antenna mast

tekazgtr1984

Had to replace the antenna mast as it was slightly wonky and bent and wouldn't go up or down properly. The replacement mast arrived so I took a stab at removing the broken one. I seem to have missed something because the broken mast just doesn't want to come out. I removed the cap (threads counter-clockwise) but the lower portion of the mast just won't budge out of motor sleeve. :scratchhead:

Does anyone have experience with this and if so, what am I missing? The replacement kit came with instructions but the English is sub-par and spotty at best.

I just did mine, Take the nut off the top, turn on the radio, once the antenna raises just pull it out, then thread the new mast down the hole, shut off the radio and it will suck itself down. Now that its on tighten the nut back down and you're good to go.

And if it doesn't come out or breaks you have to take your fender liner off to access the antenna motor where you can take the side of that off to remove any broken pieces from in there. I was able to access the motor by just cranking the wheel towards the drivers side and that gave enough clearance to get to it without having to take the wheel off.

Edited by spazman

The actual liner inside the wheel well, the fender itself stays untouched. I didn't take mine all the way out, just took enough of the fasteners off so I could pull the plastis liner back and reach in. It's pretty obvious where the antenna motor is once you get the liner pulled back.

Yup I remember reaching in behind that plastic inner fender as well. It can be a little tricky to get everything setup correctly. And my eBay replacement one had a pretty short lift as well (~2 years). It's stuck about half way up and probably going to stay there.

I tried to remove mine once per spaz's instructions and it did want to let go. I was tryng to fix a stuck mast, but ended up npt needing to remove it.

What is an OE vs. fleabay replacement worth?

What is the proper lube to use on the mast?

I tried to remove mine once per spaz's instructions and it did want to let go. I was tryng to fix a stuck mast, but ended up npt needing to remove it.

What is an OE vs. fleabay replacement worth?

What is the proper lube to use on the mast?

I wish mine were a case of it being stuck. The old mast was bent pretty badly so I had to replace it.

I got an eBay replacement for $13 shipped and it looks identical to the OEM mast.

I'm not sure what the proper lube is but I'm just going to load it up with TKX spray lube.

I had an idea of sorts last night regarding the antenna. I wonder if it's possible to remove the motor and mast and replace it with an immobile, short antenna, much like those found on newer vehicles. The OEM hardware just sucks IMO.

There are a couple of prongs at the base of the antenna that didn't stick on mine but I remember the first time I replaced it I had to reach under the fender up where it goes out and push the prongs down so it'd slide out. I'm probably going to see about getting a none power one next time. I replaced it 8 years ago and went wheeling and forgot to shut the radio off. I hit a tree branch with it and bent it so it would all the way down except the last big section, that's how it sat until I replaced it a couple weeks ago and figured I'd spend the $13 again before I broke it off with it sticking up like that still. Not sure of the lube, I've heard of using a silicon spray type lubricant and also of using wd40 and just wiping the excess off and the film is suppose to be good enough. I'd probably sway to the silicon spray side of things personally if I ever were to do it.

(the antenna looks like this where the base widens out at the fender, under the fender there are prongs that stick out)

. | <- antenna

_|_ <- fender

| |

| |

/ \ <-"prong"

| |

Edited by spazman

So, I was able to take out a fender splash guard/liner to access inside the fender where the motor is located... And, well... Let's just say it didn't quite go as I had anticipated.

For one, I couldn't locate the prong so I tried to take the motor cover apart to access the internals. The two bottom screws were rusted up something nasty, to the point where one snapped off at the head and the other just refused to budge, even after loading 'em up with penetrating fluid.

Long story short, I took out the motor and temporarily relocated the FM antenna. A big 'eff you' to Nissan for such a stupid piece of hardware. But, this gives me an opportunity to try one of two options:

1) Use the existing hole in the fender and install a low-profile antenna, much like this:

FA-SC55V%20Icom%20VHf%20Antenna.gif

Or, 2) relocate the antenna to the roof and install an angled low-profile antenna (Viper antenna by Race Sport UK):

%21CC41tLw%21mk%7E$%28KGrHqF,%21isE0Fyk7uO%28BNMwtuR7Tg%7E%7E0_12.JPG

I think the second option is definitely a better idea. :happy:

I replaced it 8 years ago and went wheeling and forgot to shut the radio off. I hit a tree branch with it and bent it so it would all the way down except the last big section, that's how it sat until I replaced it a couple weeks ago and figured I'd spend the $13 again before I broke it off with it sticking up like that still.

I was wondering if it's possible to add a switch to make the antenna move up and down from inside the cab. When listening to my iPod or a CD in the truck, the antenna raises up by default......I HATE THAT! Would adding a simple on/off switch to the power ant wiring harness work? Any thoughts?

I helped a buddy change his out yesterday and I think his was doing what it sounds like yours is. What I ended up doing was taking the silver retaining nut off, the black bezel thingy that goes against the fender, then there is a black grommet right above the threaded part, take that off with a little motivation. Then take some pliers as low as you can get on the antenna mast and pull like hell twisting and pulling and it should come right out. Remember the way the teeth come out on the antenna, put the new one in the same direction by sliding the white toothed part down and having someone turn the radio off, it'll suck the mast right down. I thought about it after the fact but should have taken some picture to better illustrate this. The mast that came out didn't have the prongs I spoke of but teh new one did so I don't know what's up with that.

I was wondering if it's possible to add a switch to make the antenna move up and down from inside the cab. When listening to my iPod or a CD in the truck, the antenna raises up by default......I HATE THAT! Would adding a simple on/off switch to the power ant wiring harness work? Any thoughts?

It WORKS! I just inserted a pre-wired on/off toggle switch 10amp in between the power antenna wire.....now the radio antenna is controlled from inside of the cab. I can now listen to CD or iPod with the antenna DOWN! Switch is next to the rear wiper switch. Also good for ice / freeze daze with bad weather screwing with the antenna. Definitely good idea for the trail, tree branches won't take it out!

e7b4b1d5.jpg

Edited by OfftourRoadie96

• 4 years later...

Hi everybody, I was having the same issue with my antenna... I was worried to broke it with something on the road... And i only listen to my mp3 (usb) music...

I bought a rocker switch from aliexpress, and I received it today, but I have a question... Which is the cable of the power antenna? So I can install the switch...

Thanks.

I think the Pathy had the Bosé system originally, and one of the previous owners put this one... I found a lot of "homeless" wires and conections...

The person who did the job, used a lot of tape... and no solder... So I soldered all the conections and try to do a clean job with shrinking tube...

image_zpsymqmodio.jpeg

image_zps8yyxs2zm.jpeg

I found the power antena cable by trial and error.. and installed the switch this diagram....

s-l1600_zpskcszwqkr.jpg

The switch seems a little bigger but for now it is ok for me... I will look for something more discret....

image_zps8y68tjm8.jpeg

I bought this cheap rocker switch... I think it fit well but i think it big on the panel...

I had to file just a small piece of corner... But it was easy to do that...

http://www.aliexpress.com/item/6-COLORS-LED-Rocker-Switch-Laser-LIGHTED-WHIP-4-WHEEL-STEERING-4x4-2-x2-UP-MASTER/32345040710.html