V-Belts

Tungsten

It looks like my V-belts are showing their age again... So here is my question:

Out of all the V-belts, which ones do you run and why?

I ran Nissan (Bando), Gates, and Dayco belts so far and all of them seem to last about the same before they start to go bad or show signs of wear and tear. I need something that won't shred in the 5000-6000 rpm range.

Edited by Tungsten
  • Like 1

How long does that last for you? All the A/C belts have had an average life of 20,000 miles for me before they started to make noise or lose chunks. The other 2 belts seem to last a little longer than that.

• Like 1

Cool! My shop also recommended Gates belts so I think I might go with that. I had Dayco belts before and liked how they sank into the pulleys but don't mind trying Gates. I had great luck with Gates cooling system hoses too.

• Like 1

I don't know but the A/C belt for some reason wears out only after 20,000 miles. The other belts still look like new. It has been a mystery but when I googled the issue it seems some Pathfinders just eat the A/C belts right up. My A/C clutch doesn't stick and the idler pulley free wheels just fine. Maybe there isn't enough tension on the A/C belt?

• Like 1

Usually belts will shred if they are too loose and pulleys don't last if the belts are too tight. Either way too loose or too tight is never good news so I will check the belt deflection again with new belts.

• Like 1

Usually belts will shred if they are too loose and pulleys don't last if the belts are too tight. Either way too loose or too tight is never good news so I will check the belt deflection again with new belts.

Always error on the side of too loose VS too tight, the components will last longer.

B