Looking at a 94 SE 4x4

stoneydude

2 members have voted

1. 1. Is this worth buying?

• Yes
    • No, keep looking

Hey guys,

I've been lurking on this site again looking for more info about wd21's. I have recently found a 1994 Pathfinder SE. It was originally bought in Seneca Falls, NY and spent the first 3 years of it's life there. Then in 2002 the Carfax says it was imported into the US through customs in Brunswick, GA. The next entry says it was registered 2 months later in Texas. The current owner then bought the car in Springfield, MO in March of 2007 with 116,000 miles. He moved here to Dallas, TX about a year ago and has just bought another car and needs to sell this one. It has 160,000 miles currently. The maintenance that has been done includes:

Timing belt @ 120,000 miles

New starter

New brake rotors

New blower motor relay

New CV boots

New Firestone Destination LE's 31x10.5 and rotated every oil change @ 3,000 miles

Knock sensor replaced

New bypass hose and thermostat

New lower radiator hose

The truck has a flip up sunroof, he lost the shade, a new Pioneer head unit with ipod and USB hookups, new Pioneer speakers all around. The interior is very clean excluding the vinyl on the light bar above your head, that is falling off. Mechanically it runs great and the only noise I heard from driving it around is the a/c blower.

The truck does have some rust spots, a couple you can see in the pic, around the bottom rear of the rear doorsils and above the rear fenders. Another one on the front passenger fender has bubbling paint and the front driver inner fender has rust right by the radiator. Under the car there is some surface rust on the suspension components. The frame on the drivers side is pretty flaky though which is what concerns me the most.

He's asking $2,250. Edmunds has it listed as $675 for private party and $1,750 for dealer retail. The KBB, which is what this guy is basing his price on, says $2,500 for private party. On both I rated the car in fair condition.

Here's the picture I have of it

pathy.jpg

What do you guys think? Should I buy it or not? Does this seem like a fair price?

Thanks,

Andrew

Edited by stoneydude

Rust on the frame and under the seats are both major problem areas. Hit both with a hammer and see what falls off...

That's aboot all I know since I'm not from the rust belt and wouldn't buy a car with rust. :shrug:

B

I'm not sure what "flaky" means... you need to do what Precise said and hit it and see if it's just some flakes on the surface, or whether the whole frame has corroded.

Anyway, the price isn't out of this world high or anything. It all depends on the condition. It sounds not too bad, but once you own the truck it would be pretty easy to drop a bunch more cash into it doing "minor" things like suspension bushings etc etc. I guess maybe what I'm saying is that if $2k is at the very top of your budget, I might be worried about needing to do some work once you got it. If you can afford it though, and you can determine that the frame and floor etc. are in good shape then probably you can make it into a good truck!

Well after some talk with my mechanic and father about it, I could only offer him $500 because of the rust. He said he'll keep me in mind if he can't sell it in the next few months. So that's where I stand, on the hunt again!

It's tough to make a patched frame as strong as original, especially if you don't know the extent of the rust. I won't be able to tow with mine even after we weld up the sides of the frame, because the back half (above the tail pipe) is iffy too. (When I get a welder of my own, I'll tear further into it, but for now I'm depending on my dad's money and my uncle's welding, and they're both tired of working on this thing.)

Mine looked a little flakey too, until I started beating it with a hammer. Then the flakes fell off and revealed holes and sixteen years worth of dirt... I had to pull the wheel off to find the bad stuff. Definitely check it out before you buy. The outside looks pretty clean, though.

• 2 weeks later...

That's what my plan was. Just patch it and drive it to work and school for a while until I could afford something better. It's still on craigslist and the guy lives down the street from me so if he still has it in a month he said he'd give me a call back.