newbie from NH

Pbpredator

Hi im Ray... I've owned a 1995 XE (manual 5spd non 4wd) for 6 or 7 years now bit I recently moved from Florida to new Hampshire. In Florida there are no inspection laws so I have kinda driven the poor thing into the ground... but its taken everything I've tossed at it... including driving it from Florida to nh last month... now I need to whip it back into shape so it will pass inspection up here. Its definitely got some character and some flaws which I hope to smooth over. I work at a car parts store so I get a great discount on parts now ;) so I want to start doing my own work. I have no mechanical background but I have been teaching myself. My latest feet's have been replacing the front center link, replacing the right rear brake cylinder, and replacing my struts. I still have much more to do so im hoping I can find some help/answers here and maybe help provide help/answers later on :). Will post pictures of my pathy (which I have named the RaceUV) later.

Howdy Ray, and welcome!!

Well, we kind of specialize in Pathfinders, so odds are if you have a question we have an answer. We'll walk you through what ever you need help with in trade for cheap auto parts. Just kidding, we'll help you regardless... just more for cheap parts... :D

B

My next couple of projects are figuring out this noise coming from the engine bay... sounds like a fluttering whistle mixed with ticking that increases with rpm and also under load rpm... some friends have said it is a knock some say a noisy lifter some say its an exhaust leak, and also the key will not engage my starter so I ran a wire to jump the solenoid to a switch for a push button start -_- ( I would rather just use my key)... but I purchased some lower viscosity oil and some Lucas stabilizer and all the exhaust gaskets to stop the noise hopefully... just need to find what size bolts I need to use to replace the exhaust bolts...

Here's some pictures of my beauty :D. I replaced the stock pathfinder rims with some frontier rims from the newer models so i think they look pretty classy :)

raceuv.jpg

975335827_photobucket_56433_.jpg

975335827_photobucket_56435_.jpg

And here is my custom cold air intake... I used an AEM pipe from a friends Sentra that just so happened to fit :D and the filter I use is better now... its a bigger filter and sits better in the bumper well.

coldairintake.jpg

coldairintake2.jpg

Hope you guys like my Pathy... like I said it has some bumps and bruises but I think its a pretty sexy SUV still.

I'd been wondering if Frontier rims would fit... looks nice. :D

Make sure it's not the exhaust before messing with the oil, most of the noise generally comes from the headers on these. Mine ticks a little at startup from the valves now and then, but after a few seconds it gets enough oil up in there to shut it up. From what I've read, the Lucas stuff is crap, and it may actually damage your engine. What weight oil are you using? I run 10w-30 in mine, stock spec is much thinner (5w30?) but probably not adequate for a sixteen year old engine.