What fluids & filters are you running?

Towncivilian

Updated my first post with a new engine air filter (Wix 46116 - cheaper than OEM and double the pleats! see here) and cabin air filter: Nissan OEM part 999M1-VP003 (but use B7200-00004 if you really want OEM, as the former part # comes with instructions, a new clip, a replacement sticker, and a caution label - all useless, IMO) - read my NAPA Gold vs. OEM filter comparison. I'd say get the NAPA Gold 4863 instead for cheaper.

And yes, I can't sleep.

• 2 months later...

• Fluids
    • Engine Oil - Royal Purple Synthetic 5w30
    • Coolant - Prestone 50:50 something. Going to be getting rid of that soon
    • ATF - Generic crap that Advance Sells
    • MTF - Going to put Redline Mt-90 in
    • Brake Fluid - Some generic DOT 3. My one caliper has a leak, so I think most of the fluid is fresh.
    • Power Steering Fluid - No idea.
    • Front Diff - Not sure
    • Rear Diff - I hope there's gear oil
    • Transfer Case - Not sure

[*]Filters

• Oil Filter - Purolator Gold. From what I've read around here, I'll be upgrading this soon
    • Air Filter - K&N
    • In-Cabin Air Filter - Probably stock.
    • Fuel Filter - Probably stock
    • ATF Filter - Probably stock

[*]Change intervals

• Fluids
      • Engine Oil - Every 3,000 miles. I'm going to wait a bit longer since I'm using Synthetic
      • Coolant - Need to do a complete flush
      • ATF - I did it once
      • MTF -
      • Brake Fluid - Top it off once a month or so
      • Power Steering Fluid - I check once every two weeks
      • Front Diff - Needs to be done
      • Rear Diff - Needs to be done
      • Transfer Case - Needs to be done

[*]Filters

• Oil Filter - one per oil change
      • Air Filter - Brand new. About 400 miles old. I will be cleaning it in a year or so
      • In-Cabin Air Filter - Soon
      • Fuel Filter - Soon
      • ATF Filter - Not gonna worry about it

Hopefully over the next few days I can edit this list and fill it in with some good answers

Oh yeah, I have a 1994 Nissan King Cab SEV6 4x4 with 128k miles. Since my mileage isn't TOO high, I hope none of my stuff is ruined too badly. I guess, if the diffs have been done even once, then I should be safe.

I'm assuming a Purolator Gold is a Purolator PureONE filter. What did you read that made you change your mind about them? I think they're very well constructed, have plenty of filtering media, and can easily last 5 to 7k miles in a clean engine.

Thanks for posting all of this everyone. I'm about to do a full fluid revival on my 95 (currently has 197,000 miles, I got it with 72k). I've had it for about 6 years and I've always been meticulous about changing the oil and the A/T fluid (it's a replacement A/T). I've been fairly good about having the 2 diff's and the transfer case done.

I have never changed the brake fluid (but have been wanting to for a while), I think I might just get it done.....

I have never changed the power steering fluid.

I feel like the power steering fluid is the biggest inconsistency on this thread. Some people are saying check it every two weeks, some years, and then there's some like me.....never.... :hide:

@Towncivilian - to change the PS fluid, are you saying to just suck it out with the baster and then refill (and do you repeat for a few days in a row to get all the crap out)? Also, you do this every 3 - 5k miles? Thanks again!

Yes, use a turkey baster or suction gun to siphon the fluid, then refill with the fluid of your choice (preferably some synthetic ATF). When I did this the first time, I siphoned the reservoir, started the engine, moved the wheel lock to lock a few times then stopped engine and repeated until out of ATF, to exchange the vast majority of the fluid. I siphon & fill the reservoir every oil change or every other oil change to keep things fresh.

Or if you want to be very thorough, you can siphon the reservoir, disconnect the return line, extend the line if necessary to point it in a collection bucket, jack up the car, and have a helper turn the wheel with the engine off (otherwise the return line pressure is really high) as you fill the reservoir with fresh fluid. Once you see fresh fluid coming from the return line, stop and hook everything back up, top off the level, and you're good. Maybe add a Magnefine if you're crazy.

Edited by Towncivilian

• Fluids

• Engine Oil - Current motor- pennzoil 10-w30, new motor was broke in on Delo 400 le
    • Coolant - Prestone mixed 50-50
    • ATF - Old- Dex V, New B&M trick shift
    • MTF -
    • Brake Fluid - Supertech DOT3
    • Power Steering Fluid - Prestone
    • Front Diff - 75-90
    • Rear Diff - 90-140 supertech
    • Transfer Case - Dex V

[*]Filters

• Oil Filter - Fram then supertech,- new motor WIX
    • Air Filter - Fram then K&N drop in- new motor K&N black top
    • In-Cabin Air Filter - Factory installed
    • Fuel Filter - Factory installed
    • ATF Filter - $29 one.

[*]Change intervals

• Fluids

• Engine Oil - Old one-Every 2-3k New one - Once before dyno run.
      • Coolant - Every 2 years
      • ATF - Every 30k
      • MTF -
      • Brake Fluid - When they die
      • Power Steering Fluid - Never
      • Front Diff - Every 100k
      • Rear Diff - Every 50k, with syn every 100k
      • Transfer Case - Every 100k

[*]Filters

• Oil Filter - Every change
      • Air Filter - When torn/ cant clean with air hose.
      • In-Cabin Air Filter - Never, Dont think it has one.
      • Fuel Filter - As needed
      • ATF Filter - Every fluid change.

Grease Lucas red N tacky or Traveler truck and tractor.

Edited by nismothunder

Is it normal for the gear oil that came out of my transfer case to reek of burnt metal? I put my finger in it to see how black it was. It was pretty dark and it almost made me throw up it smelled so bad.

No first-hand experience, but I'd think it can smell pretty bad. The transfer case has no active cooling as far as I know, so I'd think it can get pretty damn hot. If it smells burnt, the fluid is oxidizing and should be changed for sure. Gear oil also has that disgusting sulfur smell as you've noticed, which doesn't help things.

No first-hand experience, but I'd think it can smell pretty bad. The transfer case has no active cooling as far as I know, so I'd think it can get pretty damn hot. If it smells burnt, the fluid is oxidizing and should be changed for sure. Gear oil also has that disgusting sulfur smell as you've noticed, which doesn't help things.

Wonderful. When I came back from picking up the Mobil 1 75w90 gear oil (thanks for the coupons!!! Free coolant and some PB blaster) I jokingly asked my dad "hey, you think you could light gear oil on fire? It IS oil" he said "nah, you could probably throw it in a fire and it might smolder"

I have no intentions of lighting gear oil on fire and finding out, but it's weird to think about. You would think something that thick wouldn't catch on fire, per se, but it is oil.

• 1 year later...

I have a new (to me) truck so things have changed a bit, so I'm bumping this thread.

• Fluids
    • Engine Oil - Valvoline Conventional 5w30 (Going to switch to Synpower on next change)
    • Coolant - Canadian Tire brand regular "green" mixed 60/40 (not long life)
    • ATF - Amsoil ATF
    • MTF - N/A
    • Brake Fluid - Unknown (Plan to replace with Napa DOT3)
    • Power Steering Fluid - Cheap autozone ATF that I put in when I was in Florida.
    • Front Diff - Petro-Canada Brand 80w90
    • Rear Diff - Motomaster Synthetic 80w90 (For LSD)
    • Transfer Case - Amsoil ATF
  • Filters
    • Oil Filter - Either Bosch, quaker state, or purolater. Depends on availability.
    • Air Filter - Motomaster
    • In-Cabin Air Filter - N/A
    • Fuel Filter - Fram
    • ATF Filter - PO says it was from NAPA, so probably a wix.
  • Change intervals
    • Fluids
      • Engine Oil - Every 5-6k (km)
      • Coolant - Every 2 years
      • ATF - Every 40k or year. (Year usually comes first)
      • MTF - N/A
      • Brake Fluid - Every time I change the pads. Will be doing this come spring.
      • Power Steering Fluid - I've only done it once so far, in Florida, it fixed my moaning pump.
      • Front Diff - Once a year, but not if I haven't wheeled or used the 4x4 much
      • Rear Diff - Once a year, depending on wheeling time
      • Transfer Case - Same as rear diff
    • Filters
      • Oil Filter - Every oil change
      • Air Filter - When it looks dirty
      • In-Cabin Air Filter - N/A
      • Fuel Filter - Every other year, I do it just before the emissions test usually
      • ATF Filter - Its been about 40k, I will probably inspect it next time I change the fluid

I plan on converting the diffs to all the same (more than likely the motomaster, as it is a shell product). This is just what is in there now.

Edited by adamzan

Just because a filter looks dirty doesn't mean it's clogged or should necessarily be changed. Filters do get more efficient as they load up with contaminants, and the air filter can flow more than the engine needs anyway - see this post. If you really want to know exactly when to change your engine air filter, you can install a restriction gauge to determine when the filter's restricting flow too much.

• Fluids

• Engine Oil - Mobil 1 Fully Synthetic (If I can find the high mileage synthetic, I get it) 5W-30

• Coolant - Prestone mixed 50-50

ATF - N/A

MTF - Gear Oil, Lucas (can't remember the weight)

Brake Fluid - Prestone DOT3

Power Steering Fluid - Not sure, will be replacing this summer.

Front Diff - 75W-90

Rear Diff - Same as Front

Transfer Case - Same as Trans

Filters

Oil Filter - Fram, sometimes a K&N if I need to go a little over 5k

Air Filter - STP

In-Cabin Air Filter - Factory or aftermarket (haven't replaced)

Fuel Filter - Can't remember the brand, got it from O'Reilly

ATF Filter - None

Fluids

• Engine Oil - 4,500-5,500 miles, 4500 on Fram filters, 5500 on K&N filters

Coolant - Every 36 months or as needed

ATF -

MTF - Just changed, going to do after 28k

Brake Fluid - Whenever it runs low (I have a SLOW leak somewhere that hasn't been pinpointed)

Power Steering Fluid - Never, waiting until summer.

Front Diff - 40k

Rear Diff - 40k, would do sooner than fron diff if $$ is an issue.

Transfer Case - Every 40k

Filters

Oil Filter - Whenever oil changes are done

Air Filter - Changed original one when engine was running too rich, will replace after 12k or whenever needed before.

In-Cabin Air Filter - Never, haven't bothered to look.

Fuel Filter - Changed already, probably won't worry about it for a long while (75-100k)

ATF Filter - N/A

Change intervals

Have you ensured that Lucas stuff is GL-4 only? You have a WD21 4WD, correct? Have you overfilled the trans accordingly?

Fram oil filters are alright, though I'd stick with the ToughGuard (or Ultra, formerly known as XtendedGuard) filters which have a silicone anti-drainback valve versus the ExtraGuard's nitrile. Nitrile can become hard and brittle over time, especially during winter with more extreme heating and cooling cycles. You should be able to go 5.5k with either filter, and up to 7.5k miles safely using M1 and either filter so long as there are no mechanical issues.

Everything else looks good. Use a synthetic ATF that claims to meet Dexron III spec for the power steering.

Edited by Towncivilian

TC, yeah thankfully I made sure to use GL4! Pure luck..

I havent overfilled yet because I wasnt aware until after fluids were changed. I dont drive enough while at school to worry, but in March when I replace the console to an R50 console, I plan on filling it up from the top.