How Does My 4X4 Work?

RedRider3141

So the first thing I did on my 'Splorer after changing things like belts and plugs etc was diagnose and fix a bad 4 wheel drive system. The early Explorers were real basic 4x4 systems: tranny mounted transfer case operated by either a shift lever or dash operated electric shift motor. The transfer case would drive the real wheels at all times and would turn the front drive shaft only when 4x4 was engaged. This meant that the front axle/ diff was turning too. Then the front hubs had either manual or auto hubs. If you did any regular 4x4 driving you probally had broken the auto hubs and replaced them with a set of warns. later Explorers had more complicated 4x4 systems and AWD systems with front axle disconnects or something like that.

So how do the R50s work? My truck has a manual shift transfer case but other than that I'm not sure how the power is sent to the front wheels.

I can't speak to the AWD system, but I know my part-time system (mated to the 5-speed manual) operates in a similar fashion to your old Explorer. Power is constantly sent to the rear drive shaft, but in 2WD the front drive shaft is uncoupled at the transfer case. When you engage the 4WD lever (either Hi or Lo), it engages the front drive shaft, which turns the front wheels. The wheels have drive flanges (not auto hubs), which means they are always locked to the front drive axles. So with 4WD disengaged, the wheels are still spinning the front drive axles. That is why a lot of us on this forum have replaced the front drive axles with Warn hubs. Not only does this save some mpg, it also saves wear and tear on your CV joints because now the front axles are not spinning all the time. Finally, if you're on the trail and bust a front drive axle, you can unlock the hub and still drive home (provided you don't need 4WD to do it!).

--Howie

• Like 1

yep manual hubs are a go for you, as long as you dont have the auto option. even if you did have the auto system, you'd have 2 options. leave the front hubs locked when in auto, or keep it in 2wd and unlock the hubs

as a side note, there are 2 sets of hubs available for us. mile markers and warns. mile markers are 100, warns 200. so its a matter of if you have the money do what you want. i bought the mile markers because my wallet is pinched really tight. and i havent had a single problem with them.

Edited by skulptr

yep manual hubs are a go for you, as long as you dont have the auto option. even if you did have the auto system, you'd have 2 options. leave the front hubs locked when in auto, or keep it in 2wd and unlock the hubs

as a side note, there are 2 sets of hubs available for us. mile markers and warns. mile markers are 100, warns 200. so its a matter of if you have the money do what you want. i bought the mile markers because my wallet is pinched really tight. and i havent had a single problem with them.

Thanks! I checked into the Mile Markers and they only list 90'-96' Pathfinders (6 bolt 28 spline) P/N 435. Is this what you have?

My goal would be to maximize MPGs to save $ so blowing $200 (160ish on Amazon BTW) on hubs would only make sense if I could recoup that in a few years. When I swapped the trashy autos on my Explorer I went with the basic Warns and they were great but I only used them a handful of times for light 4x4 work (snow, gravel roads, etc) they were 100% solid but I'm sure I didn't use them to their potential. My use on the Pathfinder will be the same.

Edited by RedRider3141

there is a difference between the 90-95 hubs and the 96-04 hubs. they will fit yours. and with your sayin of how you will use them, for the money, i'd go with the mile markers since you dont do any hard offroading. i beat the crap out of my mile markers on our annual meet up here, and seem to be the only one to do so without busting them. so regular every day use, you'd be just fine. i bought mine from 4x4parts.com, nothing but nissan parts!

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/drive-train-manual-locking-hubs-c-165_312.html

heres the ones i bought

https://www.4x4parts.com/nissan/mile-marker-manual-locking-hubs-p-243.html

Edited by skulptr

• 4 weeks later...

So, with the manuals, theoretically, can you leave them locked all the time, since that would basically be the same setup as with the drive flanges? My 'Ex (Sold it! Yay!) wasn't supposed to be driven with the hubs locked in above 55mph regardless of T-Case Position.

That would be handy when going skiing because then I could lock the hubs at home and just use the T-Case to switch into 4x4 when needed.

yes, leaving them locked all the time will be just like stock.

when i go to the mountains, i usually just wait to lock them until i hit some kind of chain control if road conditions are at all questionable. or i'll lock them before i leave if i'm really trying to make first chair or don't feel like locking them later.

• 3 weeks later...

Well, a couple snows and lots of true 4x2 driving and the hubs have worked like a champ! I've only put 2 tankfuls on it so far but it seems that my mileage is way up from before. I'm going to give it a few more tanks before I judge the true improvement but so far I'd definitely say there is a gain to be had by switching to manuals. I can't think of a big down side either unless you randomly come across situations that require 4x4.

One more question from this Pathfinder noob. Can I use 4x2 Low? In other words leave the hubs in 4x2 but switch my manual transfer case into Low Range? I know I can physically do it but I wanted to know if it will cause any damage to the Pathfinder. I did this every once in a while in my Explorer and found it handy option.

• 4 weeks later...

Bump for my question:

With the Manual Hubs and Manual Transfer Case can I use 4x2 Low? In other words leave the hubs in 4x2 but switch my manual transfer case into Low Range? I know I can physically do it but I wanted to know if it will cause any damage to the Pathfinder. I did this every once in a while in my Explorer and found it handy option.

not sure if the '01s had a different option than my '02, but there are only 3 positions for my floor shifter. they are 2H, 4H, and 4L. if yours is the same, you cannot leave the hubs in the free position in any other position than the 2H. switching the floor shifter into anything else while the hubs are free/unlocked will damage the transfer case.

not sure if the '01s had a different option than my '02, but there are only 3 positions for my floor shifter. they are 2H, 4H, and 4L. if yours is the same, you cannot leave the hubs in the free position in any other position than the 2H. switching the floor shifter into anything else while the hubs are free/unlocked will damage the transfer case.

My '01 has the same positions, 2H, 4H and 4L. That's kind of a bummer, using 2L came in handy once in awhile.