shift into 4x4

Guest aldo

Recently adquired a terrano 1994 4x4

Today i've the most frustrating off road experience

I confess that i never shift the terrano into 4x4 , but i tried today in a middle of a river

and climbing a 4 meter hill...

but 4x4 never works!

chaging to 4L doesnt work!

What i have to do to (I am a dork for trying to use profanity here) into 4x4 correctly!

please help me...

i dont speak english , sorry!

but you should write all in english i guess...

remember when you was newbie :)

ill wait your answers hoping it will help, for the next adventure :)

thanks in advance!

Do you have autolock front hubs ? Might be a case of not hitting the "interlock" switch on your dash (if a '94 has one like my '87~me not know) so you can engage 4x4... :shrug: Or have the auto hubs been replaced with manual locking hubs ? Get out & lock them in, then try your Hi/Lo levers.... some ppl's kids... -thnkboutit-

The interlock button just allows you to start the Pathy without stepping on the clutch. It has nothing to do with shifting into 4WD.

I think what happened is that you shifted the transfer case into neutral and didn't quite make it to 4-LO. From 2WD, the transfer case shifter lever should pull straight back one notch to 4-HI, then you need to push down on the shifter, pull it back another notch into neutral, then while still pushing down on it, pull ANOTHER notch back to put it into 4-LO. Does your 4-HI work OK? If so, there's no reason your 4-LO wouldn't be working. Your hubs may also be at fault, I can't tell without being there to see it myself.

It doesnt have manual lock

it seems that all was my fault

I'll let you know ... any progress... this case is under investigation

:wacko:

The interlock button just allows you to start the Pathy without stepping on the clutch. It has nothing to do with shifting into 4WD.

I wondered what the heck that thing was for !!! :wacko: I bought mine used (no owner's manual) and the autolocks had already been changed to Warn manuals. Duh, ya learn somethin' new every day... :D

Guest Scuppers

I had a problem as well getting into 4WD low range. Thought the shift was severely unwell until I realised had to push the lever down first before it would go where I wanted it to go. Didn't read instructions -study- Just as well was by myself so didn't get too embarrased. :D