Lost reverse 2 Need help finding one

jaredfrompcola

Well as you know I lost reverse. I took it to a friend who changed the tranny oil and he looked at the magnet and had small metal pieces on it. He said he thinks its maybe reverse sprage not sure if that how or what he called it. He said I need to find a refurb tranny. Anyone know of where I can find a good place to buy one. Or should I look at a junk yard. Any thing will help guys thanks. (Also do I have to find a tranny from a 95 or can I put a newer model on my 95)

Edited by jaredfrompcola

If you have metal shavings on the magnet then chances are that you have metal shavings inside the transmission cooler line as well. I would check the cooler out first as that's the main reason why the automatic transmissions fail. The other thing you could do after you check out the cooling line is put some SeaFoam TransTune into the transmission and see if that helps you get reverse back. A junkyard transmission is the last place to look because chances are they are busted anyway. Just an FYI, you can take those transmissions out of any 3.0 or 3.3 Pathfinder or 3.3 Xterra up until 2004.

• Like 1

If I am in the junkyard and auto Pathy has no body damage, I assume the tranny is why its in there. Your best bet is finding one that still runs that has body damage that they can prove the tranny still works before you buy. Either way, they have such a high failure rate anything but a rebuild is taking a chance.

Only supercharged Xterras and Frontiers have tougher transmissions. You want 2001+ supercharged for a beefier transmission.

Are you sure about that? The rebuild bulletin I found sometime ago showed that all 2001+ transmissions were uprated. The bulkpart transmission rebuild kits only go to 2000. I don't imagine Nissan would maintain 2 separate part numbers for that. Given the old transmission design had so many failures, I would expect it to be a design revision for the entire line.

Can anyone definitively confirm/deny this?

Alkorahil: Any chance you can look into this and settle this myth once and for all?

Not definitely per se, but the new part number supersedes the old one. There's no way of telling between an older RE4 and the HD unless you know which vehicle it came out of (what I was told while trying to pick up an HD transmission for MY1PATH). Everything is the same besides the internals.

So if you call a used transmission place and ask for an Xterra transmission, unless they wrote down that it came from an Xterra, they have no way of knowing which transmission they have. All they know is RE4R01A, auto transfer case or standard. Unfortunately for us, in Japan they offered the Xterra with the auto transfer case but not here. So what you may think is an R50 transmission due to the auto BS, could still be an Xterra tranny.

Edited by Kingman

Well I broke down and got a small loan for the tranny. Its going to cost $2000. He is rebuilding it and I told him that the forum says that I should put a new tranny cooler on. He says he is going to rebuild it like it was new and he always puts a new cooler on. I hope it works. If I can I am going to take picture of the bad part. I drove my pathy for two weeks after I lost reverse, then last night it had a whining noise, I asked him about it and he said it was losing tranny oil pressure.

Well I broke down and got a small loan for the tranny. Its going to cost $2000. He is rebuilding it and I told him that the forum says that I should put a new tranny cooler on. He says he is going to rebuild it like it was new and he always puts a new cooler on. I hope it works. If I can I am going to take picture of the bad part. I drove my pathy for two weeks after I lost reverse, then last night it had a whining noise, I asked him about it and he said it was losing tranny oil pressure

Forgot to add I told him about this forum and he said that the first thing that should be on the title line is

(All Nissan Transmission Are Piece of Sh%t) LOL

The transmissions are not @!*%, it is the lack of proper cooling that is the problem. I have nearly 400,000km on my transmission that still works flawlessly. It made it to 300,000 on the stock cooler. And I tow with it regularly.

Edited by adamzan