Oil sensor

pathfinder93x

Hey guys I haven't been on in awhile! But I got a little story and need your advice.

Brought my truck in for the first time in my life for an oil change (I have always done it myself), I bring it to a place I go to for repairs I normally can't do in my driveway due to lack of tools. Anyhow the guy didn't put the filter on properly.... I'm driving and all of a sudden all the lights come on and my car stalls.

Now I tow it to the garage and leave it until monday, I get there when it opens and we put oil in it check the levels its fine, turn it on all the oil comes out and I turn it off immediately. But already I hear ticking from the engine... it made a horrible noise when it stalled the first time.

We bring it in and of course the filter is not on properly its spitting oil everywhere... we replace it, put oil in it and it runs but still ticking in the engine... I also notice my oil sensor is not plugged in. Right now the inspector is coming to check it for insurance purposes to replace the engine or wtv the it may be.

Which leads me to my question, I know my sensor was there I plugged it myself, where would the oil sensor wire be coming from? a harness? If someone can help me locate maybe I can see i it was cut by them.

Also is there a fuse or a relay for this? it looks like i have a missing relay in my fuse box to... this is maybe why my oil light never came on...

You should be albe to find the sensor harness in the starter wiring harness as the sensor sits just above the starter. Of course, it is only one wire. I will see what I can find for a pic.

Out of curiosity, where did you take your rig to?

Its a local garage called Freds Garage. I know where it plugs in, i see the input but i dont see the wire to go in there....I have a picture of where the wire used to be but it seems to have been moved.

You should be albe to find the sensor harness in the starter wiring harness as the sensor sits just above the starter. Of course, it is only one wire. I will see what I can find for a pic.

Also is there a fuse or a relay for this? it looks like i have a missing relay in my fuse box to... this is maybe why my oil light never came on...

When I did a starter mod I think that I saw the oil pressure sensor wire (yellow and purple) runs up to somewhere near the battary. Its in one of those black plastic wire covers. You could check in there to see if its frayed or something? Good luck.

The oil level sending unit does not have a individual fuse. The circuit runs from the sensor to the cluster, passing through a few large connectors. You could do a continutiy test from the cluster to the switch. I would pull the cluster and check the bulb first. Of course, its possible the system had just enough pressure to keep the switch acitivated, as it is a on/off type switch.

Edited by 5523Pathfinder

The wire comes back from the front of the truck along with the starter wiring. I believe on my truck it initially came with a big red boot on it. If you were losing all your oil probably the sequence would be that everything would operate normally until you basically ran out of oil. At this point your pump would start sucking air and the oil pressure would drop and the light would come on. If you kept driving (like if the light was unplugged) then you would get engine damage.

Get an oil pressure gauge on your next setup, gives peace of mind, and a second line of defense against oil problems.

Glad they've got it covered, unfortunate that your engine had enough though. Keep us updated on the progress, and drive the Accent like you stole it! Well, not really - just make sure you have enough brake fluid and oil in that loaner...

haha, well I found a good place to rebuild my engine, does anyone know how much a complete job like that should average? to remove and place back/rebuild. I also have headers, guessing they will need to get the gasket kit for them to?

They gave me a 2011 mazda 3 as a rental with less then 2000km haha! all their @!*% cars were already taken

I believe the headers use the same gaskets as the oem manifolds so I guess just stock gaskets will be fine. Sucks about the motor. Tell them to put a new clutch in it while they're at it :tongue:

• 4 weeks later...

Well after 5-6 weeks of going at it with the insurance company I have finally gotten somewhere. They wanted to declare my truck as a total loss! hence the 5-6 weeks of fighting lol. They have now agreed to give me a used engine with 140 000km on it and 2 years warranty. my old engine had 300 000km so im not to upset!

figured id keep you guys posted

dude sue the repair garage as im certain they are the ones behind it getting messed up in the first place, if that wire is cut the oil light in the dash will not come on, my guess is they didnt check the filter stub on the block and it was lose and it allowed the filter to come off or allowed it to be crooked, dude fine tha cut wire i promise a victory in court as the wire would prove they had knowledge of the filter being incorrectly installed and they covered it up by disabling the oil warning system