annoying clunk from rear cargo area.

captandy

subtle clunk,, sounds like the spare tire rack,,, maybe some play in the rear window or hatch back itself,, driving with rear lift open slows the noise down,, maybe some play in the latch assembly that holds the lift gate to body?? i try not to be anal but those of you know what im talking about,,,,,,

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/captandytoo/IMG_20111014_181737.jpg

Edited by captandy

I had something similar, it was the ring that the tailgate latches to (above the bumper) Apparently there is some black plastic over the ring when it comes from the factory. I just used some electrical tape wrapped around the ring and it solved the problem

Edited by erathge

if rear sway bar links,,, couldnt i recreate by pushing down on bumper up down sideways and hear noise.... no noise just gushy swish from ranchos........

Not really, my right side rear link is gone and it's hard to get it to make noise when I'm parked. Just get under there and watch/feel for play in the link.

Get under there with a soft rubber hammer and lightly tap on everything. You will know when you find a loose part. The sway bar end links wont move if the vehicle is leaning to one side. Remove one side and then check them both for slack.

James

definately not tire rack.... or window hatch... or lift gate,, gotta be sway arm links...,,, thanks guys... im thinking after 120k and recent new ac lift... the front ones went after a week.. they were stock.. iys probably time for rears..

Mine has the rear hatch rattle. Bad enough when I take off from a stop or turn a curve my dome lights come on. My brother is callin my ride "Flash" heh. I shut a rubber mat from work in the hatch and fixed the prob for a little bit. The door open light on the dash also flashes. So some electrical tape may be my fix for a while.

subtle clunk,, sounds like the spare tire rack,,, maybe some play in the rear window or hatch back itself,, driving with rear lift open slows the noise down,, maybe some play in the latch assembly that holds the lift gate to body?? i try not to be anal but those of you know what im talking about,,,,,,

http://i128.photobucket.com/albums/p189/captandytoo/IMG_20111014_181737.jpg

Do you hear the sound whenever you go over bumps? Because i know that when i had the stock suspension in my R50 my rear shocks were toast so whenever i went over a bump my my spring would top out and hit my bump stops.

Rancho 5000 misfit... lots of play..... added washers and fixed it ,, thats where some of the clunking coming from... thanks ac

shock.jpg

IMG_20111103_1419441.jpg

Edited by captandy

Yea i just noticed a clunk from my rear passenger side this past weekend crusing thru the my deer lease. Turns out either me or my brother didnt put the sleeve in the bottom shock bolt hole so the rubber has squished down allowing my shock to rock up and down causing a nasty rattle in rough terrain. At least it was somethin small!

• 4 months later...

I started hearing a clunk in my rear over the last month too.

Is it possible my sagging suspension is giving me some noise from the bump stop? At rest, it is sitting very very low and looks like it may be rattling.

Anyhow, i've had it jacked up twice in the last few weeks banging on everything and can't find anything loose. Lift is going on next weekend, so if its the truck sitting too low allowing the bump stops to hit, that should be fixed.

I started hearing a clunk in my rear over the last month too.

Is it possible my sagging suspension is giving me some noise from the bump stop? At rest, it is sitting very very low and looks like it may be rattling.

Anyhow, i've had it jacked up twice in the last few weeks banging on everything and can't find anything loose. Lift is going on next weekend, so if its the truck sitting too low allowing the bump stops to hit, that should be fixed.

I gained 5" of lift when I measured the rear fender wells from the ground (actual lift should be measured from the center of the wheel hub to the fender) due to the "saggy ass". Oh, I too had the clunking sound and bottoming out that would shake the fillings out of your teeth.

*edit ... the lift has since settled down a little bit as expected.

Edited by devonianwalk

I gained 5" of lift when I measured the rear fender wells from the ground (actual lift should be measured from the center of the wheel hub to the fender) due to the "saggy ass". Oh, I too had the clunking sound and bottoming out that would shake the fillings out of your teeth.

*edit ... the lift has since settled down a little bit as expected.

Well I hope my theory of the rubbing bump stops is the cure, because the suspension looks good.

I found in the shop manual some stock measurements for my vehicle, measured from the ground to the fender, the rear is supposed to be 34.96. With my truck in my shop, it measures 31.75, so with my lift I should gain a good 4.5" same as yours.

Pretty poor rear OEM coils... which is a big reason I did not want to put them back in.