Auto Transmission Differences, And Ac Condenser Option

Dowser

Hey Everyone.

I've been searching for a few days now thru every Transmission related Topic I can find for a for something I remembered seeing and reading but have had no luck finding. Was hoping someone may be able to confirm, post a link, or educate me on the correct answer. Also a completely different question about The AC Condenser as well.

First off.

I remember at one time on this forum of someone saying that there was are Auto Transmission with upgraded internal components that came as a option in R50 models that would still bolt up to a VG30 Block. Something about it being a HD model Tranny perhaps a tow package or something along those lines. I cannot find the topic for my life and was wondering if anyone can post it or confirm.

Second,

I've been looking at the Tranny Coolers lately and although I am fully aware that a 29200 btu model is most likely overkill but that is besides the point. The one I was looking at was the B&M 70274 Model and as you can see from that link it has dimensions of 11" x 11" x 1-1/2". Now I'm sure it can fit in between the Condenser and the Rad but I was wanting to install it in front of the Condenser and as we all know that gets to be a bit harder since there is the brace in the middle to contend with as well as the depth issue between the condenser and the grill. The whole thing got me thinking that would it not be possible to get a Condenser that is perhaps Thicker, but takes up less real estate in the front of the Pathy. Or perhaps 2 that would take up the space of Half the the front but daisy chain them together back to back sitting them infront of the Rad. From my measurements theres about a 1-1/2" to about an 1-5/8's between the Rad and Condenser and about an 1-1/4 infront of the condenser to the Grill. Just speculating but do you think that the 2 smaller condensers would do as good a job to provide just as cold AC? My gut is saying no since there is less surface area for outside air to contact fins so even though capacity would be the same or perhaps a little bigger, the cooling properties would not be quite as good. I don't know much about anything other then making babies though so let me know what you think.

My thoughts were if you could get half our front space free you could get a big tranny cooler with a fan on the front to not only cool the tranny but help the rad as well without space being an issue. Thoughts? :shrug:

Am I being ridiculous?

Edited by Dowser

You are quite lucky my friend. I just finished doing my homework on that exact Idea and have already orderd parts to put it in motion.

Our condensers are HUGE 27x14 and our a/c's can blow like freezers.

Something came up I will finish this later but the short answer is you can.

The Xterra and Frontier VG33 RE4 transmissions are Heavy Duty and will bolt right in. Electronics and part numbers are the same.

The VG33 R50s used the same RE4 as the WD21s.

That's what I thought too but I couldn't for the life of me find anything to confirm it here. I'm sure I read it here and its been talked about several times I think in the past.

So technically if you had a Tranny issue, instead of just rebuilding what you have you'd be better off looking for a Wreck from a R50, Xttera, or Frontier with the RE4 transmissions? Did they redesign or improve them at a specific point for all RE4 tranny's after that making them all better due to new engine HP, or we're they more vehicle/option specific. Meaning are there variations of the RE4 to look for in the wrecking yards.

You are quite lucky my friend. I just finished doing my homework on that exact Idea and have already orderd parts to put it in motion.

Our condensers are HUGE 27x14 and our a/c's can blow like freezers.

Something came up I will finish this later but the short answer is you can.

Can't wait to see what you've come up with. Keep me posted.

Edited by Dowser

I could have sworn the year the heavy duty auto tranny was available was in 2001, so a Frontier or Xterra 2001 or newer with the VG33 should be the donor?? The VG35 has a different bell housing/bolt pattern?? Can that part be swapped?

As for the condensor, I wouldn't bother and simply install your tranny cooler infront of it. Without cutting, etc you will have a hard time mounting a 1.5" thick cooler. Put in the largest 3/4" thick plate style cooler you can on one side of the Radiator support and that should be all you need. Not like you live in a hot climate Bud... ;)

B

As for the condensor, I wouldn't bother and simply install your tranny cooler infront of it. Without cutting, etc you will have a hard time mounting a 1.5" thick cooler. Put in the largest 3/4" thick plate style cooler you can on one side of the Radiator support and that should be all you need. Not like you live in a hot climate Bud... ;)

hahaha I know its not necessary for me, but it was an idea none the less. Perhaps not for someone in my area of the world but there are others who may be looking for a solution that live in Hot climates and perhaps this could be a possible solution for their issues. Just exploring a possibility.

Ok I has returned...

as said 2001+ xterras and frontiers for the HD. Superior shift also makes a kit that vastly impoves shifting and corrects the lubrication issues of the old trannys. Its $40 and fairly easy to do. All but 2 steps can be done in place and the last 2 are not mandatory but are recomended if you ever have the tranny out.

Our condensers are HUGE 27x14 and our a/c's can blow like freezers. I want to do the same thing; smaller condenser, Bit AT cooler right next to it.... So I went and read about AC systems and automotive AC systems. I found out smaller condser, say 14" wide, will make your AC pump harder to turn so its possible you may lose 1/4~1/2 MPG when the AC is on Hopefully we don't lose any at all. The smaller condenser will not dispate as much heat from the compressed Gas so it will be hotter when enters the expansion block (this is where the refrigerant expands and expanding gasses get cold when they do so) It is unknown the exact temperature impact in degrees but you will still have cold air, Prolly like a fridge instead of a freezer.

Now I think my 89 compressor clutch is activated by a pressure switch so the pressure conditions stay the same as before only with the smaller condeser it ramps up faster so the cycles are more often. (same pressures less cold)

But if the later models have a temperature switch then the system will run higher pressures on the High side for more cooling and thus temperatures will stay the same.(differant pressures same cold)

I got some measurements.

Condenser 27x14. (could fit up to 15 tall) (up to 17 pass side, no hood release in the way)

Radiator to inside of grille 4.5"

I went to summit racing and found universal condensers and there seems to be a limit to how small they get. But you should find one that frees up some room and our stock one has a block fitting on one side so we need to replace the line from our compressor with one that has an AN fitting and an extended line from one side or the other. I plan to keep the AC on the drivers side so the Cooler lines and stuff stay on the passengers side.

I have a 4" thick 10x15 cooler(26,000lb) with thermostat fan on the way for the tranny so it will be going on the pass side with some grille shaving I can keep it .75" from the radiator and I still have 18x15 left for a condenser, Look at that! http://www.summitracing.com/parts/VTA-03260-VUC/

Ok I think thats all I was gonna say last night... If you have questions feel free.

Edited by MY1PATH

That is overkill IMO.

Perhaps, but with the fan turned Off its only an 18,000 LB which is the recomended amount. Now consider the conditions I will encounter;

On the road for 14+ hours non-stop with a wife, baby, 2 dogs, luggage(Aprox 700lbs more cargo than normal daily driving) and possibly a small trailer (another 1,000lbs) the last thing I wanna worry about Is keeping my Tranny cool. I Currently have an 16k+10k (26,000 lb) and the heat on the curvy, hilly roads without a trailer made me decide I want more. With 60 degree ambient air thru the hills I was running the 180~190 at the pan and 200+ Directly out of the TC.

Imagine if I made the trip during the day and in the summer with a small trailer. Having the fan to kick in when I need it would be great.

Now for JUST a dialy driver and Occasoinal towing (not more than a few hours) I agree this would be overkill.

Edited by MY1PATH

Imagine if I made the trip during the day and in the summer with a small trailer. Having the fan to kick in when I need it would be great.

Having the fan will help if you slow way down or stop, but it isn't going to do anything for you at all when you have a 60 mph wind going through the cooler. As a matter of fact, depending on the size of the fanm/motor, it may impede airflow.

B

Well I think that's pretty ingenious if you ask me. I think its great to have options since everyones conditions and uses are different. To have all these varying options gives someone with no idea what to do for their situation the ability to work with ideas that would have been beyond their scope.

Awesome work on the research man.

And just in case that Summit Racing listing doesn't stay in that URL spot, the A/C Condenser that he found that was 18"(L)x 14"(H)x0.830"(THICK) was made by a company called Vintage Air. Manufacturer's Part# 03260-VUC. Vintage Air SuperFlow Horizontal Condensers

I will no doubt grab the 11" x 11" x 1-1/2" with the 29200 btu and stuff it between the condenser and the Rad. I should still get more than adequate cooling.

Now back to the RE4 Tranny a sec. Could the 2001+ version make use of the shift kits that are available for the earlier models or is that the issue they fixed?

Having the fan will help if you slow way down or stop, but it isn't going to do anything for you at all when you have a 60 mph wind going through the cooler. As a matter of fact, depending on the size of the fanm/motor, it may impede airflow.

B

yep and most of my heat was on hwy 20 and 128 goin ~30mph and 45 Max to and from mendocino. and In traffic...

Now back to the RE4 Tranny a sec. Could the 2001+ version make use of the shift kits that are available for the earlier models or is that the issue they fixed?

the shift kit makes changes to the valve body and as I understand it the HD tranny had changes made to the clutches and other internal components so as far as I know the kit will work on the HD too. You may want to email superior shift about it to be sure. they were pretty responsive when I emailed them.

Also the shift kit makes shifting a bit stiffer so you may not want more if you get the HD in and find its already crisp enough for you.

Edited by MY1PATH