Front Axles

rgallant

Hi all,

Finally lost a CV boot, as the labour to replace the boot works out the boot works out about the cost of an axle I am going to replace my axles.

Are there any "bad" brands out there, stuff that has fails early etc. Also any beefier brands or brands with better boots.

Thanks.

Just do it yourself, it's not hard. Or do what I did which is get a new axle and CV boot, since the new boot costs like $8. Put the new axle on and then replace the boot on the old axle so you have a spare!

Are you running a lift or stock?

If your boot hasnt been torn for long and you have a lift, just buy new boots from Rockford Constant Velocity (www.rockfordcv.com).

I bought a replacement CV axle from Advanced Auto and it lasted about a week, and i didnt even have the hub locked :lol: I have a 2" AC lift.

It is not to difficult to replace the boot, and it'll save you $$$ from buying a new CV shaft.

No real lift to speak of OME MD springs front and rear. I do not have the time swap the axles so I am getting them done. My mechanic figures it is about the same cost either way, but these have 230000k on them so I figured replace them and keep the old ones for spares.

Phantom what brand was that axle that broke ?

oem are better for the simple fact that the ball valley are not grinded like the remanufactured ones...( they usually remove a few thousands of a inch in order to be able to put them back by hand). This is why the oem are more stiff and will allow less play.

I do not have any bad brands, but i would say if you can have two in your hands, take the one where the joint is stiff and difficult to move vs the one that is very easily moved.

Does anyone make an upgraded or HD CV for us?

Thought I saw something like that in a build thread but can't seem to find it.

You could get the parts or have one built but serious cost. In my case it is just age, I go for long trips off road, 2 to 3 days in summer 8 hours in the winter but it is mostly deactivated logging roads so nothing too terrible. Rock crawling or mudding I would consider it.

At any rate went with new, no reman.

I think this is a good thread, don't remember seeing this topic (and I've lurked here for years now).

I've had a GSP CV Axle (from Advance Auto for about $50 with online discount code) in for quite some time now. I drive "spirited" and wheel quite hard on occassion. I've yet to have a problem (probably just jinxed myself).

Anyway, here is a side-by-side pic:

2011-05-07_13-35-09_910.jpg

The new one (on the left of course) actually seemed pretty beefy.

I'd like to know other brands (new) that have worked well for people.

Is it just me or did they not put much grease in those things at all?

Didn't look like it. When I bought my (aftermarket) boot kit to re-do one of my CVs it came with less than half the amount of grease specified by the FSM. I had to use other grease. Maybe if you don't use enough grease they die sooner and you have to buy more...

Hi everyone! just joined looking to try some repairs/maintenance myself on my '01. Went and looked at the GSP brand from Advance, looked pretty solid as mentioned. Is there a difference between AWd and 4X4 axles? The counter guy kept saying these were AWD, not sure what the difference is, if any. Would like to try them for the online price and earlier endorsement, does anyone have a link on how to change these out? Was wondering if there are some other maintenance items I might as well do while in there.

Edited by xplitive

Hi everyone! just joined looking to try some repairs/maintenance myself on my '01. Went and looked at the GSP brand from Advance, looked pretty solid as mentioned. Is there a difference between AWd and 4X4 axles? The counter guy kept saying these were AWD, not sure what the difference is, if any. Would like to try them for the online price and earlier endorsement, does anyone have a link on how to change these out? Was wondering if there are some other maintenance items I might as well do while in there.

Search in the Garage/How To area of the forum...I've seen one there before.

Dont by the GSP one if you have a lift, ill pretty much gurantee that the boot will tear :lol: There is no difference between the AWD and 4x4 axle. What you need to do to change it out is jake it up, use jack stands please!...Then take the wheel off, if you have auto hubs you need to take the dust cap off, then take off the snap ring. The snap ring is not that hard to take out, but difficult to see. After that, unbolt the lower A-arm, 1 bolt in front and 2 in back. Carefully lower the A-arm down as not to ruin the balljoint. I set mine on blocks of wood so that its just not hanging there. Unbolt the 6 bolts that connect the CV shaft to the front diff, they are grouped in pairs. Then bang the hell out of it with a hammer. If youve never taken a CV out before, its going to be rusted/stuck on pretty good even with all bolts removed. PB bolt blaster works well for this. Make sure to hold onto the shaft when banging on it with a hammer. The shaft should then fall down, then just slide it out of the hub, pushing towards the passanger side. Then install new shaft opposite of removal. Torque everything to spec.

Hope this helps.

thanks guys - just looked through the garage section, didn't realize it was there and sure enough has majority what I think I'll be doing.

Rick, how long have you had the GSP's in there? I guess your experience and phantoms are quite different. I was thinking about OME coils and new struts/shocks at about the same time because everything looks very original under there. maybe should save the $ for a newer vehicle...

Also - phantom, are you sure you had the GSP's? the box is blue but I couldn't find "made in ??" anywhere on it. Advance does have another line which the counter guy was telling me I needed (the 4x4 ones). they are about $20 cheaper than the GSP's. They didn't have any in stock else I would've checked the box and manufacture location.

Edited by xplitive

Have the ball joints looked at, if they are iffy or worn replace them at the same time. The sit right under the axle so if you got the axle out and they are shot it is simple to do them. You need to pull the axle to do them anyway.

• 3 weeks later...

Hello all,

Just an update on the axles, I replaced mine with A1-Cardones, new not on re-manufactured. Went out this weekend and did about 400 miles off road/plus about 100 on road to get to the start point. Off road was forest service roads, in everything from good to bad condition.

Road conditions were heavy dust, rock fields, cross ditches, hard pack, overgrown with brush and WAY too much wash board.

Temperatures ranged from 20 deg Celsius to 45 deg Celsius.

No issues with the axles or boots.

One issue came up on install the one axle was a little stiff, but once on the pathfinder is working fine.

I will update again in about a month.