Over regulation idiocy!

Precise1

Ok, so I ordered a water filter amongst other things...

http://www.cheaperthandirt.com/CAMP356-1.html

Please note what this filter removes and who has tested it. Also note it is widely used in 3rd world countries.

When I got the order, this filter was not included and I was refunded the amount. I sent CTD an email asking what gives and got this reply.

Bernard,

We apologize, but the item is restricted to CA because it does not meet the State’s EPA standards.

And after a brief search, I found this information...

http://www.thefactsaboutwater.org/pdf/TheFactsAboutWater-Regulations_Content.pdf

So, in a nutshell, because the filter was not tested by California against supplied data and licensed, it can't be sold here.

Now, I ordered this unit to put in my disaster preparedness kit in case of things like, you know, EARTHQUAKES that are known to fark up water supplies. It will filter out chlorine, lead, anthrax, e coli, etc but it is not good enough to ensure that I have some clean water to drink, cook with, clean myself with?? Because it hasn't been proven (and paid for) to California? Am I not able to verify that the product I am purchasing is adequate for the needs and uses I intend? Shall I simply ingest unfiltered contaminated water in stead or simply go thirsty??

I'm able to shrug off much of the over regulation in California, but this has taken bureaucracy, greed and sheer stupidity to a new level!! What absolute asshats!!

I'm going to see what products are endorsed and compare effectiveness and price, and depending, I'll have someone order it for me.

B

that's a fine mess of red tape there. it makes it seem even more trivial for me to be s.o.l. when i want a bottle of wine after 5 for sunday dinner. thanks ontario :rant2:

That is alot of BS but doesn't surprise me for that state. I wouldn't live there because of the firearm laws but I see they went much further than just firearms laws to screw your freedoms. I ordered the the ceramic filter from them that goes in a 5 gallon bucket but I was looking at this one because it's more portable. I would see if you can find the same filter somewhere else first so it doesn't cost you twice on the shipping.

James

• 4 weeks later...

Well, thank you all for the good suggestions and I was able to purchase the item from someone else who was unaware (or uncaring) of the technicality and at a cheaper price too. Replacement filters are $32 for a set and the entire unit was $40 so I bought two for good luck.

I did find out why it was not 'approved' for California, it only filters sediment, bacteria and most minerals/chemicals, not viruses which are much smaller. I am probably going to buy another filter that removes viruses (hepatitus soup sounds nasty to me) and use it as well, probably as a final filter after the other one removes the chunks and uses the activated charcoal to improve taste.

Hopefully all of this is unnecessary, but far better safe than sorry!!

B

California is the only state I know of that requires a large WARNING sticker on the driver side window stating that the materials used in the production of the vehicle, and the USE of the vehicle, is hazardous to ones health.