Rear Main Seal poll ( weighing options)

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rear Main Seal Options

• Let her ride, and add stop leak and lucas
    • Replace the seal and take the hit
    • Trade/Sell get something different
    • other options (please make suggestion)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Just oil leak. If the seal goes entirely you lose all your oil. If that happens and a friend of yours is driving and doesn't pull over when the oil light comes on then you need to replace your crankshaft (or other things) :) Yes, speaking from experience.

edit: if you have a manual then theoretically oil could get on the clutch, which would be bad, but probably it would just drip down.

Edited by sewebster

general condition of the car is pretty good. no visible signs of rust. everything else is in great working order. just some minor trim repairs are needed like the strips that fill the gap between the body and fender flares, but other than that its just high mileage.

Ok as a ex ASE/ASA certified master tech i say take the hit if you ignore the problem it will only get worse ie saturate the friction plate and warp the flywheel due to clutch slipage, i say pull the tranny fix the rear main, and resuface flywheel and replace the clutch/TB/PB/ output shaft seal while your there, also check any softplugs while the tranny is out, also easier to replace any bad ex. manifold studs, i would do this repair for 600 just for the labor

Ok as a ex ASE/ASA certified master tech i say take the hit if you ignore the problem it will only get worse ie saturate the friction plate and warp the flywheel due to clutch slipage, i say pull the tranny fix the rear main, and resuface flywheel and replace the clutch/TB/PB/ output shaft seal while your there, also check any softplugs while the tranny is out, also easier to replace any bad ex. manifold studs, i would do this repair for 600 just for the labor

Its an automatic

• 1 month later...

I got a copy of my Pathfinder's service history from the local dealer, and it turns out that the rear main seal was replaced at 1720 miles! Why did my RMS go bad again?!? I don't know exactly when the leak started since I've only been driving and maintaining this Pathfinder since 109k and I'm currently at 126k. I also found a quote for $800 (parts & labor) to replace the RMS back in 2007. Why did the price suddenly jump to $1800?

Yeah, true. What exactly makes seals fail, anyway?

I think the rubber hardens and gets brittle? On my 93 Dodge Colt the RMS actually totally popped out and all the engine oil came out in a gush. Too bad my buddy driving the car didn't pull over when the oil light came on...

But it is a dodge colt? Weren't you happier without it :P

Yeah the rubber hardens. Some people also say that the crankshaft could have a worn spot in it but I've talked to several mechanics and engineers that say that this never happens/is very rare.

But it is a dodge colt? Weren't you happier without it :P

You'd think so, but I still have it! I replaced the crankshaft and now it won't die. I might let it go at the end of the month though when the insurance runs out... My in-laws are trying to give us a free 96 corolla, but it's in Ontario... I'm not sure we really need any more than the truck, but my wife doesn't drive standard yet, and the city gas mileage does leave something to be desired...

Fix it and be done. I think the quote was so high becasue,IIRC, the seal is in a housing, and you cant replace it seperately(Alldata quotes time as 16hrs). This means you have to pull the trans and the oil pan. You have a 3.5L correct? If it was a 3.3l, just removing the trans is all you have to do. Pulling the trans is the easy part. Its the oil pan thats is difficult.

Yeah. The service adviser thought I had a 3.3L so he quoted $560, but then he realized his mistake after I dropped off the PF and called back, told me it'd be $2000 (18.5 hrs of labor he quoted, IIRC) but could offer a 10% discount so it'd come out to be $1800. I think that's too steep for a small leak. If it gets worse then I'll have to replace it of course.

Edited by Towncivilian

If its leaking pretty good, like dripping more than 1 drop overnight, I would get it fixed. You will have to spend time and money checking and adding to your oil all time. Plus, looking at it from a different angle, its not really good for the enviroment. Plus, its just nice to have a vehicle that doesnt leak!

Remember, if you were to have it fixed at a Nissan dealer, you get a 1 year, 12,0000 mile warranty with the repair!

Oh, if you are still making payments, did you purchase a extended warranty at all? Most would cover this repair.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

I think a key thing here is to try to combine this sort of repair with any other conceivable jobs that require removing the transmission or oil pan. Do you need a new transmission? Oil pump? Check rod bearings? I'm basically making up random junk here, but the last thing you want to do is take the stuff apart twice.

The annoyance of paying $2k for an RMS is that you're basically just paying a ton for "easy" labour. There isn't anything particularly complicated about it, practically no parts costs etc.

• 1 month later...

I haven't spoken to any other shops yet... I should just take a weekday to go around asking some of the trans shops around here what they'd charge. It seems the leak is getting worse judging from the oil puddle after two days of sitting, and this is with Mobil 1 High Mileage 10W-40 in for close to 2000 miles now. Should I wait some more to see if the HM oil will help? I was planning on running this M1 oil for 5 to 6k (I know the VQ engines are hard on oil) and running the same oil again. I know a nonfunctional PCV valve could have caused an RMS leak, but to get to the PCV valve I'd need to remove the upper and lower intake manifolds. Why couldn't Nissan put it in a more convenient place? Although, it's not exactly a difficult job to replace it, and at nearly 130k miles who knows if the valve is still working...

Thoughts? Wait a while? Should I change the PCV valve either way?

Edited by Towncivilian

Yea, I doubt it would stop it. I was just hoping to slow it down, but it appears it isn't helping. I still really like this M1 HM oil though, it's the smoothest oil I've ever run... can't tell the engine is on at idle (with A/C off, of course). I'm sure it's doing its fair share of cleaning things out a bit, too.

It'd take probably two and a half hours to replace the PCV valve... since the top 3 gaskets are pretty new I could likely get by with replacing just the lower intake manifold gasket, or maybe just replace em all again since they're pretty cheap. But seriously Nissan, worst positioning ever.

Alright well, I'm gonna drop the PF off at AAMCO Friday morning most likely (gotta call tomorrow to confirm price and set up appointment). I'll provide them with printouts of the relevant sections from the FSM (removal/installation of oil pan & auto trans) and a gallon of Nissan OEM coolant with "FULL STRENGTH" Sharpied on (don't want them using all makes/all models Dexclone crap) on the passenger seat. I've only ran this M1 HM 10W-40/M1-110 EP filter combo for 1800 miles now, so I'll buy a $2.50 SuperTech ST7317 filter and spin it on before dropping it off, no use in wasting a still usable $10 filter. I'll run whatever oil/filter the shop throws in for 3,750 miles I guess. Anything else I should suggest or do?

Edited by Towncivilian

Well, per the FSM they gotta hoist the engine up (which involves disconnecting a bunch of other @!*%, and apparently draining the engine oil & coolant) so that's more labor right there. Their Alldata printout says 11.5 hours of labor (wtf, Nissan dealer said 18 I think?). The seal itself is like $40something according to the guy, I sure hope they use an OEM seal. I'll ask when dropping it off I guess.