ECU swap

ejin4499

I read a while back about swaping out the stock ecu in a pathfinder for the ecu from an infiniti m30. I did a little looking around and have found some spoty information. Thought I throw out the idea and see if anyone knows any good resources.

I've so far found the z31 forum but most of the info on that is missing important pics or severly incomplete.

I have also found a post saying that the 94 pathfinder ecu and the m30 ecu are basicaly the same I was wondering if anyone knew anything about that.

Thanks for the info.

all you really need is

the correct M30 pinout, witch is on z1performance.com (careful there is a wrong pinout there too) it can also be found in an M30 FSM (please share if you dowload one)

the correct pathy pinout. (94FSM link should be pinned somewhere)

the M30 MAF

M30 o2 sensor

automatic tps

94 pathy and m30 ecu the same? no, very different fuel maps.

If they were the same z guys would be doing pathy swaps too instead of m30 swaps.

if they were the same pathy's would drive allot better...

all you really need is

the correct M30 pinout, witch is on z1performance.com (careful there is a wrong pinout there too) it can also be found in an M30 FSM (please share if you dowload one)

the correct pathy pinout. (94FSM link should be pinned somewhere)

the M30 MAF

M30 o2 sensor

automatic tps

94 pathy and m30 ecu the same? no, very different fuel maps.

If they were the same z guys would be doing pathy swaps too instead of m30 swaps.

if they were the same pathy's would drive allot better...

If I find a downloadable FSM how would I upload the manual to the forum?

Found a scanned in manual its 85 MB

Here the link

http://www.f31club.com/manual/

Is there anywhere you would recomend to find more info on what exactly the m30 is capable of. I know you recomended it over a standalone in another post I was just wondering where you found your info.

Edited by ejin4499

I don't have all links here with me. But read some of the limted success stories out there. I don't have an all inclusive answer and I say limited stories becuase most ppl seem to drop off after they get it running and forget to post results down the road.

So if your up to it, you could pioneer a good writeup for us pathy guys.

I plan to swap the entire m30 mpfi into my TBI pathy and depending on how much I like it my 94 might get an m30 ecu as well.

Are the m30 maps really "just better?" Or are there some tradeoffs made... like "sportier" performance but worse towing capability (or something, I'm just guessing here)...

You know I really don't know. I've seen a bunch of people talking about how awsome it is, so I wanted to check it out for myself. I do know you can put a nistune daughterboard in it and tune the ecu wich is pretty cool. That way you could just load in the map that made the most sense for what you were doing. Other than Nistune I'm still not sure what the big deal is. Thats why I'm looking.

M30 ECUs are far better than any previous Nissan ECU. Consult, adapt to changes rapidly, extremely, more capable of running the engine smoother, easier to install Nistune, etc.

Now, the Z32 ECU is the most powerful Nissan computer produced. People have those running blown V8 drag cars.

Regarding the TPS... my manual TPS has two parts, the idle switch, which is just on-off, but also the actual TPS which has a continuously varying signal as you open the throttle like 1-9V or something. How is the auto TPS different?

Edited by sewebster

This is the first I've heard of something like this, so excuse my ignorance. But from this my understanding is that if you have a '94 or '95 Pathy you would be able to swap in the M30 ECU, an auto TPS and the M30's O2 sensor? Or with the later WD21's, all you need is the ECU? Because if this would make for better performance, that would be awesome!

Edited by SRN

Various places on the web seem to indicate that nistune will now work with some pathfinder ECUs but they still don't list it on their website. Anyone on here figured that out? To me the appeal is more of a diagnostic nature than performance, but of course it wouldn't really be worth the money.

Regarding the TPS... my manual TPS has two parts, the idle switch, which is just on-off, but also the actual TPS which has a continuously varying signal as you open the throttle like 1-9V or something. How is the auto TPS different?

The Pathfinder manual transmission TPS is just used as an idle switch. The automatic TPS is a potentiometer or variable resistor to give the ECU exact information on where the throttle plate is, and then feeds the information to the TCU for shifting.

The Pathfinder manual transmission TPS is just used as an idle switch. The automatic TPS is a potentiometer or variable resistor to give the ECU exact information on where the throttle plate is, and then feeds the information to the TCU for shifting.

If we are using a manual transmission and don't have the tcu installed will that info still be usable by the m30 ecu? Or a more exact question would be what does the m30 ecu do with the info from the TPS?

Ok. I guess what I'm saying, is that I have a manual transmission (from the factory) and it has this pot on the TPS unit as well, and it's plugged in (in addition to the idle switch). But maybe my ECU just ignores the signal? The FSM says this (91 EF & EC 13):

"Throttle Sensor & Soft/Hard Idle Switch

The throttle sensor responds to the accelerator pedal movement. This sensor is a kind of potentiometer which transforms the throttle valve position into output voltage, and emits the voltage signal to the ECU. In addition, the sensor detects the opening and closing speed of the throttle valve and feeds the voltage signal to the ECU. Idle position of the throttle valve is determined by the ECU receiving the signal from the throttle sensor. This system is called "soft idle switch". This one controls engine operation such as fuel cut. On the other hand, "hard idle switch", which is built in the throttle sensor unit, is used not for engine control but for self-diagnosis."

There is a picture of the TPS unit. The hard idle switch connector is right on the unit itself, the throttle sensor connector is on a small wire bundle coming off the unit. On my manual truck I have both these connectors and both are plugged in.

Must be a new edition for the MPFI Pathfinders, I haven't studied the wiring diagrams on the newer ones. The older versions don't use the extra plug on the TPS unless they're automatics.

I'm used to Z31s and TBI Pathfinders. My Z31 MPFI Pathfinder TPS does absolutely nothing, as it is only an idle switch.

Unplug the extra connector and see what happens? :shrug:

90-92 M30 ecu

don't forget your titania 02 sensor and MAF.

nisstune daughter boards can go in just about anything but the thing with the M30 ECU is that you DON"T have to modify the board to do it.

Other Nissan ecu's have to be socketed or have other changes made.

the M30 is a "luxury sedan" so think smooth performance was the goal and everyone loves smoother application of power esp if its a little more power :)

headed over to sacramento this week to pick one up. Gonna try this out looks like fun. Anyone know which ecu was better 90 91 92 or convertable or not?

Keep us updated with what you do to get it installed.

another thing about the m30/z32 is that the ECU's are what's considered "fuzzy logic" and that's why they can run just about anything. they learn about the engine through the sensors and make it run the best accordingly.

The easiest way to fix an issue with a z32 or m30, is unplug the battery, let the ECU reset, plug it back in and go for a drive. the ECU relearns everything.

90-92 M30 ecu

don't forget your titania 02 sensor and MAF.

nisstune daughter boards can go in just about anything but the thing with the M30 ECU is that you DON"T have to modify the board to do it.

Other Nissan ecu's have to be socketed or have other changes made.

the M30 is a "luxury sedan" so think smooth performance was the goal and everyone loves smoother application of power esp if its a little more power :)

I wish y'all would have discussed this around 5 months ago, there was an M30 in the local pick a part. I have read what you said about installing the daughter board, so the M30 ecu has a socket already on the board? I grabbed a couple of extra pathfinder ecu's but they don't have the socket. So I need the O2 and MAF from the same vehicle too?

James

I remember reading somewhere that the 90-92 m30 had a few issues with the ECU's. Like it would randomly stall, or not start. I can't recall where I read that now but has anyone else heard this before? Also, These ECU's are getting very difficult to find up here in Canada. Usually wreckers here toss out anything 15 years old now. Making it substantially harder to ind stuff for me. I checked Ebay for the ECU's as well and I got 2 hits, each being about $95-100. There was some differences in the serial numbers obviously but I've been curious what the numbers refer to. These were the numbers.

A18-A09 K31 (1990 ECU)

vs.

A18-A08 K30 (1992 ECU)

Just thought I would put that out there.

• 1 month later...

Ok so after way to much time I finaly got ahold of a m30 ecu. Every time I hit picknpull someone else had already been there. The maf on this sucker is freeking huge. will post picks soon. Im thinking what I want to do is create an adapter from the stock wiring harness to the new ecu. That way if I ever need to I can easily switch back to a pathfinder ecu. I think all I would need to do for that is run the lines for the m30 maf back to the m30 ecu and then canabalize an old ecu for connecters and solder that critter together. maybe ..... I think .......... we'll see. :crossedwires:

Edited by ejin4499

• 1 month later...

Any updates with this? After a few long distance treks pushing to keep up with a supercharged Tacoma up mountain passes, it'd be nice to have a little smoother power delivery. If the M30/Z32 ECU swap could provide that, that would be great as long as it doesn't hurt my off-road performance.

If you aren't planning to do much other than changing the ECU then you won't see any noticeable difference in performance. However if you are adding bolt ons then you may be able to see a little benefit from that ECU.

Edited by Tungsten

If you aren't planning to do much other than changing the ECU than you won't see any difference in performance. However if you are adding bolt ons then you may be able to see a little benefit from that ECU.

According to other posts in this thread, the ECU, MAF, TPS and O2 swap from a M30 has the potential to smooth out your power delivery and improve performance some. This is what I'm looking for and am hoping that the OP might have further details about how his swap went.