My new head unit!

So attached is a pic of my new HU, a Kenwood KIV-700. After installing it with stock speakers I decided to keep the stock speakers and add a bazooka tube sub. The stock speakers really come alive with a new head unit.

My only issue is what should I hook the safety wire up so somebody can watch video while I am driving? They say to hook it up to the handbrake sensor but obviously that means no use while driving.

Second issue is what should I hook the turn on wire for the subwoofer too?

Thanks,

Mike

2011-04-01_17-50-27_527.jpg

Thanks man!

I figured out both of them with some google skills. For the parking brake wire if you ground it to any metal screw it works and for the sub turn on wire you can attach it to any accessory turn on wire so I used the power antenna wire since that wire is unused.

something else you can do, which i did, is use toggle switches.

one to a ground, then to the video cut off wire. so if you get pulled over or have a cop behind or beside you, flip the switch and it becomes legal again.

same for the sub output. it just needs that feed, and if you connect it to a toggle, you can turn the amp on and off at will, which is what i do when i get into any area where i will be stopping, so people dont hear me coming and steal meh shyt while im doing what ever im doin.

damn that's a nice radio, i was thinking of ditching the cd player and going to those style HU's with USB and ipod instead

let me know how you like it, it was between that kenwood and the alpine 305

If you used the power antenna wire to trigger the sub it will only work when the radio is on. Most aftermarket radios will have a amp turn on wire, (usually blue/white),

per the manual for your Kenwood:

5vyo7l.jpg

Edited by ahardb0dy

and if for some reason that wire isnt there (someone clipped it too short or something stupid) you can tap into the red wire. all it is is a positive feed from the ignition telling the stereo to turn on, so you would have the amp turn on anytime the unit is on with the igniton. thats all the blue control wire does.

After I posted I realized that it would only work with radio and i switched it to the amp turn on wire...thanks for looking out for me :beer:

As for how much I like the HU I love it. The features are great, the ipod control is just like one of the ipod classic click wheels so it is second nature, the screen is amazing, and the stock speakers really come alive with a quality HU powering them (I am sure the feature where the HU sends no lows to the speakers helps them out a lot)...

They are coming out with a new version of this HU called the KIV-701, seems more of a software update than whole new HU.

Not sure if you have an automatic antenna or not but consider putting in a simple toggle switch to control your antenna manually. On my PIONEER, the antenna would stay up ALL THE TIME when the unit is on. You only need the ant. For the tuner anyway. Plus, it's convient in winter months with ice and freezing.

the fender antenna is def not AM only, the Nissan used a technology similar to what Sony had way back called diversity tuning, my truck had no fender mounted antenna and with just the one in the windshield the radio would not pick up any stations now with the fender mounted antenna after I installed it my old Alpine tuned in 31 FM stations sitting in my driveway and 29 AM stations.

Yes, the factory stereo switched signals back and forth between the mast and the windshield antennas depending on which received the better signal. Nowadays they sell adapters that combine both factory plugs into one for the aftermarket.