3.0 V6 removal

tsin

Hi i want to remove engine (vg30) from my wd21 (1991) pathfinder. Is it possible without trasmission (manual), front axle or car body moving?? we have got the engine on the winch, all trasmission srews are unsrewed.. and there is only 4centimetres hole between engine and trasmission.. i dont believe that is possible to "disconnect" it from transmission because oil pan collide with axle if we want to pull the engine in front..

:scratchhead:

thank you very much for your opinion or some expirience with that... and sorry for my english :P

Edited by tsin

from when i removed mine. i had to move the transmision back as far as i could go. undo drive shafts and transmision support and push it back as far as it will go

The FSM says to remove the transmission. I think most people don't do this, but it gives you an idea that removing the engine isn't completely trivial. There are a bunch of options... if you try moving the transmission back, then yeah, you're going to need to disconnect it from the transmission mount. I didn't move my transmission or front diff but I removed the front suspension crossmember... this involved dropping the t-bars. Not sure if I would do it that way if I did it again (though now nothing is rusted on, so maybe).

The FSM says to remove the transmission. I think most people don't do this, but it gives you an idea that removing the engine isn't completely trivial. There are a bunch of options... if you try moving the transmission back, then yeah, you're going to need to disconnect it from the transmission mount. I didn't move my transmission or front diff but I removed the front suspension crossmember... this involved dropping the t-bars. Not sure if I would do it that way if I did it again (though now nothing is rusted on, so maybe).

I just started the to pull the engine out of my 91. The FSM and Haynes both say to leave the trans attached and I think I know why...the 5th bolt on the top of the tranny is ridiculous!

Anyway the plan is to drop the front diff tomorrow evening after work. It looks like that will give plenty of room to get at the exhaust bolts on the drivers side, and let the oil pan clear (I hope).

I have a low mileage replacement from a wrecked 95 waiting to go in. The manual says to use a sealant between the engine and the tranny during the install any suggestions on what to use?

Thanks!

Cmon you gotta tell us how you did it or post a pic or something! :rant2:

imag0155y.jpg

imag0154h.jpg

imag0156zv.jpg

unscrewed transmission

imag0158ha.jpg

unscrewed cardan shaft

imag0160fp.jpg

i think that we have no chance to insert the engine back to the car with this way..

Well you don"t mess around and got it out alright!

Are you going to reinstall/raise up the tranny and drive shaft, and then lower the the diff so you can reinstall the engine?

I just finished loosening the front diff, and exhaust on mine and hope to raise the engine up and drop the diff tomorrow.

Did you have any problems seperating the engine from the transmission? If so, how did you seperate them?

One more thing...how do you get your dog to stay stiil and hold all that stuff up (last pic) :laugh:

Are you going to reinstall/raise up the tranny and drive shaft, and then lower the the diff so you can reinstall the engine?

i made general repair of engine heads, install new shaft seals, head gaskets, timing belt, clutch etc.. so i hope next week i can try to put the engine back in the car. iam plannig to drop front diff down and insert the engine with oil pan installed, hope its possible

Did you have any problems seperating the engine from the transmission? If so, how did you seperate them?

no.. i used two big screw driver to seperate them, not a big deal i think

Wow, it's so clean in your bell housing! Mine was totally coated in black goo. I think my trans is leaking in there.

it was little dirty on the place where is starter and flywheel (pic after clean)

Even with the engine up about 10cm, it seems like the torsion bars (at least one side)need to be removed to lower the diff and slide it backward.

It doesn't mention this in the FSM or Haynes.

Even with the engine up about 10cm, it seems like the torsion bars (at least one side)need to be removed to lower the diff and slide it backward.

It doesn't mention this in the FSM or Haynes.

Torsion bars don't need to come off to remove the front diff. I just did this a month ago. Follow the oil pan removal procedure at the front of the EM section. Most of it is about removing the front diff. It does take a bit of awkward wiggling to get it out once you have everything unattached. Way easier to remove then to put back in though :)

Edited by sewebster

today removed front diff for a more place when i want to reinstall the engine..

but have another problem-> how to change inner (diff side) cv joint boot kit?????

Edited by tsin

today removed front diff for a more place when i want to reinstall the engine..

but have another problem-> how to change inner (diff side) cv joint boot kit?????

I think you need to take the plug out of the (diff side) end, and seperate the assembly inside to slide the boot off/on. Not sure if you need a press to seperate them though.

I didn't do this on mine, I replaced the whole drive axle with boots since both ends were shot and time was a factor.

I spy new transmission?

no, only general repair of engine.. transmission- maybe later? :D

I think you need to take the plug out of the (diff side) end, and seperate the assembly inside to slide the boot off/on. Not sure if you need a press to seperate them though.

I didn't do this on mine, I replaced the whole drive axle with boots since both ends were shot and time was a factor.

anyone who did it in real? iam so disgusted from these inner boots :(

anyone who did it in real? iam so disgusted from these inner boots :(

Maybe you will have a better chance of getting a solid answer by starting a new topic about inner cv boots? It might catch the attention of an inner cv boot expert.

today we instal the engine in, with no problem..

we opened cv joints by plug side- more power needed (thx OlBlue), but my carparts store sell me dimensionally wrong boots.. i think there is diameter 27 and 87mm, and 103mm long..

in the Czech Republic is difficult to buy right dimension boots- is there someone who knows some other cars with dimensionally same cv joints boots??