supercharger?

onefast87

i did some searching but didn't find any write ups.

im wondering if anyone has the done xterra supercharger on a vg30.

if anyone has done this swap wich ECU are you using?

a parts list would be nice. I figure since alot of z31 guys turbo the NA motors, it shouldn't be a big problem to boost the pathfinder engine a bit.

i understand the vg33 would make more power, but there are plenty of powerful vg30e's. I don't really want to spend too much on my truck, thats what i have my z31 for.

from what i can tell the parts will bolt up to the vg30 no problem, i would like to know what wich ecu i could use. any chance a xterra ecu would plug into the pathfinder harness? i would also like to know if i can retain my AC with the supercharger, and can the stock fuel pump keep up with with what ever sized injectors came on the xterra/frontier?

I'm gonna go out on a limb here and say,

i did some searching but didn't find any write ups.

im wondering if anyone has the done xterra supercharger on a vg30.

if anyone has done this swap wich ECU are you using?

a parts list would be nice. I figure since alot of z31 guys turbo the NA motors, it shouldn't be a big problem to boost the pathfinder engine a bit.

And,

I don't really want to spend too much on my truck

don't really fit well in the same conversation. :new576::whistle:

If it does end up being cheap for ya, break it down for others on here. Could be really useful to disprove people like me.

Best of luck. :aok:

(not to be taken like an asshat comment)

• Like 1

Go find a wrecked supercharged Xterra or Frontier. Take the engine, transmission (if yours is auto, if manual leave it), and the entire wiring harness and ECU. Put it all in your Pathfinder, a smaller supercharger pulley, and be happy with it.

• Like 1

i don't have the time or money to pull an engine.I only have about 1500$ to play with.I was more or less looking for a weekend type install, buy supercharger, install it, swap computers, drive.

i have no doubt the vg30E motor can take low boost, this is why i wanted to try it.

If i ever decide to try the swap ill make sure to post my findings.

Lets just cut to the nitty gritty here. There is no bolt-on and go, supercharger "kit". There have been several attempts by people, even one trying to market it(bad business failed). Because it is custom, its very hard to put a flat price on this mod. I do know that the Xterra/Frontier ECU will not just plug right in. There are some companies that do a computer upgrade that is a plug and play. They will even tune it for you depending upon what modifications you have. Now, Im not sayin it lcant be done(the supercharger), but it may not be as cheap as you are hoping for.

Oh, and I like the idea of getting the motor, trans, wiring harness, ecu, and whatever else you need out of a doner vehile and drop it in. This is what I would like to do someday if needed.

If you have an auto transmission, it will not hold up to the power of a supercharged engine. They fail as it is, Nissan beefed up the transmissions for the Xterras and Frontiers to handle the power.

You'll also either need to cut a hole in your hood or install a 2-3" body lift to clear the supercharger. The internals of the engine are strong enough to handle about 400HP conservatively, it's a bad tune and detonation that blows them apart in a hurry.

i don't have the time or money to pull an engine.I only have about 1500$ to play with.I was more or less looking for a weekend type install, buy supercharger, install it, swap computers, drive.

i have no doubt the vg30E motor can take low boost, this is why i wanted to try it.

If i ever decide to try the swap ill make sure to post my findings.

Reality check

If you don't have the time then dont do the project. You are looking at a huge investment in time or money. There are no shortcuts or kits. The easiest thing to do is to do the swap from a donor vehicle. You do not have a weekend project you have a get it going in a couple days, tune it in for 6 months project.

Why not a turbo? Cheaper, easier install and more power. STS turbo systems makes a universal kit that places the turbo where the muffler sits. Installed one on a 2000 z28 camaro. Night and day performance difference.

you guys misunderstand me,when i say i have no time i mean that i don't have weeks to work on a project.

i assumed i could just buy the supercharger and the necessary parts/gaskets.

i met a person online who said everything bolted up like stock, and all he did was use a pressure compensated fuel regulator and retarded the timing, no ecu change.

i would love to turbo my truck also, i have all the parts to do so, only the exhaust manifolds are a problem.

this was wishful thinking. i was hoping there would be a cheap way to boost the performance, like you can on a z31.

for $1500, why not just give your truck a decent exhaust

that will make somewhat of a difference in driveability

there is no cheap way too boost a pathfinder, you will see it if you try

you guys misunderstand me,when i say i have no time i mean that i don't have weeks to work on a project.

i assumed i could just buy the supercharger and the necessary parts/gaskets.

i met a person online who said everything bolted up like stock, and all he did was use a pressure compensated fuel regulator and retarded the timing, no ecu change.

i would love to turbo my truck also, i have all the parts to do so, only the exhaust manifolds are a problem.

this was wishful thinking. i was hoping there would be a cheap way to boost the performance, like you can on a z31.

I think I know who you're talking about, if it's the one with the sideways mounted throttle body on the supercharger inlet... he blew it up not long after.

Z31s come factory boosted. I know you know that and I also know you know that they really aren't "easy" to make power with. Yeah, you can do an NA2T and make 250WHP running 10PSI maxing out the turbo, fuel, and ECU systems... kind of a gamble if it's going to be reliable or not.

Do you really want to do a half-assed boost job and end up paying for it down the road?

There are threads on here about people boosting their Pathfinders. 2milehi is the most recent, along with shift250 who put a VG30DETT in his. However neither were that cheap and they're doing it right.

If you do throw the stuff on, at least get a Nistune board or Megasquirt to run the thing. They can adjust the AFRs and pull timing instantly if they pick up any detonation. Can't do that with a stock computer.

Edited by Kingman

I appreciate the comments, im gonna start compiling information for my turbo build. Id like to know what size injectors the factory pathy has, and if they are high/low impedance.

also can i use nistune on a pathfinder? i didn't see it on there site.

im gonna look into using a z31 turbo ecu/injectors with wiring harness. would be cheap and its reliable, plus i have all this laying around.

minus the ecu a turbo kit would be easy to built for less them a 1k, just need to know what, were, who, how and pull up craiglist and look for a good used turbo, ebay piping kit a bar and plate IC, bov, wg, fab time, do not let people discourage you and what you wanna do you can turbo either engine, vg30e block has a high nickle content which means it strong as hell, the vg33 only makes better power due to intake and head being designed differently, i say throw some forged rods get the heads ported , get the intake extrude honed, high volume oil pump, head studs, knife edge the crankshaft, deburr the whole block of all casing flaws, gt35 turbo, tune the @!*% out of it too 20lbs of boost :whistle:

• 4 years later...

Whatever happen to this project did you go turbo or supercharger?

What all did it take (parts and cost) to get it done?

I too am considering supercharging my VG30.

My wanting to supercharge has nothing to do with cost but belief and desire.

I get why everyone wants to do a swap or turbo but it is my opinion (for a lack of a better expression) a swap is lazy, boring, lacks creativity, and not fun, but that's jus me.

Now swapping for something bigger, badder, or more unique that could be creative and fun, but VG30 to VG33 is more of a lateral move to me.

Yes turbos can be easy and have no parasitic loss but let's be real we're talking bout an SUV not a track car.

Maybe if i needed a higher top speed and needed to maintain it i could see doing a turbo but 90 down the freeway is fast enough for me and at the end of the day there's two things my truck should be able to do, pull/haul stuff and get up that GD hill lol.

Now before anyone decides to try and flame me, my words are not intended to insight an argument.

We are adults, human-beings, and comrades here to share a common love.

As an adult I'm always open to input, a share of knowledge, conversation, and constructive criticism from my fellow Pathy brother and sisters.

As i stated earlier i too would like to supercharge and trying to compile information of whats needed (i.e. gaskets, injectors, MAF, tune, port/polish, body mounts).

So lets talk

Peace Love & Car grease :fireworx:

• Like 1