Electrical Gremlins

01silvapathy

Hello all! Its been awhile since I have posted anything but boy do I have a dousey for yall!

So today was an interesting day for the pathy. I noticed that my parking lights which I usually run around with on were not actually on. They worked last night so I figured it was just a fuse and didnt worry about it that much. Coming home tonight I realized that even with my headlights on the turn signals will not stay on. They flash whenever you use the actual blinker but they wont just stay on with the headlights. To add to the problem my gauges wont illuminate anymore. The dimmer wont work and I cant see anything in the dark, the clock does not fade either like it does when you have the headlights on vs off. I checked the fuses inside for the turn signal and it was good, and I know the bulbs work. I looked at both fuse boxes in the engine bay and nothing really seemed to be related. So I guess I need to find out whats going on here. Its not a huge deal, my gps and phone both have speedometers but I really need to see the gas gauge if anything on the dash along with the temp.

I dont know if its related or not, but my left side speakers both in the front and rear door along with the right side tweeter are starting to not work from time to time. Im not sure if its an issue with my deck connection but I swear when I turn is when I have the issues. Any help would be great guys!

Already checked most all of them minus the connections for the speakers obviously. Its weird that they would all just kinda stop working at the same time. I wonder if there is some wire that runs power to all of them maybe? Electrical is not my strong point at all.

Very strange indeed. It has to be related to your deck if you are having speaker issues. It could be a relay issue. Have you tried toggleing (spl?) your roof mounted lights on/off? If your deck has an illumination wire, try disconnecting it as you may have some sort of weird "feedback" going on. Please keep us updated on this gremlin. :thumbsdown:

*edit ...

For the fact of your head unit, try disconnecting it entirely from ALL wire harnesses and reattempt the regular functions with your lights. :shrug:

Edited by devonianwalk

Check tail light fuse in the engine bay. I blew the tail fuse the other day and interior illumination, parking lights, tail lights died.

About the speakers, do you have the stock Bose system? The passenger front speaker was cutting in and out randomly for me when I had it. The tweeters always worked for me, but sounded significantly better after the tweeter mod and I could actually hear them! If you're still using the stock tweeters I highly suggest doing this mod.

Edited by Towncivilian

I'm still curious as to why the speakers are not working properly. I get the failed illumination (inside and out) but, for the radio to fail has to either be an issue with the head unit or an improper ground somewhere?

The power to the dash lights runs through the dimmer switch. check it, or replace it with a spare. It'll probably fix your running lights too, oddly enough.

You checked fuses you can cross that off (did you pull them and visually look or use a test light?) Are r50 headlight switches tear down-able like wd21 ones? Might be an issue in there, hence the loss of running lights AND dash lights since they are powered at the same time :shrug:

Tail fuse? What is that? And yes the fuse was looked at and appeared to be in good working order. As as stated before both signals still work when the blinker is on they just dont stay illuminated as parking lights or when the headlights are on.

The fuse labelled "TAIL" in the engine bay fuse box, behind the battery. It controls interior lighting, parking lights, and taillights (but not stop lights). It's a red 10A fuse.

Edited by Towncivilian

Thanks a ton man! Never would have guessed any of that was controlled by a fuse labeled TAIL lol. I will try it in the morning, come to think of it I kinda remember hearing a pop noise at one moment this morning....but that could have also been my HID's never know! Will post back up when I check out the tail fuse

I had an LED bulb in my glove box lamp, and one of the leads broke in the socket and caused a short. I heard and saw sparking in the socket after I removed the LED since it was flickering, and heard the fuse blow with a faint click shortly afterwards. Luckily, there was a spare 10A fuse behind the coin drawer. I instantly knew it was the TAIL fuse for some reason, since I read that interior lighting was tied to that fuse before and it stuck in my mind. I hope that's your only problem! If it blows again, you obviously have a fault somewhere; I'd start by checking your radio wiring, since if you left the illumination wire unconnected on the vehicle's harness, it could be shorting against the DIN brackets or something. Check for dead bulbs next if there's no issue there I guess.

... I'd start by checking your radio wiring, since if you left the illumination wire unconnected on the vehicle's harness, it could be shorting against the DIN brackets or something. Check for dead bulbs next if there's no issue there I guess.

Thank you. I've been aiming towards this "phenomena".

It really sounds like an exposed wire that is rubbing against the chasis (ground). Check those roof lights you installed and make sure there are no breaks in the wire touching ground. This would blow a fuse.

Well looks like TownCivillian hit the nail on the head with this one! It was the tail fuse as stated above. Had a spare in the fuse panel inside so a quick switch over and all the lights work again!

Now to figure out WHY it popped. Fuses don't usually 'wear out'

Now to figure out WHY it popped. Fuses don't usually 'wear out'

Exactly, there's a reason it popped. Usually it's a short-to-ground if the problem isn't on a high amperage circuit (running lights and stuff are not).