine every time i go into my garage lol. But with 6" of lift and 33's now i'm only about 2 inches from the roof rack hitting it anyway.

I think that why the wife wants me to get a roof basket because she knows once its on i can't fit into the garage so its all her's lol.

Downtown parking garages are one of the reasons we still have a little FWD commuter/spare car. Between roof mounts/ski rack crap on my roof and the basket with a full size spare in it on the roof of her truck (both a little higher than stock to begin with) we would be SOL on some parking sitiations.