Small Update on my Links

fleurys

Just a small update on my special links (trailing arms)..

The design is finished and the material is on it's way... Here's a few pictures of the lower ones...

The will be made from T6 6061 Aluminum BAR.... yeah...not hollow...solid bar of aluminum !

No welding, and ends machined to receive a Heim Chromoly joint with nylon and kevlar lining good for 28,000lbs of static load.. fully adjustable on the truck because of left and right hand threads. To top it up, they will have an UHMW plastic skid under to absorb the rocks hit.

So , chromoly joints, aluminum bar, Stainless steel bolts... No price yet.. I will have real pictures and the weight of these babies soon...

links2.jpg

links1.jpg

links3.jpg

nice, but 1 problem you are going to have is your slider..

hard to get in the right position, 1 full turn or 3/4 turn on a left right thread setup is ALOT.

I know when i turn mine 1 turn, its out of whack.

nice, but 1 problem you are going to have is your slider..

hard to get in the right position, 1 full turn or 3/4 turn on a left right thread setup is ALOT.

I know when i turn mine 1 turn, its out of whack.

Tks.. I guess in some case, the adjustement will need to be done with one link unbolted... :tongue: )... by the way anyone knows the center to center measurement of trailing arms (upper and lower) for other pathfinder platform ?

Are you planning on making upper links adjustable also? So us with SFD could push our axle back to center with a longer drive shaft and maybe decrease the pinion angle :aok:

Yes.. Both the upper and lower will be adjustable a good 1-1.5 inch.

price? shipping?

No price yet.. The material still has not arrive (I see it being released from custom).

I'm shooting for mid 200ish for the lower ones and low 200ish for the uppers... Obviously the lower one requires a tad more work (with the uhmw and threaded holes), but at least shipping should not be too much because of the material used... but again, I'm using 2Inch bar and not tube... so I have no idea of the weight for now... I finally bought an old beater Volkswagen diesel to commute to and from work so I can work on the pathy. No more repairs and try to fit stuff at night or on weekends... I can now dismantle and leave it like this while I go work with the other... Just got it tonight.. 46mpg... that's gonna be good on my pocket (compared to 15 with the pathy!)

Edited by fleurys
  • Like 1

anyone knows the center to center measurement of trailing arms (upper and lower) for other pathfinder platform ?

I just happened to have this on my desk: Lower = 21", Upper = 10.5" (eye to eye, WD21).

2x2" 6061 should be 4.6-4.7 lb/ft. A pair of good joints will weigh more than the link.

I just happened to have this on my desk: Lower = 21", Upper = 10.5" (eye to eye, WD21).

2x2" 6061 should be 4.6-4.7 lb/ft. A pair of good joints will weigh more than the link.

Thank you very much for these measurements... I see some links available for wd21 in the near future.... :-)

If you give me a good deal on some links ill drive up there for test fitting. :jk:

good work steve.

hahaha.. what's a good deal for you ? I'll tell you if it's possible....

ok, nothing very big, just a new end for the link. Went with square end instead of round just for the sake of machining. This should be easier on the wallet as only straight cut needs to be done instead of a milling job.. I,m meeting tomorrow with a machinist that hopefully will not want my shirt on top of all my money to do them. I,m also giving him the half-shaft spacers and strut spacers to give me a quote on... The price is going up fast... but they'll be quality and rugged pieces... Once I'm all done with the final price that they cost me, I shall have a better idea of what will be the final one for all.

lower-links-square.jpg

lower-links-square2.jpg

• 3 weeks later...

update?

It's unbelievable the amount of people that are full of BS***... I'm on my third and last guy to get a quote on having these and other parts done. The other 2 either wanted an insane ammount of money or never got back to me... After this last guy, if it does not work, I will do them myself...

Hopefully this week, _something_ will happen !....

S.

• 3 weeks later...

Here's a good update... After many tries , I finally found a good shop for the machining that I feel I can trust. The status is now that I have to left tap the other end ( I received my LH tap) and to install the other uhmw skid... almost done..! (finally!)

CIMG2540.jpg

CIMG2537.jpg

CIMG2542.jpg

CIMG2539.jpg

Whats the final cost on them? And I would most likely get a custom Driveshaft made for only like $200....

The price is not set yet... but I can tell you that they are costing me more than I thought they would ... :-( The problem is with machining... machining 1 set vs 4 or 5 is not at all the same... maybe I should do a pre-order survey....

who is interested in buying these considering they would be under 300$ (for the lowers) and probably 250 for the uppers ?? These are not the final price but will not be far...

put you name if you are :

1-

2-

3-

4-

5-

The price is not set yet... but I can tell you that they are costing me more than I thought they would ... :-( The problem is with machining... machining 1 set vs 4 or 5 is not at all the same... maybe I should do a pre-order survey....

who is interested in buying these considering they would be under 300$ (for the lowers) and probably 250 for the uppers ?? These are not the final price but will not be far...

put you name if you are :

1-Pa mountianbiker

2-

3-

4-

5-

The links are DONE ! They are still a bit ugly and need some scotchbright to a better polish... No problem as they will be my set. But you can expect flawless links for the set number 2 and over....

Man this one took forever... Still waiting on final price from my machinist. I will show more pictures comparing the oem one with them and also a small video of the truck droping on them... this will be good :sly:

Stay tuned...

CIMG2548.jpg

CIMG2546.jpg

CIMG2545.jpg

Edited by fleurys

• 3 months later...

A little update on these.

I finally was able to install them on my truck and test them on the trail (rocks).

I can tell that they do the job well as to resist full truck weight on rocks. I do not fear bending them anymore. On the other hand, some bugs need to be worked out. This test has shown me that the design has a flaw. The fact of having 2 heim joints per link makes the link noisy on and off the road. I will now modify the design and introduce a bushing at one end and keep the heim joint at the other. This will fix the issue... So back to the drawing board a bit.

On the picture, you see that I tie-wrap the hand brake cable, but an aluminum tab was welded before I went to test. I just do not have a picture of it..

IMG_0609.jpg

IMG_0611.jpg

IMG_0613.jpg

IMG_0615.jpg

IMG_0617.jpg

IMG_0618.jpg