Help: 4wd sticky :S

4doordrift

Hi guys,

Hoping you can help me figure this out. Any time i put my truck in 4wd and turn my wheel to lock either in reverse or forward gear and try to move. The truck resists. It feels like there's mad resistance somewhere. I just am not too familiar with all the parts in a 4wd system. Is this maybe like warn out hubs or something like that ? :S. I have a 02 Chilkoot, 5sp, manual transfer case.

Any help would be greatly appreciated i want to solve this soon!

Cheers,

4wd to full lock will do that... especially on harder surfaces, (i hope you arent doing this on pavement/ concrete!!! :O )

all four wheels are trying to turn at the same time, its normal. :)

at full lock there's a good chance your binding up the cv joints depending on how sharp full lock is on your truck (not a r50 person) that would 'restrict' and cause the front wheels to 'resist' spinning.

If it feels 'normal' when going straight and has progressively more rolling resistance the tighter you turn it's normal. Turning radius on dirt increases a bunch when in 4wd due to tire slippage caused by the front and rear ends travelling different distances while locked together. The differentials only help with side-to-side differences in wheel speed.

• 2 weeks later...

Alright guys, this is becoming a problem

Even in RWD i can feel progressively more resistance than what is normal, also my left front wheel squeaks occasionaly with each rotation. There is something in the driveline that is causing this. For some reason im leaning twords a wheel bearings being shot, but im not a 100% sure.

What are your thoughts, it is now winter i dont have an indoor area to work on the path, so im most likely going to take it to a shop.

Any help is appreciated

Thanks,

Well, if you can handle it, you could always crawl under the left front, remove the 8 bolts holding the front driveshaft in. You could try driving it then and you will be able to verify the transfer case is not the issue. Im thinking maybe you have a hub locking up.

For some reason im leaning twords a wheel bearings being shot, but im not a 100% sure.

After just glossing this thread, I'm thinking you could be right. The good news is that it only takes 10 minutes to check... ;)

B