98 Pathfinder woes...

My wife got the new 4runnner and I got her old pathfinder. This truck is a CHAMP and i'm really liking it over the 4runner now LOL The only problem is the shocks and struts are completely blown!!! The Pathfinder is at 127,000 miles. I found this site last night and I just want to get my "ducks in a row" before I pull the trigger....

1. I'm going to get AC 2" coils (for a 2" lift), OEM Strut mounts and bearings, KYBGR-2 Struts, and Rancho RS5000 shocks

*QUESTION- will I need anything else for the front... like an extension for the steering link???

2. I read around on the 4 pages but I have yet to read about how to build my rear...

*QUESTION- what are you all running for the rear???

Thanks for your time. I'm coming from the desert off road scene in Vegas, but am now doing to AK thing (got stationed here in 2008 for the Army) so it's time for this build. Once I get my answers I can order this stuff right away and I'll take pictures of the build for future references. Thanks again!

Welcome!

You found the best site for wanting to find out anything and everything about your pathfinder.

check out this link to how i did my lift...hope it helps :)

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=29594

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

I am in the process of getting my lift components and I found a tone of information here: http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=7192.

One thing that people seem to prefer is using the OME (very similar to OEM but actually meaning Old Man Emu) suspension. I ended up buying the parts from http://ruggedrocksoffroad.com/. The guy that runs the site is a regular on the forum and was extremely helpful. Not to mention the 5% discount for being a member on the forum.

He also has the coils for the back of the car so you can get everything in one place.

I know that some of the posts are long but after 25 minutes of reading you will have a much better sense of what you want to do.

1. I'm going to get AC 2" coils (for a 2" lift), OEM Strut mounts and bearings, KYBGR-2 Struts, and Rancho RS5000 shocks

*QUESTION- will I need anything else for the front... like an extension for the steering link???

I have the exact set up that you are referring to. You may want to look into some camber bolts. You will want to order two sets (4 total) to help reduce the "bull dog" look. They can be found on the AC web site and will more than likely be recommended by the "other people purchased these" link. Plus, they are easy to install! If you are going to go with a larger tire you will need to do a little trimming of the inner wheel well to prevent rubbing while turning the wheel full lock while in reverse. :togo:

2. I read around on the 4 pages but I have yet to read about how to build my rear...

*QUESTION- what are you all running for the rear???

By the "rear" are you talking about gearing? If so, mine is completely stock. If you are referring to the suspension, all I am running is the 2" AC coils and the Rancho RS5000 shocks. I did remove my sway bar in the rear to give it more flex but, this is not my daily driver. The lift (plus the sway bar removal) did make my truck feel "top heavy". It is only a problem when I try to drive the Pathy like my Miata. :lol:

Oh, and welcome to our community! Please make sure to take plenty of before and after pics to share with us. :friday:

Edited by devonianwalk

The AC lift will do you well... as mentioned the only other thing you may want to add to your shopping list is camber bolts (Although, they are not always needed - I didn't purchase any for my lift). YOu wont need anything for your steering with the AC lift.

As for the rear end, suspension: AC has you covered. Otherwise: I run stock.

JUST ORDERED THE AC 2" LIFT AND WARN HUBS!!!!!!! The shipping was $142 PARCEL SNAIL MAIL!!! OUCH!!! Great customer service at 4x4parts.com already though!

I'd like to see a pic of the box your springs come in when they get to Alaska, mine was so mangled it looked like a big crumpled paper bag, and that's just from Florida to Colorado. :rolleyes:

I'd like to see a pic of the box your springs come in when they get to Alaska, mine was so mangled it looked like a big crumpled paper bag, and that's just from Florida to Colorado. :rolleyes:

Shoot. Mine looked like a freight train ran over it with all sixty cars (and I'm just 5 hours drive from FLA).

• 3 weeks later...

Shoot. Mine looked like a freight train ran over it with all sixty cars (and I'm just 5 hours drive from FLA).

WOO!!!! It F-I-N-A-L-L-Y ARRIVED TODAY (22 days after ordering)!!!! They are in 3 boxes and one SERIOUSLY looks mangled like a crumpled paper bag LOL(I'm thinking it's the spring box). I'll take lots of pics and post them later. I'm going to call the auto shop place on base tomorrow in hopes to rent out a bay within the next couple days.

To be clear (in case I'm forgetting something, hopefully someone will chime in): I got the AC 2" lift coils, KYG struts, bilstin shocks, OEM strut mounts, OEM spacers and OEM... (can't remember right now, but I got 6 items TOTAL from Nissan for about $220), Warn hubs, and camber bolts.

Lastly, I'm going to order new wheels and tires- are 32 x 12.5's too big??? Anyone have any input on tires that are good for summer AND SNOWY winters???

Thanks!

Lastly, I'm going to order new wheels and tires- are 32 x 12.5's too big??? Anyone have any input on tires that are good for summer AND SNOWY winters???

Thanks!

32's will be ok if you want to do some trimming, but 12.5 i think is too wide...

Ive got 245/75/16 Goodyear Duratracs and I love them...it lookes like i could fit a bigger tire but when fully locked, i barely clear inner fender. I rub the front bumper in reverse, left and right.

You might want to do some fitment tests before ordering tires, because all manufactures sizes vary slightly...

Best of luck! :aok:

Oh and you'll have somewhat of a limited selection of tread patterns if you go with 32's...thats another reason i went with 31's

Edited by Phantom01Pathfinder

After you lift, 32x11.50R15's will fit on 15x8 wheels (3.75" to 4" backspacing). You can also fit 265/75R16's on 16x8 wheels with up to +10mm offset. Wider tires (285/75R16) will require wheels with less offset, or you will need wheel spacers. In all cases, it is likely that you will need to trim, remove, or reshape (with a heatgun) parts of the front plastic fender liner.

Edited by XPLORx4

Well, guys... I put my kit on yesterday!!! It WAS REALLY easy! I did it by myself but a couple of times needed to ask guys who were around for an extra set of hands. I wanted to take pictures of the install but my hands were so dirty immediately after I started I couldn't even answer my phone- let alone take pictures. I did have a couple hang ups with the install which I'll go over in my "build thread". I took LOTS of before and after pics too. I'm going to get wheel spacers now so that I can throw tires on to my stock wheels this afternoon. I decided to go with 31x10.5x15 due to it being a good balance between economical mpg and off road use (plus NOT ONE place in town has 32s LOL). Also, I met a dude yesterday with a Jeep and he has a "detachable" sway bar that he disconects before off roading and reconnects it easy afterwards before he hits the road home.... anyone know of these? Also, will putting a "limit strap" on my arms stop the dropping snap I hear when I go over speed bumps?

Edited by mattyrides07

You shouldn't need wheel spacers to fit those 31's on your stock wheels. They should fit just fine.

The Pathfinder doesn't lend itself to having an easy swaybar disconnect method. The rear swaybar seems to have little effect for on-road performance and can simply be removed. The front swaybar, if disconnected, will bang around on the axles when the front suspension articulates. If you don't mind having a bit more body sway while on-road, you can go ahead and remove the front swaybar too. I've been running swaybarless on my Pathfinder for 6 years.

You shouldn't need wheel spacers to fit those 31's on your stock wheels. They should fit just fine.

The Pathfinder doesn't lend itself to having an easy swaybar disconnect method. The rear swaybar seems to have little effect for on-road performance and can simply be removed. The front swaybar, if disconnected, will bang around on the axles when the front suspension articulates. If you don't mind having a bit more body sway while on-road, you can go ahead and remove the front swaybar too. I've been running swaybarless on my Pathfinder for 6 years.

I got my new tires on yesterday and got it aligned today. I TOTALLY needed the wheel spacers! After we backed the truck out of the bay I looked at it and the tire was rubbing on the lower strut mount spring plate. I decided to try the spacers and as we pulled it back in we HEARD it rubbing. We put the 1.5" spacers in and WALL-LA! No more rubbing issues... yet. After the camber alignment and front end was done I need to double check to make sure it's still not rubbing, but I think I'm all set.

I was looking at the Jeep's front sway bar QR system and I TOTALLY think one can be made for our Pathfinders. It will require some simple welds to mount the bracketing systems... anyway, I'm going to start working on this ASAP so I can get them on the market for resale LOL "stay tuned"

• 2 weeks later...

Good call getting the Bilsteins. The Rancho 5000s aren't applicable to R50s...they are just misrepresented that they are on the AC site. Mangled boxes are fairly common with AC....the good customer service you got is not.

Good call getting the Bilsteins. The Rancho 5000s aren't applicable to R50s...they are just misrepresented that they are on the AC site.

I've got the Rancho 5000's and love them. What's not applicable about them? :shrug:

396754022.jpg

I've got the Rancho 5000's and love them. What's not applicable about them? :shrug:

396754022.jpg

Well...you can get em on there...but Rancho will tell ya they don't make one for the R50. Link to their catalog below...check out page 54 or so for Nissans. The ones AC sells....you can get them on there...but one of the bolts...believe it is the lower...is of somewhat smaller diameter than the piece on the shock...so unless you rig up some sort of shim or something...they'll be a little play in there. Again...you can get em on....and not saying you'll have a problem....but Rancho will tell ya they don't make a shock for the vehicle...and personally I wouldn't put them on. I informed AC and they said they know better than the shock manufacturer themselves. FWIW that's pretty blatant and intentional misrepresentation...not trying to make it more than what it is...but that is...what it is...just saying.

http://www.gorancho.com/catalog.php

Edited by piste