Rear Main Seal poll ( weighing options)

36 members have voted

1. 1. Rear Main Seal Options

• Let her ride, and add stop leak and lucas
    • Replace the seal and take the hit
    • Trade/Sell get something different
    • other options (please make suggestion)

• Replies 76
  • Created
  • Last Reply

Top Posters In This Topic

Considering this isn't the first time your RMS is leaking maybe it would be good if they used an aftermarket seal, which, in my opinion would be just as good as oem.

Well, maybe, I don't really know... isn't a seal a seal, pretty much? If it leaks again at like what, 250k, I think that's okay and at that point the whole vehicle doesn't owe me anything anyway, wouldn't you think? Or am I wrong in my assumptions? I really don't know the entire service history of this vehicle even though it's a family car and was leased new. Maybe some oil changes were accidentally skipped and caused issues, potentially causing the leak to spring again (I know the VQ35DE is hard on oil). I dunno.

I think I'll definitely swap out the PCV valve in the coming weeks too, even though it's a PITA to get to.

Edited by Towncivilian

Very well. I shall do that, thanks for pointing that out.

So basically, I should inform them to use the coolant provided on the passenger seat, that portions of the FSM are on the seat if required, that this is the second time the RMS is leaking, and to examine the mating surfaces for damage?

So I called AAMCO and they said they shouldn't need to replace the coolant. I told them that this is the second RMS leak, and they'll examine the mating surfaces. I'll be dropping the PF off at AAMCO tomorrow at 9 AM. I got the ST filter, gotta spin it on tomorrow morning before leaving.

I just had the rear main seal replaced by AAMCO for $1,169.30. This seal was in use for 126,106 miles exactly. This is the second RMS that has been in my Pathfinder. The first was replaced at 1,720 miles by a Nissan dealership under warranty. This seal then leaked somewhere between 90k and 105k miles.

Pictures of the damaged side of the seal:

th_IMG_0952.jpg th_IMG_0953.jpg th_IMG_0954.jpg th_IMG_0958.jpg th_IMG_0959.jpg th_IMG_0960.jpg

And the undamaged side:

th_IMG_0955.jpg th_IMG_0956.jpg th_IMG_0957.jpg

It is obvious that no high-mileage or thicker oil would have ever stopped this seal from leaking. Slow it? Quite a possibility, but who knows. AAMCO claimed to have found no defects on the mating surfaces of the seal, but they did find two missing bolts on the bellhousing and replaced those free of charge.

The seal was replaced with a Fel-Pro BS 40631. I have read that Fel-Pro makes high quality gaskets/seals and try their best to remove OE defects and try to improve the design. I did not see this seal, but if I were really curious I could purchase one for $35, photograph it, post pictures here, and then return the seal. The job took about 6 hours to complete, but the shop kept the PF overnight to ensure there were no issues. I certainly hope this third RMS will not leak for another 100k at least.

The shop did not lose any fluids other than a very small amount of automatic transmission fluid when disconnecting the transmission cooler lines. I retained my engine oil and filter (as they were recently changed within the past 2000 miles) and all engine coolant. The work seems to be satisfactorily performed, and I am happy with the shop. I have a 90-day warranty on parts and labor. I'll likely be a return customer if the need arises. I will check tomorrow to ensure there are no more oil drips around the bellhousing.

Edited by Towncivilian

Well, shit. It was still leaking out the weep hole. I dropped it off at AAMCO and they replaced the RMS again with a Nissan part this time, and they also concluded that my aluminum oil pan gasket is leaking so that's another $448 + tax down the drain to replace - they're using an OEM gasket for that too. I'll be picking it up again tomorrow.

Edited by Towncivilian

I will be picking up the Pathfinder tomorrow. I dropped by earlier today and they replaced the front & rear oil pan lip seals and RMS again with Nissan OEM parts, they're keeping it overnight to ensure no leaks. They said the bottom of my engine was spotless, which is nice to know. I got one of the old lip seals and will post pictures of it soon. They lost about a quart of coolant during the process and will top it off with universal, but it's such a small amount I'm not gonna worry about it.

• 4 weeks later...

I threw away that lip seal. Oops.

Anyway, it's still weeping a tiny bit at the weep hole, but after all this work I'd expect it to be &^%*ing spotless. I wiped it off several times and it came back in short order. I think I'll ask AAMCO to put some dye in the oil to see where the hell it's coming from.

Also, they overtightened the oil filter, and tightened one of the transmission cooler hose clamps so much that the rubber started chafing into the holes of the clamp (hose clamp looks like this). :thumbsdown:

Turns out the weeping was just trans fluid. I spoke with one of the mechanics who worked on my car and he said he overfilled the trans accidentally (he thought more got lost than what really was) and it puked some fluid out on the first test drive. The weeping is almost gone now and it does appear to have a red tinge to it, so it's probably just residual trans fluid in the bellhousing working its way out.

I'd fix it, unless there is something else wrong with the truck and this is the "last straw" to a trade in decision.

As a side note. Blended oils that have a viscosity range may differ from brand to brand and type to type. This is a result of the blend of oil and additives to give a particular viscosity "curve" over the desired temperature range and is usually a proprietary formula. Pick up 2 random bottles of engine oil and you are very likely to see a viscosity difference between them at room temperature. That one is "thicker" doesn't necessarily make it "better".

Well, the pipe/hose that the excess fluid spits out from is right above the bell housing. The mechanic said that it spit fluid all over the bell housing and he was a bit annoyed because he just cleaned it off real well before the test drive. Maybe some fluid collected in a grooved area or something and slowly made its way down, I dunno. I'm not losing any trans fluid as far as I know - I've checked the fluid level on the dipstick several times and have checked the bellhousing/trans pan area frequently for the past week. It's completely dry now.