Now look what y'all made me do!

JamesRich

I was trying to climb a tree stump to get some flexy pictures that y'all like so much, but it don't seem possible in the mud with no locker in the front. I was just sliding around the stump, I guess disconnecting the sway bars would help but I do too much highway for that.

This was the best I got.

006Resized.jpg

007Resized-1.jpg

I hit the stump hard the first time I felt it lift the two opposing tires off the ground but wouldn't stay.

I didn't notice till yesterday coming home from work that now my steering wheel is clocked around the 1 O'Clock position instead of straight up. It still drives ok. I don't see anything obviously bent in the steering as far as tie rods and better not be that grass roots center link. I don't have an idler arm brace because I was waiting to find a power pitman arm for the manual box I have to do the dual box mod. Could I have bent the idler arm slightly that it wouldn't actually look bent but still throw off my steering?

I should have been hunting like I was supposed to instead of playing!

James

• Like 2

Never mind, I took some pictures to post to show that all the parts are straight and look what I found in the first one I shot.

029Resized.jpg

Look at the bolt that holds down the upper control arm. Both of them are loose and have no shims. Time for me to go back to an alignment shop and kick some @$$! This butt head charged me an extra half hour of labor because I had changed all the front end parts myself and it was supposedly going to take him a while to get it back into specs. I let him do it because I had taken off of work and already had my new tires on and didn't want to drive to Lafayette. Looks like I will have to take off work again!

James

This is a common problem for lifted IFS pathfinders. You need to put some longer bolts in there if you haven't already done so. The shop that did my alignment was actually smart and did it for me. I believe they used M14x1.5x60. Someone will correct me on that if I'm wrong, stock length is 50mm i believe.

http://www.nissanpathfinders.net/forum/index.php?showtopic=27673&view=findpost&p=517705

This is what I remember as others determining what is correct. Loctite in blue is probably a good idea too...

Also brother machinist, do what I intend and make a selection of washers for your alignment guy to use so that if there is an issue of the bolts stretching or backing out then they don't just drop out and then you are screwed...

Doesn't have to be anything special, just grind some standard washers down. I'm going to pull a bolt on the parts truck tomorrow if it isn't raining, to see what thread they are.

B

Yea we talked about this in another thread. Making one solid washer to the same thickness as the stack of shims and then harden it so it wouldn't compress. But did I do it, no not until it happens to me. I think I have some of the factory washer from when I changed the UCA that I can measure. I need to get busy making some washers. I'm still glad nothing is bent!

James

I've dealt with some race cars that use archaic spacers for alignments. We would align them, torque the bolts, then wrap the spacers with duct tape and mechanics wire. They never came out unless you wanted them to.

I was thinking about the hardened spacer I talked about making and think it might not be a good idea to harden it because if it can't flex a little it might just break the bolt off. So I took one of the old Nissan factory washer type shims to work and had the inspections department test the hardness against a regular SAE washer. The SAE washer was close but actually a little harder than the Nissan washer so they should work just fine as shims. I'll just have to run a few on the surface grinder to get different thicknesses.

James

I don't think spacers and washers are hardened at all. They are supposed to be flexible and absorb any shock. Hardening them will only increase their brittleness.

Edited by XSrcing
  • Like 1

I hope everyone knew I was joking about the tittle of this thread, I didn't think anyone would take it the wrong way. Might not be this thread either but someone left me a negative one on my reputation! I just noticed it after posting this thread. If I offended anyone I'm sorry I didn't mean to. I don't argue with anyone so I don't know why someone would X me like that! I'm a nice guy!

James

• Like 4

wasn't this thread where you got the negitive, the post that got it will have a -1 in the bottom right corner. All in this tread at least you made (except post #10 has 1 positive, someone balanced you back to neutral) have "0" for reputation.

• Like 2

I'm considering giving you another negative mark just because you seem to care... :tongue:

B

Aw come on B :angry: Like I said I'm a nice guy it bothers me if I offended some one that didn't ask for it.

wasn't this thread where you got the negitive, the post that got it will have a -1 in the bottom right corner. All in this tread at least you made (except post #10 has 1 positive, someone balanced you back to neutral) have "0" for reputation.

So that little positive and negative above the multiquote button is how you give rep points? So when someone doesn't like what I post and they give me negative rep it will show in the corner of that post?

Ya I'm up to a +4 now! Positive to everyone in this thread :aok:

James

Aw come on B :angry: Like I said I'm a nice guy it bothers me if I offended some one that didn't ask for it.

In all seriousness Bud, don't worry about it. No one can please all of the people all of the time. I'm sure all of the regulars recognize your value and that you are a good, helpful guy. That's pretty much all that matters.

As for how the rating system works, I have no idea. I have never clicked the button once and have more important things to do that vote on a popularity contest... :shrug:

B

Lol, I too gave him +1 on the thread...dunno where a - came from.....hamburglar?

Nah... Those sneaky sneaky Fry Guys :aok:

In all seriousness Bud, don't worry about it. No one can please all of the people all of the time. I'm sure all of the regulars recognize your value and that you are a good, helpful guy. That's pretty much all that matters.

As for how the rating system works, I have no idea. I have never clicked the button once and have more important things to do that vote on a popularity contest... :shrug:

B

Pretty much, besides one day I think people were screwin around with em in poho, I don't think most people actually care. Was giving me something to do hunting it but I lost ambition :shrug: try to sleep easy over it.

Me me me! :lol:

Those bolts do tend to cause a lot of issues. I believe Silverton lost his UCA due to the bolts backing out.

Of course one for you too, the guy thats giving me guidance with my fuel injection project. If you fly down here and help me swap it out I'll give you like 100 positives!

James