Belts Squealing.

NextToAlaska

Hello guys, Just got my pathfinder, its a 98 SE not to long ago, and after about 3 days of driving my belts started squealing, It leaks abit of oil out of the oil pressure sending unit, and i'am wondering if that could be dripping onto my belts and causing them to squeal?, I put brand new ones on the other day and the squeal is still there. I havnt looked super hard yet, but ive yet to see the sending unit so if that is the problem? how hard would it be to replace/Tighten it.

Thanks.

Oil can make things squeaky, especially if they get on belts (found out after oil change..heh.) Also, check to see if they arent too tight/loose or anything.. I'd definitely get that oil leak fixed! Good luck n if you have any further questions, feel free to ask. :)

I tried resealing my sensor with some sensor safe RTV a while back, waste of time, it dose not leak from around the threads, it leaks right through the unit and out the connector. Just replace the sensor on your next oil change. Replacing it is not so hard, just figuring out how you have to contort your body and arm to get leverage to get it out takes a few tries.

On the subject of squeal, you can troubleshoot belts, pulleys, and devices like alternators, P/S pumps and AC comps by removing belts one by one, starting with the alternator belt, starting the engine and running it for a short time (it will run off the batt, and WITHOUT THE COOLANT PUMP TURNING) to see if the squeal is there or not. I had mine running with no belts at all, it turned out to be my water pump making the noise. With my engine off and no belt on the water pump/fan, I could spin the fan by hand, thus turning the WP and I could hear it squeak. So in my case, all my belts were fine.

• 1 month later...

After doing some tinkering (mostly because i cant afford to drive the truck everyday).... I bought all new belts, put them on, and the squeal stops unti I put a load on the alternator. So its the alternator belt thats being grumpy now. Its pretty tight so iam not 100% sure if thats the problem the only thing i can think of now is that either the bearings in the alternator are goofied or my tensioner might be buggered, Should I try tightening the belts a little more? And is there a way i can check my alternator bearings without taking it out?. Thanks.

sorry for not being as helpfull as iam good at asking questions lol. One day ill find a question i can awsner!

Take the belt off, and spin it by hand. It should spin freely, with little resistance, and little noise. Also, it should not have play in the shaft from side to side or up and down. A LITTLE play along the shaft is okay, but not too much.

Take the belt off, and spin it by hand. It should spin freely, with little resistance, and little noise. Also, it should not have play in the shaft from side to side or up and down. A LITTLE play along the shaft is okay, but not too much.

Yep Im thinking bearings too.