How many miles manual transmission before rebuild?

moto-m

I'm at 131,000 miles, replaced the release bearing at 90,000 but otherwise original clutch and tranny. Changed all the oil (transfer, tranny and diff) once at 90,000 as well. No problems, no noises.

--Howie

If you don't shift like you are in a drag race and change the fluid every couple of years, you should never have to rebuild the manual transmission.

Edited by XSrcing

Replaced the outer release bearing (I think that's what Nissan said) at 100,000 miles.

Replaced the transmission at 137,000 miles and now it starts to give me problems again a 162,000 miles. Not sure if its the clutch/transmission. When I shift from neutral to the first gear, I've to fully depress the clutch and count up to 1 sec. before shifting the lever, otherwise it'll grind and jerk back to neutral. And then comes the smell of burning oil in the cabin when the transmission works hard (I.e. on a hot sunny day in traffic or after being on the highway for an hour). There's no leak at all. I probably have to get the trans fluid changed or just wheel an A/T.

Edited by dududuckling

Replaced the outer release bearing (I think that's what Nissan said) at 100,000 miles.

Replaced the transmission at 137,000 miles and now it starts to give me problems again a 162,000 miles. Not sure if its the clutch/transmission. When I shift from neutral to the first gear, I've to fully depress the clutch and count up to 1 sec. before shifting the lever, otherwise it'll grind and jerk back to neutral. And then comes the smell of burning oil in the cabin when the transmission works hard (I.e. on a hot sunny day in traffic or after being on the highway for an hour). There's no leak at all. I probably have to get the trans fluid changed or just wheel an A/T.

How often do you replace the fluid? Sounds like you have worn out all the friction modifiers and burning up the syncros.

• Like 1

How often do you replace the fluid? Sounds like you have worn out all the friction modifiers and burning up the syncros.

Crap!!! Last time I replaced the fluid was when I replaced the clutch and the transmission at 132,000 miles. Gonna do it again when spring comes. I'm hoping there's still warranty since I got them brand new from Nissan. Now that I'm used to the condition, I just hit the clutch early before the light turns green and keep the cabin pressure to make sure the smell doesn't get inside (Close the vent and turn on the a/c or heater and let the air recirculate within the cabin). I don't know what I did wrong, I don't even ride on the clutch or down-shift unless I really have to - hate doing the leg workout unnecessarily, hahaha... And I've only seen a couple of trails since got them brand new.

Edited by dududuckling

Check the clutch fluid, if it is down you could have a bad slave cylinder, master or damper. If they leak you could get some spray on to a hot surface should not but it could happen.

There is no way the gear oil in a standard can burn that bad, and still be as functional as yours.

Dudu, are you completely stopped before going to first? I've found that the wd21/r50 manual trans you gotta be perfectly still before it would let me into 1st. And I never got grinding.

I would definitely change the fluid. And use gl4 not gl5!

Yep, its the GL4 for sure.

Adam, what you said is true. The vehicle has to be COMPLETELY stopped before I can shift to the first gear. Even then, there are two possibilities that might happen.

Firstly, the lever might not go into the first gear and I'm guessing the teeth in the transmission didn't align properly. In this case, I've to bring it back to neutral, let go and re-depress the clutch fully, then shift it back to the first gear or sometime I just start from the second gear before getting honked at. Secondly, the lever might go to the first gear, grind, and kick back to neutral. In this case, I just hit the clutch a little longer (count to one thousand), then bring it back to the first gear or sometime just start from the second gear again. The probability of both scenarios happening is less than 10% - used to happen more often in the past, I guess I've changed my driving habit.

I haven't checked any of the clutch/trans fluid level. I'll bring it to Nissan in the spring and get the fluids replaced and checked for leakage since I don't have the skill nor the space to do it right now.

Edited by dududuckling

Dudu, are you completely stopped before going to first? I've found that the wd21/r50 manual trans you gotta be perfectly still before it would let me into 1st. And I never got grinding.

I would definitely change the fluid. And use gl4 not gl5!

I don't have any issues with shifting into first when moving. Do it all the time on the trails.