Finally got a rear D44

After my father and I spent 4 hours of dicking around with 8 rusted, crap covered bolts, pulling the ebrake cables out, and tearing apart the driveshaft I am the proud owner of a 93 Rodeo D44

05062011270.jpg

05062011269.jpg

05062011268.jpg

Only thing is it has 2 broken wheel studs

05062011271.jpg

Photos of the gears, pretty clean not a chipped tooth that I could spot.

06062011276.jpg

06062011275.jpg

06062011274.jpg

06062011273.jpg

06062011272.jpg

06062011278.jpg

Maybe someone could shed some light on what the hell that electrical connection is going into the top of the pumpkin and what the flywheel looking thing is that the ring is attached to...?

A vehicle speed sensor perhaps? I know that for F-150's they are located on the top of the pumpkin.. but I realize this is an Isuzu.

Someone said it has something to do with the ABS...

Here's a quote from a member on another board, sounds like the right thing to me.

it's called an "ABS tone ring", which does this "The notched ring runs by a magnet...sending a "tone" through the wires to the ABS computer so it can tell when the wheels lock up. "

And Dowser- I asked your questions to a couple other guys I know and I've been told it's either 4:10 or 4:30, open diff. the WMS from what I can find is 59".

another thread with a foot in it! lmao!

anyway. rodeo's have dana's in them? i knew not of this... and stock. :thumbsdown:

Haha, and nice feet at that :P

Yeah I didn't know either till about 3 months ago, it's nice the parts are cheaper than the pathy rear end and there's a million more option of "buildability" with them too!

So I've got to ask....u using this for a front axle to complete a SAS? If not and just a rear axle swap BC I seriously doubt a d44 is stronger than the h233b differential

he's going to have a problem steering if he's using this for a SAS!

So I've got to ask....u using this for a front axle to complete a SAS? If not and just a rear axle swap BC I seriously doubt a d44 is stronger than the h233b differential

no, a Dana 44 is not as strong as a H233b.

Yeah, I have a D44 for my front axle, and this one for my rear, and no it may no be stronger than the H233B but if you look around there are millions of options in parts and what not for a D44 vs. the nissan rear end and parts are also way cheaper for the dana.

no, a Dana 44 is not as strong as a H233b.

that's what I thought but just wanted to verify

Yeah, I have a D44 for my front axle, and this one for my rear, and no it may no be stronger than the H233B but if you look around there are millions of options in parts and what not for a D44 vs. the nissan rear end and parts are also way cheaper for the dana.

You could get chromolly shafts for the H233B and prob run 37's and almost never have to worry about breaking it...I've seen countless D44 shafts snapped on 33's and 35s

hopefully all goes well with Steve at rugged rocks offroad and he gets his diamond front axle done with chromolly's and that'll probably be the route I go...if not i'll probably run a D44 in the front of mine but keep my H233B in the rear

guess which one is the D44 and which is the H233B?

h233_dana_side.jpg

that's what I thought but just wanted to verify

You could get chromolly shafts for the H233B and prob run 37's and almost never have to worry about breaking it...I've seen countless D44 shafts snapped on 33's and 35s

hopefully all goes well with Steve at rugged rocks offroad and he gets his diamond front axle done with chromolly's and that'll probably be the route I go...if not i'll probably run a D44 in the front of mine but keep my H233B in the rear

guess which one is the D44 and which is the H233B?

h233_dana_side.jpg

Left: D44, Right:H233B.

Have you priced gears and a locker for the h233b? The Nissan stuff ain't cheap!

Haha, and nice feet at that :P

Yeah I didn't know either till about 3 months ago, it's nice the parts are cheaper than the pathy rear end and there's a million more option of "buildability" with them too!

I take it the lug pattern is the same as the pathfinder wheels too?

James

What size is the front axle on a Cherokee or grand Cherokee? The pick a part is always full of those. Only other problem I see would be the spindle.

James

Never mind, I found it with google. D30, which I read in other post isn't strong enough to be worth the trouble.

James