Different injector colours

sewebster

So, there seem to be at least two different coloured injectors for the VG30E, black and blue (paint dot colour). And apparently you aren't supposed to mix them up. But why not? It's the same engine, right? The only thing I can think of is that the ECU is programmed to do something specific based on which injectors are provided with the vehicle. But wouldn't this mean you couldn't replace your ECU unless you got the "right" one?

I understand that injectors can have different spray patterns, durations, etc., I'm just not sure why they wouldn't all work for the same engine.

I know there are low and high impedce injectors. But I don't know if that is the differance between the black and blue dot...

If you use low impedance injectors on a High ecu without adding resitors you will fry the ECU and if you run high on a low ecu your injectors will not fire correctly.

Do you want to risk 1 or more cylinders running lean or rich when the O2 sensor has the ECU changing things due to misleading feedback? It could even affect emmisions and smog tests. Then there is what MY1PATH said (didn't know that).

Alkorahil (Rob Lacy) who runs a parts department advised me not to mix and match injectors. His advice is rock solid and that's good enough for me... ;)

B

Oh, I have no intentions of mix and matching. I was just curious about how things worked! It seems to me that it must be that the ECUs are matched to the injectors, so people should be careful when replacing ECUs to get one that is appropriate for their vehicle. I probably wouldn't have thought of this before.

Would you guys trust junkyard injectors? Two of mine have a resistance that is out of range (25 ohms, should be 10-14) so I figure the injection shop is going to tell me they're dead. Dealer injectors are $214 up here (I think it's like $130 from the US online dealerships). There are some on rockauto as cheap as $40, but the cheapest that actually specifies the blue dot is $100... and that would be slower than the wreckers. I guess depending on the wrecker injector cost I can pay the injection place $35 to clean and test those too...

Please dont mix and match injectors.

Each one is a slightly different spray pattern, lenght of time it stays open and most importantly Ohms. Mixing them will confuse the ECU and make the vehicle very run poorly....guaranteed.

I would be extremely leary of junk yard injectors. No telling how long they have been sitting up, how well maintained the vehicle was of if they were functioning properly beforehand.

I am a big junkyard hunting fool, but a critical part like that doesnt seem worth it.

The $40 ones from RA are remanufactured. I know some people on here will say they have used them with no problem, my experience has been that they do not last long.

Yeah, those were some of my concerns as well, but I don't really know much about my current injectors either, since I just bought the truck. Ideally I'd just replace them all, but the costs add up. I guess I'll see what the fuel injection place says after they ultrasonic them all etc. Maybe I'll give you a call...

I'd be amazed if an ultrasonic cleaning did anything for the resistance...

Would you guys trust junkyard injectors? Two of mine have a resistance that is out of range (25 ohms, should be 10-14) so I figure the injection shop is going to tell me they're dead. Dealer injectors are $214 up here (I think it's like $130 from the US online dealerships). There are some on rockauto as cheap as $40, but the cheapest that actually specifies the blue dot is $100... and that would be slower than the wreckers. I guess depending on the wrecker injector cost I can pay the injection place $35 to clean and test those too...

I understand Alkorahil's point with junkyard injectors but if you source them well, I see no harm in used injectors, especially if you are not replacing them all. I bought an entire fuel rail set, pressure regulator and 6 injectors from NOW (Nissan Only Wreckers in Sacramento, Ca) for $200. There was still a little gas in the parts when they arrived. I replaced one injector (with new seals) and it works perfectly, now I have 5 spares if any of the others decide to crap out.

That said, I just pulled a set off of my parts truck. I have yet to determine the color coding or if they match what is in my DD so I may have some spares for you. Let me try to take a look in the next few days.

B

Got the injectors back from the testing this morning. All had the correct flow rates, but one was out of resistance range (18 ohms, should be 10-14). I want to get this thing running again and would like to "do it right" so I just ordered one injector from the dealer. Should be in on Thursday. Thanks for the offer though Precise. It seems to me that if you have a used injector then you can get it fully cleaned and tested at a fuel injection place for not so much money. I think that if you do this then you can be pretty confident that it is in OK shape. That's probably what I would do if I got a junkyard or second hand injector.