4cyl starter on a V6?

MY1PATH

Hey guys, Seems my starter has died on me and a friend of mine said the KA pathfinder starter might be stronger because inline 4bangers are harder to turn over than V6's.

Has anybody tried this?

On the other hand, The FSM lists 5 differant starters for the w/d21 but only one of them was used on 4x4 models. This leads me to belive that maybe the 4x4 starter for the 4x4 is stronger to support the interlock feature.

anybody got any Ideas/ Input?

thanks.

2WDs have an interlock switch also. I don't think the starters are the same, at least from what I've seen looking at a Z24. Besides, your VG starter lasted what, 250K? I don't see the point BUT if it does bolt right in and it's cheaper it might be worth a shot.

IIRC cost is fairly similar and what it's worth, I used to go through aproximatly 1 starter a year on my KA powered 4by HBs (new, not rebuilt), plus will it mate Correctly to the flywheel? I'd stick with a quality correct replacement honestly in my opinion.

Edited by nunya

IIRC the R50 starter matched up perfectly to the WD21 and is a hair smaller, making it easier to get in. I will try to recall (I think I posted it here) the new 'redesigned' starter that my pathy's PO had installed. It works flawlessly for 2.5 years now with no sign of giving up. It was purchased through Napa, I do recall that...

B

James your right, it did last 250k :) this was just something me and 510 were talking about so I figured others might be interested too. And yeah whatever I can find strong and cheap is good

All V6's got Hitachi s114-528

All 4cyl 4x4 Hitachi s114-703a

there are 2 more Hitachi's and 2 Mitsubishi's (ok 6 starters total) for the remaining 2wd 4cyls.

I'm thinking that because of the interlock feature, (using the starter to move the truck) all 4x4 got a plenty beefy starter.

th_StarterSpecs.jpg

Edited by MY1PATH

Not to threadjack too much, but where is the clutch interlock override switch? My manual says it should be on the right side of the steering column near the hazard/rear wiper switches, but it isn't there. I do have two unknown "on/off" switches to the right of my parking brake. My truck lurches forward if I try to start without clutching, so I am currently just permanently overridden...

Not to threadjack too much, but where is the clutch interlock override switch? My manual says it should be on the right side of the steering column near the hazard/rear wiper switches, but it isn't there. I do have two unknown "on/off" switches to the right of my parking brake. My truck lurches forward if I try to start without clutching, so I am currently just permanently overridden...

mine would start without the clutch pushed in, nor the interlock swtich activated... come to find out, the wires had been cut for the switch...