Service Interval: Cap, Rotor, Plug Wires?

piste

Curious as to folks thoughts on this. Reason I ask is...I'm orig owner of my 97 SE and have been very good with maint since day one..much of it at the dealer :thumbsdown: . Recently went to a new local garage for the first time ...guy running it has an excellent reputation. Told him to do a tune...and he replaced the 13 year old wires, cap and rotor. The FSM actually has NO service schedule whatsoever for these items...implying run them til they fail? Now I understand as a practical matter that all three of these are items should be replaced from time to time. So curious why the FSM doesn't state that. And more importantly, interested in folks recommendations for service interval replacements for wires, cap, and rotor.

I took the wires off of my 95 last year and they were the original but in pretty good shape. The cap and rotor looked a little worn but not too bad. I would usually run these kind of things till I had a problem. The only reason I changed them as I was chasing a misfire that turned out to be 02sensor related.

I would probably change them every few years to be on the safe side (as in not to have problems in the middle of nowhere like I did).

I kept the old wires as spares but tossed the C&R

Edited by adamzan

plugs for me are usually around the 30k mark. i've always felt wires vary depending on conditions that the truck is in, and just taking a look at the wires and see how they're looking. i would also say that the cap/rotor are usually at the 30k mark as well especially since most of our trucks are in the higher mileage range.

• 2 weeks later...

what about fuel injectors ? How often do I need to change that? If I do

Once a month! No. Kidding. Hell, 15 years if you keep the fuel filter fresh. Maybe even longer. My 96 still has the originals. Even people with 88's still have originals.